River Tyne

Springer

Reaction score
Welcome to those who fish or are interested in fishing the Tyne system. It has been a funny old season in 2007.

High water has been in abundance this year especially in the Spring and the wet Summer has encouraged fish to move through the system quicker than normal. I have not heard of many red letter days this year but maybe some of you guys will tell me otherwise.

Last edited:

splash

Reaction score
River Tyne - Wylam

River Tyne Wylam October 28th 2007

Springer kindly invited Zephead and I down to fish the Tyne at Wylam for an end of the season bash. I drove down to the Black Bull in Wylam on Saturday night to find Zephead tucking into the largest mixed grill I have ever set eyes on and Spinger celebrating his 40th:eek: Salar 76 (Laurence) was also in attendance and would be fishing upstream from us at Farham the next day, so we celebrated with a few beers and a bit off good old fashioned Geordie hospitality which even with the clocks going back seemed to last into the middle of the night:)

Fishing a) for salmon in England and b) for salmon on a Sunday, for the first time ever (well except when I was a boy ;)) felt like some sort of guilty pleasure but this was soon extiguished as the early cloud cover burnt off to give the usual Splash 2007 backend conditions of 70deg, bright sunshine and blue skies prevailed making our chances and those of the cutlery chuckers on the other bank of the bridge pool diminish by the minute

Splash Back End Weather Strikes Again

No fish were caught on the day (its becoming a bit too familiar a theme this back end) but we had a smashing time testing rod and line combos, great craic and a brunch to die for at Alan’s place – dining al fresco on bacon and egg rolls in the winter sun - fantastic. Laurence later reported a 4lb liced grilse up on Fareham. Well deserved given the dedication and horrendous trip he had to endure getting up from London to fish for the weekend.

Zephead and Springer discuss how to cast long bellied spey lines out of sight

Geordie Bridge

Last edited:

salar76

Reaction score
Great to meet you up there Splash. Shame about my strangely sore head on Sunday morning. Still, nothing like a tight line to make it a distant memory! It certainly made that 'horrendous' trip worthwhile!

Cheers

Lawrence

greenbanks

Reaction score
Hatchery

Are they still working the Keilder hatchery these days?
If so does it help the system or only the north Tyne?

Auld Kelt

Reaction score
Bywell Bywell read all about it

Hi folks
You may wish to check out the article in the current issue of Fieldsports magazine where they interview Lord Allendale about the new Bywell set up......
I am also hearing rumours of a meeting in Corbridge shortly of the riparian owners , in view of the Bywell situation I await the results with interest. Will post more here if I get to know. Sorry if all of this is old news, been away for a bit with a domestic.
AK

Tyne Andrew

Reaction score
Hi folks
You may wish to check out the article in the current issue of Fieldsports magazine where they interview Lord Allendale about the new Bywell set up......
I am also hearing rumours of a meeting in Corbridge shortly of the riparian owners , in view of the Bywell situation I await the results with interest. Will post more here if I get to know. Sorry if all of this is old news, been away for a bit with a domestic.
AK
Are you referring to the meeting for riparian owners who are being sold the 'fishtyne' concept for marketing their fishings?

Auld Kelt

Reaction score
Yep that sounds like the meeting, got the info second hand so will be waiting nervously to hear what the reaction is and if it will have any effect on clubs such as Hexham, Corbridge etc etc.

Springer

Reaction score
Its to be held in the Corbrige Village Hall on 4th Jan, anyone can attend, contact Tot Charlton via fishtyne website to book a place.

I will be having a nosey.

al44

Reaction score
Hi folks

AK

Any pertinent comments in the article that would be of interest to an ex-Bywell member?

Pizza

Reaction score
Free fishing at Bywell?

There is free fishing to anyone who turns up at the Bywell water on a Sunday, just don't get caught.

Bywell must be desperate to avoid another season like 2007. Can we expect a certain Adriano Pancetta to be called in to get the numbers up again? Surely he, a certain Pipeline based Bywell angler, or even the North Tyne based Robert Keeney would have been a better choice for a Ghillie. Seems silly to bring in someone who knows noot aboot the Tyne.

Tyne Andrew

Reaction score
There is free fishing to anyone who turns up at the Bywell water on a Sunday, just don't get caught.

Bywell must be desperate to avoid another season like 2007. Can we expect a certain Adriano Pancetta to be called in to get the numbers up again? Surely he, a certain Pipeline based Bywell angler, or even the North Tyne based Robert Keeney would have been a better choice for a Ghillie. Seems silly to bring in someone who knows noot aboot the Tyne.
He is from Tyneside, and was previously on Dinnet - sure he will get to grips with it quickly

Pizza

Reaction score
It takes time

I met him and he doesn't know much about the bottom part of the river or Tyne runs. It takes time to learn any river, obviously the Estate doesn't care about service unless it knocks onto bookings/income. IMO they should have hired Mr Pancetta, a character but he knows the river and knows how to get the best out of the stretch.

splash

Reaction score
I have fished with Gary at Dinnet & really enjoyed his company , his knowledge of the beat and his pleasant and easy going manner coupled with his knowledge of the beat was impressive - he even gave me a couple of nice flies ;) He was previously at Stracathro on the North Esk so has fished with a wide variety of anglers and experienced different river conditons.

Pizza, rather than do the insular & recalcitrant geordie bit, I'd suggest that you give him a chance to get to get to know the beat and I'm sure he will do a stellar job :)

Last edited:

Greenalert

Reaction score
Met Gary as well, I think 2 seasons ago & he came across as a really nice guy who certainly knew his stuff

Pizza

Reaction score
Don't show yourself up

Pizza, rather than do the insular & recalcitrant geordie bit....
If Santa delivers a dictionary then you will be able to check the meaning of words, therefore avoiding inclusion of the irrelevant and nonsensical within your sentences.

splash

Reaction score
If Santa delivers a dictionary then you will be able to check the meaning of words, therefore avoiding inclusion of the irrelevant and nonsensical within your sentences.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my diction or understanding of these words. If they have touched a raw nerve then I'm sorry but your posts came across as inward looking and hostile and were unreceptive towards Gary's appointment as a ghillie on the Tyne. As someone who has fished with him in the past, and found him to be good & enthusistic at his profession this merited a response to the contrary

Auld Kelt

Reaction score
One thing worth pointing out is that no matter how good the new ghillies are, it would be a bit unfair to judge them by catch returns for the first couple of seasons at least.
In previous seasons a few very skilled and experienced rods have contributed greatly to the catch returns. They knew how each pool fished at different heights , the impact of kielder etc etc and fished each week accordingly. This knowledge obviously takes a while to be built up and IMHO visiting rods without it will be at a disadvantage through no fault of the ghillies.

Bywell is being sold to the public based on catch returns that included a bonanza season in 2004 sadly this is not an indication of what to expect each year.
Good luck to all who fish it...... just don't expect miracles.

Pizza

Reaction score
Don't make me laugh

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my diction or understanding of these words. If they have touched a raw nerve then I'm sorry but your posts came across as inward looking and hostile and were unreceptive towards Gary's appointment as a ghillie on the Tyne. As someone who has fished with him in the past, and found him to be good & enthusistic at his profession this merited a response to the contrary
...far from touching a raw nerve I find your remarks amusing. I won't list the dictionary definition of your words (one especially) because the result would be contrary to the Christmas spirit.

Why you and others feel the need to defend Gary's salmon fishing knowledge is bewildering, I only challenged his knowledge of the Tyne/Salmon and as a "newcomer" he was man enough to admit/appreciate certain aspects of facts surrounding said aspects.

Pizza

Reaction score
Spot on Ault Kelt

I would have thought that anyone with any experience would have realised that the catch return figures, and I'll not comment upon the degree of accuracy, were not arrived at after a casual chuck into the river. Many people make a lot of remarks about Mr "Adriano Pancetta" behind his back but he did a lot to ensure the beats were fished and fish were caught. IMO, from a business aspect the hiring of Mr Pancetta would have been a no brainer. Even if they did wish to bring in a full time professional ghillie then the ovious thing to do would have been to have Mr Pancetta spend at least a season with any new guy.

It is a shame what is happening, in that the locals are chucked off, but it is a old story elsewhere. My only hope is that another dodgy season results in a change of strategy at Allendale Estates, with the result that a Syndicate is allowed back on...but with a max of 4 rods on each beat!

I aint got anywhere to fish my Pinky's this Spring!

Auld Kelt

Reaction score
Hope you get sorted with some fishing Pizza, if I hear of any decent syndicate rods going before the season starts I'll pm you with details ok?
All the best
AK

Auld Kelt

Reaction score
Big spate

Stonking big spate belting down the river at the moment. Highest I have seen it for a long time since the infamous spate that flooded Carlisle et al. Must have been some downpour in the west!!
I always find a huge river fascinating to watch, the sheer power is awesome .Plenty of big trees complete with whole root systems going past like leaves .
As we watched, this afternoon, a huge sandy cliff face 20ft high or more collapsed into the river through the sheer water pressure.

Will be interesting to see how it has affected the pools when it drops !
AK

Last edited:

Tyne Andrew

Reaction score
I see the new hut at Bywell is very much Spey style (could call it your home)

I also noted the burglar alarm on it - wise idea on the lower Tyne, although it might not deter the hardcore

tenet

Reaction score
Bywell

They seem to have let all of the rods for the coming season except a few weks in Feb. At £6,600/wk for 4 rods in Sept/Oct they will need a recovery room as well as a Spey style "hut" if the river is low and they are all cueing to fish the Pipe Pool.

Tyne Andrew

Reaction score
They seem to have let all of the rods for the coming season except a few weks in Feb. At £6,600/wk for 4 rods in Sept/Oct they will need a recovery room as well as a Spey style "hut" if the river is low and they are all cueing to fish the Pipe Pool.

It's pretty depressing in low water the Tyne - anywhere on it virtually. And some years it will sit like that for many weeks on end. I do feel sorry for the gillie when these times come as it really is a dead loss river in low water. Saying that the Tweed is pretty grim in low water - but there are more fish to go at.

Some people will have a good time though

tenet

Reaction score
Spell check on Byewell

Did I rerally spell QUEUING as Cueing. Must put more water in next time!!!!!