River Tyne 2021

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Morning all,

I get to fish 2 days on the South Tyne at the weekend and I wanted to get some recommendations on Line setups and flies please? I am fishing at Haltwhistle. I have rods and lines (waaaay too many lines and tips) from 7 to 10 weight.

I want to be able to get to the water with an idea on a setup in my head and then crack on and fish it as effectively as I can. Certainly, some pools will need a change of tip here or there.

My gut feeling is a rod in the 7 to 8 weight with a Slow sink tip on a RIO SSVT with a size 8 double on the point.
Then an 8wt rod 13ft'ish with a fast sink tip and a reddish conhead tube?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Morning all,

I get to fish 2 days on the South Tyne at the weekend and I wanted to get some recommendations on Line setups and flies please? I am fishing at Haltwhistle. I have rods and lines (waaaay too many lines and tips) from 7 to 10 weight.

I want to be able to get to the water with an idea on a setup in my head and then crack on and fish it as effectively as I can. Certainly, some pools will need a change of tip here or there.

My gut feeling is a rod in the 7 to 8 weight with a Slow sink tip on a RIO SSVT with a size 8 double on the point.
Then an 8wt rod 13ft'ish with a fast sink tip and a reddish conhead tube?
Id take a good selection with you and fish to the conditions on the day. For the weekend it could vary wildly depending how fast it drops and clears over the next few days.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Id take a good selection with you and fish to the conditions on the day. For the weekend it could vary wildly depending how fast it drops and clears over the next few days.

I've tied 7 boxes of salmon flies in a year. I've tons of the flaming things! 😁

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've tied 7 boxes of salmon flies in a year. I've tons of the flaming things!
Im the same ive got boxes of flies but only really use 3 sorts late season. Either a small calvin shrimp, something shrimpy like a cascade or allys and if they dont work ill chuck a temple dog on to try and get an agressive reaction. Thats for the coquet though but works for me.

offshore

Reaction score
I have fished Hesleyside before, when it was part of Felling's water - but not Carrieth.

Could anybody please tell me if Carrieth (above) has similar accessibility / bank maintenance ? I seemed to remember driving on the road up-river from Hesleyside and the surrounding bank looked quite steep. I am not sure if the person I would like to go with, could manage anything too tricky.

I guess the other obvious question is which is the better beat - fly water/pools. Thanks.

BellinghamSalmon

Reaction score
I have fished Hesleyside before, when it was part of Felling's water - but not Carrieth.

Could anybody please tell me if Carrieth (above) has similar accessibility / bank maintenance ? I seemed to remember driving on the road up-river from Hesleyside and the surrounding bank looked quite steep. I am not sure if the person I would like to go with, could manage anything too tricky.

I guess the other obvious question is which is the better beat - fly water/pools. Thanks.
Depends which side your fishing from? Do you mean the felling side which is right bank or left bank which Riverdale have ? Adam

offshore

Reaction score
Depends which side your fishing from? Do you mean the felling side which is right bank or left bank which Riverdale have ? Adam
Whichever stretch Riverdale have Adam - the stretch they advertise as Carrieth.

When I was in the Felling, they had Hesleyside until September, which was all right bank. Parking at the top of the beat was adjacent to some stone farm buildings, just off the road.

I am assuming Carrieth is the beat above Hesleyside , but perhaps some of it covers the opposite bank of Hesleyside and I am getting mixed up ? I didn't ever see anybody fishing on the opposite bank of Hesleyside.

Taking the road upstream of the Hesleyside farm buildings it got quite steep with a wooded bank. Looked a bit tricky from a distance as you drove along - as I remember.

Last edited:

Tyne Angler

Reaction score
Riverdales Carriteth beat is the left bank of the river below Tarset. Access is nice and easy with clear banks. Opposite side is the top of Fellings water which has poor access.

BellinghamSalmon

Reaction score
Whichever stretch Riverdale have Adam - the stretch they advertise as Carrieth.

When I was in the Felling, they had Hesleyside until September, which was all right bank. Parking at the top of the beat was adjacent to some stone farm buildings, just off the road.

I am assuming Carrieth is the beat above Hesleyside , but perhaps some of it covers the opposite bank of Hesleyside and I am getting mixed up ? I didn't ever see anybody fishing on the opposite bank of Hesleyside.

Taking the road upstream of the Hesleyside farm buildings it got quite steep with a wooded bank. Looked a bit tricky from a distance as you drove along - as I remember.
Carriteth is 2 above hesleyside the Newton beat is in between carriteth and hesleyside , if you want to have a chat about it feel free to drop me a text or ring me will pm my number . Adam

offshore

Reaction score
Riverdales Carriteth beat is the left bank of the river below Tarset. Access is nice and easy with clear banks. Opposite side is the top of Fellings water which has poor access.
Thanks, I have got my bearings now - much appreciated.

cuda

Reaction score
afternoon chaps, I have never fished the Tyne and was considering the long (3hrs+) trek up to fish PAAS beats this weekend which appears could be the last opportunity to this year - I don't expect any secrets or inside knowledge, but what's the collective experience view? Is it worth a try or just wasting diesel? thanks in advance.

Mick_G

Reaction score
afternoon chaps, I have never fished the Tyne and was considering the long (3hrs+) trek up to fish PAAS beats this weekend which appears could be the last opportunity to this year - I don't expect any secrets or inside knowledge, but what's the collective experience view? Is it worth a try or just wasting diesel? thanks in advance.
Which beats do PAAS have on the Tyne now? Alston?

plenty fish coming off the south Tyne at the moment but it’s obviously water dependant 👍

Rutlander

Reaction score
Yes Alston, which I go all the way up there I may also head west to the Eden at Brocklewath as we have water there too.
So how much salmon fishing do PAAS have? It isn't apparent on their website, the waters seem to be listed in the member's area.

cuda

Reaction score
So how much salmon fishing do PAAS have? It isn't apparent on their website, the waters seem to be listed in the member's area.
It is a bit of a closed shop - social media posts etc discouraged but the answer is a lot - Eden, S Tyne, Lune, Ribble plus an awful lot in west wales with Salmon and sea trout to name a few. None in the east midlands annoyingly - got some of the Trent but not where there are salmon being occasionally reported

cuda

Reaction score
Just had a look at PAAS and there is a three year waiting list for adults, join the que.o_Oo_O
Yes...I think I waited three years and now I have moved east I am not really near any of it but for £120 a year I am not giving up the spot, even if I only go a handful of times a year and have a long drive.

Pancho

Reaction score
Hi All

How is the Tyne fishing ? I fish the River Kent and it is really dire loads of water and fish seem none existent. Booked this week off for fishing is there any good day ticket water going on Tyne. I fish Spinner and Worm if allowed

Thanks in advance