River Tyne 2020

Chasing Salar

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anythingcoming from the South? This time last year there were plenty of salmon coming out up at Lambley...i wonder if theyre waiting for the water or have they just gone up the north?
Had one from Lambley in August but not many fish seen running.
Fished yesterday at Haltwhistle only saw 3 fish all day.
Counter figures for end of August not too bad at 2606 from midday on 11th August until end of the Month.
Think next flood and cooler weather will get fish running hope some more come up the South.

Sperlash

Reaction score
Catches look terrible at present on fish tyne .Wouldnt like to think I was paying £250 a day to fish bywell at present..Waters been spot on down there considering its their prime month not good!!Honestly think if nets arent scrapped with immediate effect were looking down the barrels of a collapse both for the Tyne and Wear..Sorry to be negative but from what im experiencing on both my local rivers I think its really worrying...

William

Reaction score
I fished Lambley a few weekends ago. First time, so didn't really know what I was doing. Still, saw a fish opposite the hut. Nothing else. Spoke to a few anglers who had blanked.

NEbody

Reaction score
My understanding is that the drift nets have not operated this year and the beach nets season finished early June.
You’re sort of correct. The drift nets have been stopped completely. The local beach nets can operate from late March to the end of May (the season ends later in Yorkshire) but have to return all salmon they catch. However, this year, the Covid restrictions meant that very legal netting, if any, took place even when it was allowed. There have been press reports of illegal nets having been found and dealt with in various places but I doubt this was on the scale of previous legal netting. Remember that the netsmen, both legal and illegal, are doing it to make a profit, they have to cover their costs and there’s no legal market for the fish they’re trying to sell. All that means that there was very little netting this year.

BMiller

Reaction score
That is what I thought so the blame for any shortage of salmon does not lie with netsmen.

Mattytree

Reaction score
No nets would explain the mega run of sea trout this year... to be fair I think the fishing has been good but the constant release has messed the fishing up , if they don’t have keilder ferry any more I see no reason to keep the extra water in the dam in summer , shame they can’t mimicking spates in nature’s weather and measure what’s coming in and put it back out whilst keeping it at safe levels to prevent flooding ...if that’s what this constant release has been for.

Sim

Reaction score
No nets would explain the mega run of sea trout this year... to be fair I think the fishing has been good but the constant release has messed the fishing up , if they don’t have keilder ferry any more I see no reason to keep the extra water in the dam in summer , shame they can’t mimicking spates in nature’s weather and measure what’s coming in and put it back out whilst keeping it at safe levels to prevent flooding ...if that’s what this constant release has been for.
[/QUO

Sim

Reaction score
I’m fishing around Bellingham at the weekend and a 9 release is due. How do the fish respond to a ‘medium’ release and what’s the best way to tackle it ? Thanks

Mattytree

Reaction score
Floating line or intermediate... autumn flees like tubes , shrimps and some luck!
what I found interesting today was on the river when the drop from 16 to11 cumecs occurred,the fished slowed down a little for half an hour and I had a take in one pool followed by a fish in the net around the corner.... then they soon settled and got there heads down and carried on coming past not interested in a thing.

Sim

Reaction score
Floating line or intermediate... autumn flees like tubes , shrimps and some luck!
what I found interesting today was on the river when the drop from 16 to11 cumecs occurred,the fished slowed down a little for half an hour and I had a take in one pool followed by a fish in the net around the corner.... then they soon settled and got there heads down and carried on coming past not interested in a thing.
Thanks. So the fish are running through ? Where were you fishing ?

Mattytree

Reaction score
Below Bellngham and the rede.. I’ve heard redesmouth is stuffed and they have had some nice fish this weekend including a 24lber, logical guess is they have ran up the Tyne and stopped where the rivers and burns have no spate... seriously though who knows they could be lying under the bank or in the bottoms of pools waiting for a spate but I think they run on any thing over a 9 release quite fast and why a lot of water appears empty.. where I was fishing unless it’s dropping off they tend to run through If there’s water , they slow down on a 9 so I’m hoping it will give them a chance they will build up and we will get some rain for the weekend.
I would go with a Irish shrimps and intermediate on a nine , probably start on a floating line or fish the floating line in slow water and intermediate in fast .. tubes on the floating line ... who knows and I don’t know the water your fishing unless it’s felling , if your on riverdale beats the gillies will see you right.

Sim

Reaction score
Below Bellngham and the rede.. I’ve heard redesmouth is stuffed and they have had some nice fish this weekend including a 24lber, logical guess is they have ran up the Tyne and stopped where the rivers and burns have no spate... seriously though who knows they could be lying under the bank or in the bottoms of pools waiting for a spate but I think they run on any thing over a 9 release quite fast and why a lot of water appears empty.. where I was fishing unless it’s dropping off they tend to run through If there’s water , they slow down on a 9 so I’m hoping it will give them a chance they will build up and we will get some rain for the weekend.
I would go with a Irish shrimps and intermediate on a nine , probably start on a floating line or fish the floating line in slow water and intermediate in fast .. tubes on the floating line ... who knows and I don’t know the water your fishing unless it’s felling , if your on riverdale beats the gillies will see you right.
Many thanks, that sounds encouraging. Hopefully we will connect with some - assuming Boris doesn’t stop us coming !

Nath

Reaction score
Fished the north today, above Tarset and lost 2 , fairly sure they where sea trout.

Never seen a salmon. After this I called in to bridge pool at Hexham for a look while I had my lunch... stood for half an hour never seen a single fish.. Don’t think that has ever happened to me before in all the years I have been watching fish there in September!!

Sperlash

Reaction score
Fished the north today, above Tarset and lost 2 , fairly sure they where sea trout.

Never seen a salmon. After this I called in to bridge pool at Hexham for a look while I had my lunch... stood for half an hour never seen a single fish.. Don’t think that has ever happened to me before in all the years I have been watching fish there in September!!
I fish the hexam pool occasionally its that quiet its hardly getting fished at present as theres nothing been seen or holding up as in previous years.Not holding my breath as these last tides were large and certainly havent resulted in any numbers of fish at all.In years gone by you would see 6 fish at a time rolling around irrespective of water conditions ,this year they are simply not there in my humble opinion.

Nath

Reaction score
I fish the hexam pool occasionally its that quiet its hardly getting fished at present as theres nothing been seen or holding up as in previous years.Not holding my breath as these last tides were large and certainly havent resulted in any numbers of fish at all.In years gone by you would see 6 fish at a time rolling around irrespective of water conditions ,this year they are simply not there in my humble opinion.
Yes I have to be honest and not one to be doom and gloom, BUT I feel the same. Just a poor year I think. I mean look at Bywell ,they can barely muster up a fish a week... pretty desperate that. Nice bit of rain today so it might move a few around but you don’t get the feeling it will pull a shed load in from the sea...

Jerry

Reaction score
Just back from 3 days on Redeswood and Houxty. Started at first light and saw a fair number of salmon show in the first half hour on both beats. Plenty of sea trout about too. It was hard going. Foul hooked a 5lb grilse in Redeswood after a couple of plucks at the fly and I think it then turned and got it on the back. Absolute pig to get it in but managed. Close but no cigar! Fly was a s12 Curry’s Shrimp, slow sink tip. Then lost one about 12lbs on a s10 Toucan on an intermediate at Houxty. This was the only action for me. They’re in there but not looking at much. Floating or Intermediate lines and s12/14 Claret or Red Irish Shrimps seems to be a good starting point. Red Devil coneheads are taking a few too if you’ve any! Tight lines if you do go.

NoviceFly

Reaction score
Just back from 3 days on Redeswood and Houxty. Started at first light and saw a fair number of salmon show in the first half hour on both beats. Plenty of sea trout about too. It was hard going. Foul hooked a 5lb grilse in Redeswood after a couple of plucks at the fly and I think it then turned and got it on the back. Absolute pig to get it in but managed. Close but no cigar! Fly was a s12 Curry’s Shrimp, slow sink tip. Then lost one about 12lbs on a s10 Toucan on an intermediate at Houxty. This was the only action for me. They’re in there but not looking at much. Floating or Intermediate lines and s12/14 Claret or Red Irish Shrimps seems to be a good starting point. Red Devil coneheads are taking a few too if you’ve any! Tight lines if you do go.

Nice one jerry, Where did you lose the fish at Houxty? I am on both beats again in a few weeks.

Mattytree

Reaction score
They seemed a bit more active yesterday after first rain in weeks ... not really enough though to bring them on...lost a fish on a Francis type fly Scouting the bottom after a quick cast after work.. my guess is that was possibly foul hooked as it went ballistic.

Jerry

Reaction score
It was on the slowish run opposite the gate you come in, normally where you park up. Towards the end of the run down there are some rocks just over a third of the way across by an overhanging bush. Fish was right in amongst them. Fish splashing by most of the rocks along that bit. As mentioned, think the rain stirred them but not that much. Good luck.

NoviceFly

Reaction score
It was on the slowish run opposite the gate you come in, normally where you park up. Towards the end of the run down there are some rocks just over a third of the way across by an overhanging bush. Fish was right in amongst them. Fish splashing by most of the rocks along that bit. As mentioned, think the rain stirred them but not that much. Good luck.

I know it well Jerry. Thats a lovely bit of water from the stile down. The wading is nearly impossible though. Its like walking over a load of concrete posts! I like the croy pool and the pool below it. Always feel houxty will hold a big fish or two.

razzer

Reaction score
I used to fish houxty years ago when felling had it, it used to hold good amounts of fish but was awful to fish. All over grown and tree lined, only below the island was ok for the fly you used to just have to get in between the trees and chuck a bit of metal about for tge rest of it. Has it been made more accessible since the hotel got the fishing rights ?