River Tyne 2021

BellinghamSalmon

Reaction score
Whichever stretch Riverdale have Adam - the stretch they advertise as Carrieth.

When I was in the Felling, they had Hesleyside until September, which was all right bank. Parking at the top of the beat was adjacent to some stone farm buildings, just off the road.

I am assuming Carrieth is the beat above Hesleyside , but perhaps some of it covers the opposite bank of Hesleyside and I am getting mixed up ? I didn't ever see anybody fishing on the opposite bank of Hesleyside.

Taking the road upstream of the Hesleyside farm buildings it got quite steep with a wooded bank. Looked a bit tricky from a distance as you drove along - as I remember.
Carriteth is 2 above hesleyside the Newton beat is in between carriteth and hesleyside , if you want to have a chat about it feel free to drop me a text or ring me will pm my number . Adam

offshore

Reaction score
Riverdales Carriteth beat is the left bank of the river below Tarset. Access is nice and easy with clear banks. Opposite side is the top of Fellings water which has poor access.
Thanks, I have got my bearings now - much appreciated.

cuda

Reaction score
afternoon chaps, I have never fished the Tyne and was considering the long (3hrs+) trek up to fish PAAS beats this weekend which appears could be the last opportunity to this year - I don't expect any secrets or inside knowledge, but what's the collective experience view? Is it worth a try or just wasting diesel? thanks in advance.

Mick_G

Reaction score
afternoon chaps, I have never fished the Tyne and was considering the long (3hrs+) trek up to fish PAAS beats this weekend which appears could be the last opportunity to this year - I don't expect any secrets or inside knowledge, but what's the collective experience view? Is it worth a try or just wasting diesel? thanks in advance.
Which beats do PAAS have on the Tyne now? Alston?

plenty fish coming off the south Tyne at the moment but it’s obviously water dependant 👍

Rutlander

Reaction score
Yes Alston, which I go all the way up there I may also head west to the Eden at Brocklewath as we have water there too.
So how much salmon fishing do PAAS have? It isn't apparent on their website, the waters seem to be listed in the member's area.

cuda

Reaction score
So how much salmon fishing do PAAS have? It isn't apparent on their website, the waters seem to be listed in the member's area.
It is a bit of a closed shop - social media posts etc discouraged but the answer is a lot - Eden, S Tyne, Lune, Ribble plus an awful lot in west wales with Salmon and sea trout to name a few. None in the east midlands annoyingly - got some of the Trent but not where there are salmon being occasionally reported

cuda

Reaction score
Just had a look at PAAS and there is a three year waiting list for adults, join the que.o_Oo_O
Yes...I think I waited three years and now I have moved east I am not really near any of it but for £120 a year I am not giving up the spot, even if I only go a handful of times a year and have a long drive.

Pancho

Reaction score
Hi All

How is the Tyne fishing ? I fish the River Kent and it is really dire loads of water and fish seem none existent. Booked this week off for fishing is there any good day ticket water going on Tyne. I fish Spinner and Worm if allowed

Thanks in advance

lostangler

Reaction score
I spent three days with my seven year old boy, Huey on the Haltwhistle AA beats this weekend. We had a successful time, landing two fish, with two other good pulls, and otherwise exploring a lovely bit of water around Featherstone that we will surely return to.
The boy learned to double spey with a ten foot Hardy fibertube that my dad built 25 years ago and stuck a three inch handle on to turn it into a rod for him. It worked a treat with a 250 grain maxcatch Skagit head, so much so that I was hard pushed to let go of it and hooked a 32" fish on it on Friday afternoon. I felt bad and handed the rod to the boy who "battled" the fish for a few seconds before giving the rod back to me, frankly scared shitless. I beached the fish and Huey then, having ably taken a quick photo of me holding the fish, then somehow instinctively did a passable impression of Frodin with his recent 50lber, before releasing it. Funny.
On the Saturday we tried various spots around Wydon Farm and Featherstone, working on Huey's spey cast and trying to make the most of the falling river. It was that afternoon that I got two good pulls in the same pool on a fly my brother tied for me. Gutted that the fish didn't stick.
I returned to the pool of two pulls at first light on the Sunday and made it good with a 31"er, christening my new T-Pac, a truly lovely rod,in the process. Sadly the boy was still in bed and not able to share in that particular pleasure.
It was a great three days, and unforgettable time spent with my firstborn. We're planning the next trip in the New Year when he'll be a bit older and hopefully a little more confident with the rod in hand. Maybe the Findhorn FAA water for a chance of a Springer...

Attachments

• IMG20211010075259.jpg
    IMG20211010075259.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG20211010112743.jpg
    IMG20211010112743.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG20211008153118.jpg
    IMG20211008153118.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 159
  • IMG20211008153015.jpg
    IMG20211008153015.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 155

Sim

Reaction score
We’ve had around 15+ this week mate
Thanks Adam, that’s good news. I was meant to be coming up next weekend but our youngest tested positive for Covid yesterday so we are isolating - my season is done ! All the best for the rest of the month. Sim

dave_n

Reaction score
Morning gents....does anyone know if Alston has reported any catches at all?
Thinking of having a fish on sunday...cheers

Andrew B

Reaction score
I spent three days with my seven year old boy, Huey on the Haltwhistle AA beats this weekend. We had a successful time, landing two fish, with two other good pulls, and otherwise exploring a lovely bit of water around Featherstone that we will surely return to.
The boy learned to double spey with a ten foot Hardy fibertube that my dad built 25 years ago and stuck a three inch handle on to turn it into a rod for him. It worked a treat with a 250 grain maxcatch Skagit head, so much so that I was hard pushed to let go of it and hooked a 32" fish on it on Friday afternoon. I felt bad and handed the rod to the boy who "battled" the fish for a few seconds before giving the rod back to me, frankly scared shitless. I beached the fish and Huey then, having ably taken a quick photo of me holding the fish, then somehow instinctively did a passable impression of Frodin with his recent 50lber, before releasing it. Funny.
On the Saturday we tried various spots around Wydon Farm and Featherstone, working on Huey's spey cast and trying to make the most of the falling river. It was that afternoon that I got two good pulls in the same pool on a fly my brother tied for me. Gutted that the fish didn't stick.
I returned to the pool of two pulls at first light on the Sunday and made it good with a 31"er, christening my new T-Pac, a truly lovely rod,in the process. Sadly the boy was still in bed and not able to share in that particular pleasure.
It was a great three days, and unforgettable time spent with my firstborn. We're planning the next trip in the New Year when he'll be a bit older and hopefully a little more confident with the rod in hand. Maybe the Findhorn FAA water for a chance of a Springer...
Unforgettable is the right word. I can still remember my dad taking me to catch minnows in a jam jar and I reckon that’s where I picked up the fishing bug. Nice to see some fish coming off the Lune.

tenet

Reaction score
My pal had a couple from the hotel waters last week. He saw loads of fish but they just wouldn't take. I remember some of the syndicate boys on Bywell saying that the big releases from kielder drop the water temperature quite suddenly which puts the fish off for a few days.