River Tyne 2021

Nath

Reaction score
1st day of my trip to the Tyne. Managed to land these 2 and lost 1.

Both on a Sunray Shadow variation, stripped super fast.. takes were amazing

Hope everyone is staying safe and tight lines
Well done mate, where you being fishing?

Mattytree

Reaction score
At least it makes a change from people whinging that the Kielder release makes the river too big.
Fair enough, to be honest I don't know what your problem is but I'm done with this thread and your sniping comments directed at me ..

Sim

Reaction score
We lost 2 today at Tarset. North Tyne is rocketing up tonight, bodes well for when it drops

NEbody

Reaction score
Fair enough, to be honest I don't know what your problem is but I'm done with this thread and your sniping comments directed at me ..

I’m not sniping at you. I just get fed up with people thinking that Kielder releases are the be all and end all of fishing on the Tyne. As Sim says above, the river’s looking quite big enough without a release - and that’s before whatever is coming down the Rede hits it.
1633212370251.png

Nath

Reaction score
Thank you, Nath. I fished Hesleyside beat, actually my first time there. Couldn't find much info about the place so I must say today was a good day. I'm fishing it tomorrow as well and then I have few more days on different beats...

How did you fair today? Wild out there? I had a go a few miles above you and it was coloured and wet!!

Andrew B

Reaction score
1st day of my trip to the Tyne. Managed to land these 2 and lost 1.

Both on a Sunray Shadow variation, stripped super fast.. takes were amazing

Hope everyone is staying safe and tight lines
I know that Tyne sea trout are hardly ever caught at night but still the quantity of decent sized sea trout on the Tyne is staggering

stanislavck

Reaction score
How did you fair today? Wild out there? I had a go a few miles above you and it was coloured and wet!!
We fished from 07:00 till 12:00, no activity whatsover. fishing Chesters tomorrow and tuesday, but im concerned about the river height, what do you think?

Nath

Reaction score
We fished from 07:00 till 12:00, no activity whatsover. fishing Chesters tomorrow and tuesday, but im concerned about the river height, what do you think?
Hi,

I think tomorrow will be a push that low down in all honesty, but as long as the colour comes out there is some high water pools ok the top beat that would be worth a go for sure. We need the rain to ease off a bit now to let things settle but the showers keep coming and are very heavy.

I was hoping to be on the south Tyne tomrrow but again will need to see what happens a tonight

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score

Upper beat in high water. However, if you have the seamanship skills take the boat out in the boat pool. With one on the oars and one fishing, you can cover some great water. Also beeches fishes from the bank.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Morning all,

I get to fish 2 days on the South Tyne at the weekend and I wanted to get some recommendations on Line setups and flies please? I am fishing at Haltwhistle. I have rods and lines (waaaay too many lines and tips) from 7 to 10 weight.

I want to be able to get to the water with an idea on a setup in my head and then crack on and fish it as effectively as I can. Certainly, some pools will need a change of tip here or there.

My gut feeling is a rod in the 7 to 8 weight with a Slow sink tip on a RIO SSVT with a size 8 double on the point.
Then an 8wt rod 13ft'ish with a fast sink tip and a reddish conhead tube?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Morning all,

I get to fish 2 days on the South Tyne at the weekend and I wanted to get some recommendations on Line setups and flies please? I am fishing at Haltwhistle. I have rods and lines (waaaay too many lines and tips) from 7 to 10 weight.

I want to be able to get to the water with an idea on a setup in my head and then crack on and fish it as effectively as I can. Certainly, some pools will need a change of tip here or there.

My gut feeling is a rod in the 7 to 8 weight with a Slow sink tip on a RIO SSVT with a size 8 double on the point.
Then an 8wt rod 13ft'ish with a fast sink tip and a reddish conhead tube?
Id take a good selection with you and fish to the conditions on the day. For the weekend it could vary wildly depending how fast it drops and clears over the next few days.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Id take a good selection with you and fish to the conditions on the day. For the weekend it could vary wildly depending how fast it drops and clears over the next few days.

I've tied 7 boxes of salmon flies in a year. I've tons of the flaming things! 😁

Rrrr

Reaction score
I've tied 7 boxes of salmon flies in a year. I've tons of the flaming things!
Im the same ive got boxes of flies but only really use 3 sorts late season. Either a small calvin shrimp, something shrimpy like a cascade or allys and if they dont work ill chuck a temple dog on to try and get an agressive reaction. Thats for the coquet though but works for me.

offshore

Reaction score
I have fished Hesleyside before, when it was part of Felling's water - but not Carrieth.

Could anybody please tell me if Carrieth (above) has similar accessibility / bank maintenance ? I seemed to remember driving on the road up-river from Hesleyside and the surrounding bank looked quite steep. I am not sure if the person I would like to go with, could manage anything too tricky.

I guess the other obvious question is which is the better beat - fly water/pools. Thanks.

BellinghamSalmon

Reaction score
I have fished Hesleyside before, when it was part of Felling's water - but not Carrieth.

Could anybody please tell me if Carrieth (above) has similar accessibility / bank maintenance ? I seemed to remember driving on the road up-river from Hesleyside and the surrounding bank looked quite steep. I am not sure if the person I would like to go with, could manage anything too tricky.

I guess the other obvious question is which is the better beat - fly water/pools. Thanks.
Depends which side your fishing from? Do you mean the felling side which is right bank or left bank which Riverdale have ? Adam

offshore

Reaction score
Depends which side your fishing from? Do you mean the felling side which is right bank or left bank which Riverdale have ? Adam
Whichever stretch Riverdale have Adam - the stretch they advertise as Carrieth.

When I was in the Felling, they had Hesleyside until September, which was all right bank. Parking at the top of the beat was adjacent to some stone farm buildings, just off the road.

I am assuming Carrieth is the beat above Hesleyside , but perhaps some of it covers the opposite bank of Hesleyside and I am getting mixed up ? I didn't ever see anybody fishing on the opposite bank of Hesleyside.

Taking the road upstream of the Hesleyside farm buildings it got quite steep with a wooded bank. Looked a bit tricky from a distance as you drove along - as I remember.

Last edited:

Tyne Angler

Reaction score
Riverdales Carriteth beat is the left bank of the river below Tarset. Access is nice and easy with clear banks. Opposite side is the top of Fellings water which has poor access.