River Tyne 2021

lostangler

Reaction score
I spent three days with my seven year old boy, Huey on the Haltwhistle AA beats this weekend. We had a successful time, landing two fish, with two other good pulls, and otherwise exploring a lovely bit of water around Featherstone that we will surely return to.
The boy learned to double spey with a ten foot Hardy fibertube that my dad built 25 years ago and stuck a three inch handle on to turn it into a rod for him. It worked a treat with a 250 grain maxcatch Skagit head, so much so that I was hard pushed to let go of it and hooked a 32" fish on it on Friday afternoon. I felt bad and handed the rod to the boy who "battled" the fish for a few seconds before giving the rod back to me, frankly scared shitless. I beached the fish and Huey then, having ably taken a quick photo of me holding the fish, then somehow instinctively did a passable impression of Frodin with his recent 50lber, before releasing it. Funny.
On the Saturday we tried various spots around Wydon Farm and Featherstone, working on Huey's spey cast and trying to make the most of the falling river. It was that afternoon that I got two good pulls in the same pool on a fly my brother tied for me. Gutted that the fish didn't stick.
I returned to the pool of two pulls at first light on the Sunday and made it good with a 31"er, christening my new T-Pac, a truly lovely rod,in the process. Sadly the boy was still in bed and not able to share in that particular pleasure.
It was a great three days, and unforgettable time spent with my firstborn. We're planning the next trip in the New Year when he'll be a bit older and hopefully a little more confident with the rod in hand. Maybe the Findhorn FAA water for a chance of a Springer...

Attachments

• IMG20211010075259.jpg
    IMG20211010075259.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 169
  • IMG20211010112743.jpg
    IMG20211010112743.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 174
  • IMG20211008153118.jpg
    IMG20211008153118.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 170
  • IMG20211008153015.jpg
    IMG20211008153015.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 170

Sim

Reaction score
We’ve had around 15+ this week mate
Thanks Adam, that’s good news. I was meant to be coming up next weekend but our youngest tested positive for Covid yesterday so we are isolating - my season is done ! All the best for the rest of the month. Sim

dave_n

Reaction score
Morning gents....does anyone know if Alston has reported any catches at all?
Thinking of having a fish on sunday...cheers

Andrew B

Reaction score
I spent three days with my seven year old boy, Huey on the Haltwhistle AA beats this weekend. We had a successful time, landing two fish, with two other good pulls, and otherwise exploring a lovely bit of water around Featherstone that we will surely return to.
The boy learned to double spey with a ten foot Hardy fibertube that my dad built 25 years ago and stuck a three inch handle on to turn it into a rod for him. It worked a treat with a 250 grain maxcatch Skagit head, so much so that I was hard pushed to let go of it and hooked a 32" fish on it on Friday afternoon. I felt bad and handed the rod to the boy who "battled" the fish for a few seconds before giving the rod back to me, frankly scared shitless. I beached the fish and Huey then, having ably taken a quick photo of me holding the fish, then somehow instinctively did a passable impression of Frodin with his recent 50lber, before releasing it. Funny.
On the Saturday we tried various spots around Wydon Farm and Featherstone, working on Huey's spey cast and trying to make the most of the falling river. It was that afternoon that I got two good pulls in the same pool on a fly my brother tied for me. Gutted that the fish didn't stick.
I returned to the pool of two pulls at first light on the Sunday and made it good with a 31"er, christening my new T-Pac, a truly lovely rod,in the process. Sadly the boy was still in bed and not able to share in that particular pleasure.
It was a great three days, and unforgettable time spent with my firstborn. We're planning the next trip in the New Year when he'll be a bit older and hopefully a little more confident with the rod in hand. Maybe the Findhorn FAA water for a chance of a Springer...
Unforgettable is the right word. I can still remember my dad taking me to catch minnows in a jam jar and I reckon that’s where I picked up the fishing bug. Nice to see some fish coming off the Lune.

tenet

Reaction score
My pal had a couple from the hotel waters last week. He saw loads of fish but they just wouldn't take. I remember some of the syndicate boys on Bywell saying that the big releases from kielder drop the water temperature quite suddenly which puts the fish off for a few days.

viking boy

Reaction score
Morning All,

Would welcome some local knowledge if possible.

I have the option to fish on Thursday of this week, although I note there’s heavy rain forecast on Wednesday until 19:00 in the N Tyne catchment; Kielder release should be 9 cumecs. What sort of levels am I likely to be faced with on the N Tyne Thursday morning? Will it be a big water?

I’m based in Stamford in Lincolnshire so it’s a good three and a half hours in the car; would like to know it’s worth it before I set off!

Many thanks in advance,

Josh

Sim

Reaction score
Morning All,

Would welcome some local knowledge if possible.

I have the option to fish on Thursday of this week, although I note there’s heavy rain forecast on Wednesday until 19:00 in the N Tyne catchment; Kielder release should be 9 cumecs. What sort of levels am I likely to be faced with on the N Tyne Thursday morning? Will it be a big water?

I’m based in Stamford in Lincolnshire so it’s a good three and a half hours in the car; would like to know it’s worth it before I set off!

Many thanks in advance,

Josh
Josh,

I had a very similar forecast 3 weeks ago - the river went up by about 3 foot in an hour and was unfishable - I drove back to Stamford to pick my kids up from school.

The forecasts up there can be inaccurate, but if that one is right, you would be better off on the Welland.

Cheers

Sim

viking boy

Reaction score
Josh,

I had a very similar forecast 3 weeks ago - the river went up by about 3 foot in an hour and was unfishable - I drove back to Stamford to pick my kids up from school.

The forecasts up there can be inaccurate, but if that one is right, you would be better off on the Welland.

Cheers

Sim
Thanks Sim.

I think I already knew the answer to the question to be honest! I just wanted there to be hope as my opportunities to get on the river are few and far between.

I’ll keep an eye on the weather as it seems to change by the hour. Maybe I’ll be lucky!

Thanks again,

Josh

Daventus

Reaction score
Thanks Sim.

I think I already knew the answer to the question to be honest! I just wanted there to be hope as my opportunities to get on the river are few and far between.

I’ll keep an eye on the weather as it seems to change by the hour. Maybe I’ll be lucky!

It depends where your fishing,At the moment it’s very quiet nothing like it should be,very few fish and black as coal.Stay at home is my advice.

Thanks again,

Josh

Nath

Reaction score
We all done then lads and lasses? out of our hands maybe I know…

my catches are under half what I would expect, we all the same?

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Worse than half for me given the effort, but I feel lucky to have had one in the net this year.

No water forever and when the water did come I think the fish that were around were just razzed off with the whole affair.

Dissapointed I didn’t connect on that 2nd rise at the beginning of Oct, perfect water and I was fishing like a hero. 😂

Roll on next season!

Daventus

Reaction score
We all done then lads and lasses? out of our hands maybe I know…

my catches are under half what I would expect, we all the same?
Only fished 6 times due to conditions that it was going to be a blank year but managed this little in today before water started to colour up first pull of the year,normally I would expect to have had 5 or 6 and about the same for seatrout

Attachments

• F282C78E-CDD8-4951-BD9F-4746C77B286E.jpeg
    F282C78E-CDD8-4951-BD9F-4746C77B286E.jpeg
    268.8 KB · Views: 89

Nath

Reaction score
Only fished 6 times due to conditions that it was going to be a blank year but managed this little in today before water started to colour up first pull of the year,normally I would expect to have had 5 or 6 and about the same for seatrout
Glad you got one, well done!!

Sim

Reaction score
Seasons greetings. How many days do you think Bob Mortimer fished to catch that super salmon ?

Mattytree

Reaction score
Seasons greetings. How many days do you think Bob Mortimer fished to catch that super salmon ?
It looked like they did two days ... it did rain the night of the second day so they got a few hours on the morning of the third and that was when bib had his fish.... I am surprised it did take that long though and whinehouse didn't catch as they had some of the best fishing on the N Tyne to explore.