River Tyne 2020

NoviceFly

Reaction score
Bywells lost its Spring and back end catches, you only have to look at their returns for 2015-17 to justify this. Its a shame and I wouldn't put it all down to lack of fish. I did wonder if it wasn't the fish barrier it used to be. I know storms Frank and Desmond changed alot of the pools down there including Broomhaugh which used to be very prolific and now somewhat different. It is a shame mind, as its some of the most stunning fly water and Gary is a great chap.

Sim

Reaction score
Was on carriteth today. Hard going, one take which resulted in 12 lb salmon on silver Stoat dropper. Only one other caught on Riverdale beats today, spinning on redeswood. Thought we'd have more action after high water yesterday.
Hi Stuart, how are the Riverdale beats fishing ? We are meant to be up next weekend, Boris permitting. Cheers Sim

razzer

Reaction score
Bywells lost its Spring and back end catches, you only have to look at their returns for 2015-17 to justify this. Its a shame and I wouldn't put it all down to lack of fish.
Have you not seen the counts for the last 2 seasons for august and september, i think youl find for the main part it is lack of fish. The floods in 2015 will of played a big part in this, well im hoping its that.

Bywell still charging £219.00 + vat and still a lot of rods sold. Its a no brainer to me , steer clear.

Last edited:

Mattytree

Reaction score
They have also halved there rod numbers so that may have some thing to it.
Also a lot of there regular guests cancelled due to covid , I think it’s one of those waters you have to know , the gilly can’t be with every one pointing in the right places at once....

Reaction score
Hi Stuart, how are the Riverdale beats fishing ? We are meant to be up next weekend, Boris permitting. Cheers Sim
Stus phone bust as went swimming . We've had 22 salmon and 10 seatrout out this week on Riverdale beats since last Saturday and the weekend fishing hasn't started but yet ! Good week plenty about

Daventus

Reaction score
Lost a few on the south the last few days, but Sunday managed this one that was 37 inches.. so around the 20lb mark, it was such a nice fish and well built. Had a one after around 14lb also.

View attachment 51141
??? I may be under estimating one I lost would have ate that for breakfast.Having watched the video back that bloke with net took I’m inclined to say nearer the magic 30 ?

Sim

Reaction score
Stus phone bust as went swimming . We've had 22 salmon and 10 seatrout out this week on Riverdale beats since last Saturday and the weekend fishing hasn't started but yet ! Good week plenty about
Many thanks for the update, I hope Stu has dried out. That sounds promising for next weekend - but I say that every year !

Daventus

Reaction score
Was out yesterday,steady run all day seeing 5 or 6 every 25/30 minutes,managed one about 7lb,but dissapointed for the numbers seen,was also a 5lbr caught by someone else,like you say river came up but didn`t colour much.
Back up again today totally different hardly saw a fish,was thinking of going home but got talking so decided to give it one more go,
tried all different size and colours,through the day Found one that i tied myself a few years back,that got me a fish on the last day of a season,aluminium 2 inch.first run halfway through,9 lbr.
Next run through same spot fish on,Totally different,( you know when you lean into it and it doesn`t even realise).Evently it realised something was wrong and decided to chug around the pool for 5 minutes amongst all the rocks,then shot downstream into the backing,before coming back to mid stream,at which point i think its well hooked so decide to climb out and try to force it a bit,getting it to turn its head towards the bank,at which point chap thinks about getting net ready,when flyView attachment 51139View attachment 51140 decides to come out,managed a quick glimpse as it rolled on the surface before dissapearing.probably the length of a high teens but like a barrel,probably low twentys.
THE REST IN CENSORED AND THE AIR WAS BLUE.
One from today 15lb also lost one and had 2 pulls also

Attachments

• 689020DC-0903-4F34-8206-97F7241B6788.jpeg
    689020DC-0903-4F34-8206-97F7241B6788.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 49

Rennie

Reaction score
Face it, Bywells catch's dropped after the demise of the Syndicate rods- who knew the water and its moods intimately and who all had regular access to the water.Let rods, daily or weekly may not have known the water to the same extent and the learning curve would've been far steeper too.Throw in the old adage of massaged returns-probably!- when the beat was turning to let rods to ensure a full compliment of rods as much as possible.Coupled to the general downturn in Salmon runs and the effect of various storms, odd clue or two there!, + a Tweed style pricing structure too i.e. excessive! wouldn't have helped either!
Pedro.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Fished one of the best pools on the tyne tonight with friend.I have been fortunate to have had access since 1999.Tonight was pityfull in terms of how I remember it when i started .A few old resident fish showing over and over with not a sign of anything coming in the pool.There used to be fish tramping in constantly with big silver fish making a regular appearance.Not a glimpse seen tonight or recently im informed.
Really hope this years a result of recent floods because if not the tynes not looking like the river we all hoped it was destined to become.My mates worst season on the south as well with conditions to literally die for!!

Igaffz

Reaction score
This is my first season but all the talk earlier in the year was how bad last season was!

Nath

Reaction score
Fished one of the best pools on the tyne tonight with friend.I have been fortunate to have had access since 1999.Tonight was pityfull in terms of how I remember it when i started .A few old resident fish showing over and over with not a sign of anything coming in the pool.There used to be fish tramping in constantly with big silver fish making a regular appearance.Not a glimpse seen tonight or recently im informed.
Really hope this years a result of recent floods because if not the tynes not looking like the river we all hoped it was destined to become.My mates worst season on the south as well with conditions to literally die for!!

Was that you fishing the metal works side last night when I came over the bridge at Hexham? I was thinking oh I bet they do well there looking at levels!

Must say the south has been disappointing for me all season (had the odd good session) as has the Tyne in general. Especially as you say there has been good water on the south and normally that means great fishing.

I went to the coquet yesterday for a change on my day off and had 3 and lost a good few more than that....

Mattytree

Reaction score
Face it, Bywells catch's dropped after the demise of the Syndicate rods- who knew the water and its moods intimately and who all had regular access to the water.Let rods, daily or weekly may not have known the water to the same extent and the learning curve would've been far steeper too.Throw in the old adage of massaged returns-probably!- when the beat was turning to let rods to ensure a full compliment of rods as much as possible.Coupled to the general downturn in Salmon runs and the effect of various storms, odd clue or two there!, + a Tweed style pricing structure too i.e. excessive! wouldn't have helped either!
Pedro.
Did have a day in June when the covid thing meant they had loads of rods on fish pal coming up.. only rod that caught out of 6 was an old syndicate rod and he had two!

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Pedro.

Catches have dropped off nearly everywhere from a peak in 2006-2012 Rennie. (Take a look at the Chesters figures in T&S). Personally, I’m not sure the syndicate would be catching huge numbers of extra fish at the moment. Some folk would, lots wouldn’t.

The syndicate did make the record catch on Bywell but there were some very good catches under the ‘new‘ arrangement too with over 600 in 2011.

Fish Pass, Broomhaugh & Pipeline used to be the top performing pools by a long way. Changes to these areas in conjunction with a relative general lack of fish might go a long way to explaining the lower catches.

PWH2016

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm up at Lambley this weekend - any tips very welcome.

Haven't fished it before so any recommendations for ideal rod length would be great.

River level looks low on the EA website at the moment but perhaps some rain in the next few days - what is a good height range?

Thanks in advance

Rutlander

Reaction score
Morning all,

Haven't fished it before so any recommendations for ideal rod length would be great.

River level looks low on the EA website at the moment but perhaps some rain in the next few days - what is a good height range?

Thanks in advance
I'm very much a novice at this game but fished Lambley for three days with a friend (similar experience) in late September.

Both used 14' rods although we discussed it this morning and agreed that a 13' would be ideal too. Didn't get a sniff for the first two days although saw fish moving and the river was between 12" and 18" above summer level all the while we were there. On day three (it was slowly falling and considered perfect) Pete caught one around 8lb and I lost three!!! One of which I'd played for a good few minutes until it shed the hook. I put it down to inexperience and operator error. All the fish we hooked (this is a month ago mind) came to small flies - size 12 shrimps and cascades.

HARDYBOY

Reaction score
Morning all,

Thanks in advance

I Fished there Mon & Tues last week, a few fish showing each day, shook hands with 3 on the Monday, couldn't get any to stick.
River up a 1 foot or so on Tues.

I messaged a local guide prior to going & he advised:

'Small red dressed fly on 10/12 fished on a short intermediate tip, keep them moving as well Calvin's/ Stokoe shrimp/ flame thrower/ small dressed Francis'.

Good Luck

ashley

Reaction score
Morning all,

Thanks in advance
Best of luck, but river might be low. Don't neglect the small patch of water twenty yards above the road bridge, and right under it.

lax0341

Reaction score
If the water is still on the low side, try a small ( 10 or 12 ) willie gun in the evening and the fly which HARDBOY described during the day.
Also a small Flying C could do the trick.

Mattytree

Reaction score
It’s high on the north, had an interesting one this afternoon when the fish took a load of line then stopped charged at me and rolled on the line and got the dropper stuck on its ring piece and became like a hooked bit of wood I had to chase down messing up the whole swim ! After already landing two it was looking a promising session... then my running line broke after hooking a rock and had to wade out to retrieve it, ruining it that little bit more .. suppose it was better to happen now than on playing a fish and have it stuck with a full Rio Scandi line trailing about stuck to it!, it’s been getting some stick on some decent fish in the last few weeks so must of taken its toll.

Philor

Reaction score
Catches have dropped off nearly everywhere from a peak in 2006-2012 Rennie. (Take a look at the Chesters figures in T&S). Personally, I’m not sure the syndicate would be catching huge numbers of extra fish at the moment. Some folk would, lots wouldn’t.

The syndicate did make the record catch on Bywell but there were some very good catches under the ‘new‘ arrangement too with over 600 in 2011.

Fish Pass, Broomhaugh & Pipeline used to be the top performing pools by a long way. Changes to these areas in conjunction with a relative general lack of fish might go a long way to explaining the lower catches.

Re this year at least, Chesters is an outlier along with Bywell and Tyne Waters Meet. This year at least the catches are mostly similar to 5 yr average, with these odd outliers. I realise this doesn't reflect the period you're talking about GK.
SalmonSea troutRatio 2020/5 yr
To date 23/10/201205yr average
2020​
5yr average
2020​
SalmonSea trout
Fishery
Bywell
230.6​
97​
25.4​
22​
42%​
87%​
Styford
97.4​
100​
14.4​
14​
103%​
97%​
Dilston
88.6​
102​
55.2​
49​
115%​
89%​
Tyne Meet
32​
4​
??
13%​
Warden
207​
176.8​
103.6​
126​
85%​
122%​
Chollerton
26.4​
33​
30.6​
18​
125%​
59%​
Haughton Castle
61.2​
77​
68.8​
96​
126%​
140%​
Chipchase Ca
108.2​
111​
66.2​
115​
103%​
174%​
Chesters
126.2​
21​
37.2​
23​
17%​
62%​
Total
977.6​
721.8​
401.4​
463​
74%​
115%​

Sim

Reaction score
The level of the North Tyne has dropped unexpectedly - is there a problem at Kielder ?

Mattytree

Reaction score
As I said before , if Bywell have halved there rod numbers then surely that will be showing also all the other beats with high numbers of catches that where favourites are probably booked full of folk who can’t fish but have money and are desperate so will book beats on high catch numbers ...Every other beat is above or around there average, we are over ours and I’m on for my best season ever with 56 fish in the net ,should of been quite a few more so not complaining.