River Ure 2020....

ashley

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread.....this is my target for this year, if I can, to catch a Yorkshire salmon on the fly...... Good luck to those other brave souls who are also trying to achieve the same thing....

scagit

Reaction score
I lost a brute of fish on the Ure last year see if I can make amends this year. It is lovely pristine river.

Dalesman

Reaction score
Biggest I was made of for 2019 was a 25lb Hen fish of Lord Bolton water. The upper beats fish best in Autumn

andy345

Reaction score
I’ve joined a syndicate on the Ure this year too, it’s possibly the nearest to home in Lincolnshire, I drove up last weekend and cast a dry for some trout, although I also took a switch rod with me
It didn’t make appearance, we are desperate for water and I look forward to a cast as soon as we get some. The pools I’m sure will look nice with some water on though and it might serve as a back up plan if my Scottish trip happens to be hampered by travel restrictions later in the year (though I’d hope we’d be clear by then).

andy345

Reaction score
I’m out for a go tomorrow - the Farson webcams are invaluable and the colour appears to be improving after a good lift the last couple of days, tomorrow could be great conditions- I’ll report back.

andy345

Reaction score
Has anybody had a go yet? I tried on Sunday in good water, I didn’t get on the scoreboard but did see a fish head and tail right in front of me as it passed through. I’ve also heard reports of a decent fish lost down at Tanfield.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Not enough water yet to get me out. It might have been enough to fish on Sunday and Monday, but we need a sustained lift to pull fish up from the Humber.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
There's a useful one on the way: currently +8 feet at Kilgram with more rain due tonight further up Wensleydale. Allowing time for it to reach Selby and fish to react you'd probably want to be out somewhere between Ripon and Masham on Thursday or Friday.

Dalesman

Reaction score
I was out with the dogs and walked the Ure had a small lift after the thunder storms. I reckon Swinton beats are the best option. Single handed or switch rod would be the way to go, unless we have some sustained rain for three or four days.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Now up by 6-8 feet all the way down to York and rising through +4 feet at Naburn. The gauge at Westwick weir is bumping the flood warning line. Any fish lurking in the Humber will start to run on tonight's high tide. The open question is how many will choose to progress beyond Tanfield weir. Hopefully the USG counter and camera at Mickley will spot them on the way through.

It's unlikely that many fish will appear above Masham before next weekend. On the other hand the Ure's 'pathfinders' do tend to be big and will move whenever there's enough water to get over the obstacles: I've spotted the occasional submarine entering the Bolton waters in spring.

The best news is that this spate will flush out all the gunge that will have accumulated during the combination of prolonged low water levels, bright sunlight and high temperatures that have prevailed since April, and thereby improve the oxygen situation for when these runners drop anchor.

Tim1984

Reaction score
There be some fish in the system now! I’d love to fish the Ure but can’t find anywhere that’s good fly water that doesn’t cost as much as your license for a days fishing.

andy345

Reaction score
Im Out for a go tomorrow afternoon, got to pick up some new waders for my son on the way so he’s watertight! A silver dish seen tonight in the beat I fish so hoping for a few others to be around, fingers crossed

MCXFisher

Reaction score
There be some fish in the system now! I’d love to fish the Ure but can’t find anywhere that’s good fly water that doesn’t cost as much as your license for a days fishing.
Go to Sleningford Mill and caravan park. Half a mile of lovely fly water in exactly the right place for this week, for £20 per day.

andy345

Reaction score
Go to Sleningford Mill and caravan park. Half a mile of lovely fly water in exactly the right place for this week, for £20 per day.
Is it open for fishing at the moment, I tried to ring a couple of times after lockdown was lifted but all I could find was an answer phone message - I wasn’t prepared to risk the journey to not be able to get a ticket when I arrived

Niccancatch

Reaction score
Wether lock down, the river is only good with water...great river , no water....don’t waste your time or money!!!!!!!

Last edited:

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I've spoken to the manager at Sleningford Mill this morning (I was hoping to fish on Friday). She sadly informed me that as a result of their activities to prepare the site for re-opening on 4th July it is impossible to allow angling at the moment. Once they're back in full operation they will review the policy as they are keen to see anglers in future.

For those hoping to intercept a fresh fish it should be possible to get onto Swinton Park.

ashley

Reaction score
I've spoken to the manager at Sleningford Mill this morning (I was hoping to fish on Friday). She sadly informed me that as a result of their activities to prepare the site for re-opening on 4th July it is impossible to allow angling at the moment. Once they're back in full operation they will review the policy as they are keen to see anglers in future.

For those hoping to intercept a fresh fish it should be possible to get onto Swinton Park.
I also spoke to them earlier in the week and they said to email them in a fortnight, but then the summer holidays will be on and it might be too busy with people. Are there any other day ticket waters on the ure around masham? And how much is the Blue Lion beat, I hear good things about that but, again, it might be too early... or anywhere in the Ripon area?...