River Tyne 2020

NoviceFly

Reaction score
I am on Redeswood next week, then have a day on the south and a day on the main, 3 rivers in 3 days, I will get one from each I assume?! 🤪🤪🤪

Well we fished the 3 rivers, 3 days...

Redeswood Saturday, Had a fantastic day with a 12lb hen fish for myself, and fish of 6, 7 and 16lbs to Phil who was fishing with me, 6 fish off the beat for the day. Stunning fly water at that height. Fish caught on mixture of Red devils, claret irish, mairi shrimp variants. We would not have caught these fish without the help and guidance of Adam Turner (Riverdale Ghillie), please do use his expertise when fishing their water.

Sunday, South tyne in the morning, but the small alston rise didnt get down to where we were, that said it felt very fishy, saw a couple. In the PM we moved onto Dilston, but the gale force winds and sunshine made it very diffcult, strangely we saw tonnes of fresh fish in the pools, coming on to show themselves for 5-10 minutes then switching off and nothing. We persevered and as the afternoon dragged on we headed upto the top of the beat to fish Erics Run, I managed a 14lb Hen from the hotspot in the pool, which gave a great account of itself. Also on a red devil conehead. Fish was caught just after the sun had gone down.

All in all an absolutely class weekend, confidence restored in myself!

Attachments

ashley

Reaction score
Well we fished the 3 rivers, 3 days...

Redeswood Saturday, Had a fantastic day with a 12lb hen fish for myself, and fish of 6, 7 and 16lbs to Phil who was fishing with me, 6 fish off the beat for the day. Stunning fly water at that height. Fish caught on mixture of Red devils, claret irish, mairi shrimp variants. We would not have caught these fish without the help and guidance of Adam Turner (Riverdale Ghillie), please do use his expertise when fishing their water.

Sunday, South tyne in the morning, but the small alston rise didnt get down to where we were, that said it felt very fishy, saw a couple. In the PM we moved onto Dilston, but the gale force winds and sunshine made it very diffcult, strangely we saw tonnes of fresh fish in the pools, coming on to show themselves for 5-10 minutes then switching off and nothing. We persevered and as the afternoon dragged on we headed upto the top of the beat to fish Erics Run, I managed a 14lb Hen from the hotspot in the pool, which gave a great account of itself. Also on a red devil conehead. Fish was caught just after the sun had gone down.

All in all an absolutely class weekend, confidence restored in myself!
really well done......superb!

budge

Reaction score
Sounds like a great couple of days, well done.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

richd

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Glad to see the Tyne is fish well.

3 of us are planning to head up to the tyne in a fortnight for a couple of days. Thinking of doing a day at Bellingham but was wondering if anybody could recommend somewhere else (reasonably priced) where we might get 3 rods for a day with a bit of fly water. Were used to association water so don't mind that.

Thanks

Richd

long Preston

Reaction score
its been a funny old season right enough- lots of seatrout-more than for a good few years and keen to take. Salmon have been patchy but I have seen a good few in the last couple of weeks-a real mix of fresh and stale fish but they are mostly intent on running - for me the constant high water is the main issue-I have said it before-the fish trickle through rather than build up and come in a decent run-means you need to be in the right place at the right time

ashley

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anythingcoming from the South? This time last year there were plenty of salmon coming out up at Lambley...i wonder if theyre waiting for the water or have they just gone up the north?

Reaction score
its been a funny old season right enough- lots of seatrout-more than for a good few years and keen to take. Salmon have been patchy but I have seen a good few in the last couple of weeks-a real mix of fresh and stale fish but they are mostly intent on running - for me the constant high water is the main issue-I have said it before-the fish trickle through rather than build up and come in a decent run-means you need to be in the right place at the right time
Totally agree with you!!

Mattytree

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anythingcoming from the South? This time last year there were plenty of salmon coming out up at Lambley...i wonder if theyre waiting for the water or have they just gone up the north?
I don’t agree with the post a while back saying they have all gone up the north Tyne , I think long Preston hit the nail on the head In saying it’s been about the right place at the right time as they are coming through in drive and drabs and finding a taking fish is near impossible, it’s a shame the counter has not been working this season although the high number of sea trout would of given a false reading for salmon in June /July I honestly don’t think we have had large numbers of salmon at all, what’s more concerning to me is I don’t think I’ve hooked any par this season which in my first few seasons on my small size 14 droppers was a regular occurrence.

razzer

Reaction score
Mattytree i never said they had all gone up the north tyne id said the bulk seam to have, how often do you fish the south tyne ? I do quite a lot, from bardon mill down to fourstones and warden pretty regularly. You look at wardens fishing, most the catches on there are coming from there north tyne beats, the south tynes had plenty fresh water to keep them running but the upper stretches of the south tyne apart from the odd good days here and there have struggled for salmon. I know plenty of anglers along the south tyne who feel the same. But we are all entitled to our opinion 😉

Mattytree

Reaction score
Mattytree i never said they had all gone up the north tyne id said the bulk seam to have, how often do you fish the south tyne ? I do quite a lot, from bardon mill down to fourstones and warden pretty regularly. You look at wardens fishing, most the catches on there are coming from there north tyne beats, the south tynes had plenty fresh water to keep them running but the upper stretches of the south tyne apart from the odd good days here and there have struggled for salmon. I know plenty of anglers along the south tyne who feel the same. But we are all entitled to our opinion 😉
I think the fish are just lacking in general bud, good friend of mine who has retired and fishes most morning below Wark has only had 5 fish all season.. it’s been hard Going all over !

Sperlash

Reaction score
I think the fish are just lacking in general bud, good friend of mine who has retired and fishes most morning below Wark has only had 5 fish all season.. it’s been hard Going all over !
Theres a shortage of salmon full stop...The so called tyne premium beats are trying to bull up the river and make it sound a lot better than it really is,Another thing a lot of people dont realise either is that wardenfishings are made up of a number of clubs /syndicates sharing the fishing.On a recent visit i know of 10 hexam anglers rods fishing over the period of the day I observed at least the same fishing split beats on TWF warden/thistlerig (Me included) and 4 pay rods for the grand total of 2 salmon .Work out the daily average from 24 rod days fished not exactly stunning catch results in my opinion and a reflection of the fish numbers.

razzer

Reaction score
I was expecting more from the tyne this year, with my local river the eden having had its best year for a good 10 years id of thought, the other solway rivers have fished better as well. My next outing over on the tyne this year will be 1 of our north tyne beats, some of you lads have done ok over there compared to the south tyne rods. Funny how the fish counter is out of sorts when fish stocks seem to be down, like the x files the truth is out there they just dont want us to know 😂

Mattytree

Reaction score
To be fair when the conditions have been right, it has fished ok... last two weeks I don’t think its been great , I have fished most evenings and sun and sat mornings for one fish and one lost at the net and in that time and a few decent pulls so I’m not writing it all off yet! I would really like to fish some of the south Tyne this season but there really is no point as I know my water well enough to get a fish if it’s the right conditions .... well most of the time ! I’d be hopeless on another beat!

Nath

Reaction score
My view is that there is a lot less salmon round than the last few years. I fish north and south and I think this is apparent in both. I normally do well June and July and south and it was honestly pretty much dead.. fish a lot in good water for a few sea trout. It’s is only in the last 2 weeks that fish seem to have arrived in half decent numbers in the south where I fish.

It’s not going to go down as a good year on the whole system from what I see and hear from others.

I fished north yesterday. Above Tarset. Saw one fish in Nearly 4 hours... but we keeping going..

Got this one of the south last week which please me 😀

Attachments

offshore

Reaction score
Theres a shortage of salmon full stop...The so called tyne premium beats are trying to bull up the river and make it sound a lot better than it really is,Another thing a lot of people dont realise either is that wardenfishings are made up of a number of clubs /syndicates sharing the fishing.On a recent visit i know of 10 hexam anglers rods fishing over the period of the day I observed at least the same fishing split beats on TWF warden/thistlerig (Me included) and 4 pay rods for the grand total of 2 salmon .Work out the daily average from 24 rod days fished not exactly stunning catch results in my opinion and a reflection of the fish numbers.
I have never been clear if the Fishpal catch figures for Warden include only those caught by the Fishpal rods, or the total number of fish caught by all the club members too? Warden often seems to have the highest daily catches for the whole (reported) system.

razzer

Reaction score
I have never been clear if the Fishpal catch figures for Warden include only those caught by the Fishpal rods, or the total number of fish caught by all the club members too? Warden often seems to have the highest daily catches for the whole (reported) system.
No not just fishpal rods we have to report catches daily as well

Nath

Reaction score
Bywell are having another shocker really, September is arguable meant to be there best month...they have had 5 so far...

Sperlash

Reaction score
Our clubs (hexam anglers) and syndicates (TWF)must report catches daily on all waters associated with warden so all catches from all rods are included.Im sure a lot of people believe their daily catches and annual return is made up of the 4 rod daily rod allocation.I can assure them its not and is a grand total of everybody's efforts.
When conditions are good there could easily be 30 plus rods having a go over a dawn to dusk period taking every club into account. (north and south tynes both inclusive)What I found /find is that the local rods only fish for a few hours generally and the holiday/day rods dont come up for air.I must be honest when i travel to fish and pay for a session I like my moneys worth so cant blame the lads for trying,

Last edited:

offshore

Reaction score
Our clubs (hexam anglers) and syndicates (TWF)must report catches daily on all waters associated with warden so all catches from all rods are included.Im sure a lot of people believe their daily catches and annual return is made up of the 4 rod daily rod allocation.I can assure them its not and is a grand total of everybody's efforts.
When conditions are good there could easily be 30 plus rods having a go over a dawn to dusk period taking every club into account. (north and south tynes both inclusive)What I found /find is that the local rods only fish for a few hours generally and the holiday/day rods dont come up for air.I must be honest when i travel to fish and pay for a session I like my moneys worth so cant blame the lads for trying,
Thanks for that information. It certainly puts the catch figures in perspective. I have only been a few times, but its been exactly like you describe - me fishing hard and the club members just for a few hours (but fortunately without any antagonism on those days).

I have also wondered about the Dilston figures, as that includes both club members and day rods - but Dilston rarely tops the daily figures (as Warden often does).

The Dilston salmon figures seem surprisingly low this year, compared to the fish that must have run through it. I have thought for a few years, I should go back to a single hander and target Tyne sea trout instead of salmon - but the obvious snookered that idea for this season.

Mattytree

Reaction score
My view is that there is a lot less salmon round than the last few years. I fish north and south and I think this is apparent in both. I normally do well June and July and south and it was honestly pretty much dead.. fish a lot in good water for a few sea trout. It’s is only in the last 2 weeks that fish seem to have arrived in half decent numbers in the south where I fish.

It’s not going to go down as a good year on the whole system from what I see and hear from others.

I fished north yesterday. Above Tarset. Saw one fish in Nearly 4 hours... but we keeping going..

Got this one of the south last week which please me 😀
That’s a belter that mate !