River Tyne 2020

Laird

Reaction score
Advice required on the release of 16.8 on friday 24th, is this too big for the fly ?

I've fished on a 9 and 11, that seemed to be a decent height, 16.8 looks to be a big water ?

Thanks
Most water will be still be fishable with fly but extreme care needed for wading as it's powerful water. I'm lucky being 6 ft 3 !. I still use floating line but will probably put a 5 ft fast sink tip on to slow fly down and tube fly to get it down a bit. Red devil and brown pot bellied pigs my flies of choice in these conditions.

Reaction score
Apologies, forgot to say i'm fishing the North Tyne, 16.8 is a decent release, looks like an order for some fast sinking tips will be going in !

Still ok for the fly, i know its already a rough wade !

Mattytree

Reaction score
Would say the current height is about a 13 equivalent With the rain we had last night, so with an 11 on top it will be pretty large in the morning.

doubletaper

Reaction score
A friend of mine had three fish on a size 8 Orange Allys on a 20 release! We was told it was way to big for the fly so I spun all day ( and caught F*** a** as usual ) while my mate had a hat trick.....I remember he used an old intermediate green Hardy line but it just goes to show Rules are there to be broken :rolleyes:...We fished above Bellingham by the way.

nickolas

Reaction score
Once they have gone they wont come back on there own without help, as i have said before there are 10 rivers in the uk that I have fished, no fish now and I’m not that old. Eventually to see a salmon in our rivers it may have to come from a farm as in the case of rainbows.

Nath

Reaction score
Nowt wrong with , nicer too with natural water.
Landed three ST this morning On the fly averaging around 5 this one was 6Lb
Lost a bigger one ... never mind
Nice fish mate! Hope to be out tomorrow above Bellingham, will report back

Mattytree

Reaction score
Nice fish mate! Hope to be out tomorrow above Bellingham, will report back
Good luck nath , colours dropping out now below the rede.
size 14 crathie and Weighted ness c tubes did the damage.
Jodie came down with some bait So I could carried on and ended up with 5 st n the net , well the last one unhooked itself after I didn’t click the white button in on the mccleans and it rolled over and tipped it self out with the hook stuck in the net ?
would still be fishing great tonight but I honestly have not seen a salmon all day and beers and roast are calling.

tynelobster

Reaction score
I have a rod for Chesters Lower beat I can't use this Tuesday if anyone is interested in making and offer for it? Kielder release on so def some water.

Nath

Reaction score
Good luck nath , colours dropping out now below the rede.
size 14 crathie and Weighted ness c tubes did the damage.
Jodie came down with some bait So I could carried on and ended up with 5 st n the net , well the last one unhooked itself after I didn’t click the white button in on the mccleans and it rolled over and tipped it self out with the hook stuck in the net ?
would still be fishing great tonight but I honestly have not seen a salmon all day and beers and roast are calling.

Cheers, 5 in the net is some going well done!

Fingers crossed they are still In the taking mood, did many take the Crathie? I use a similar fly on the dropper too!

Mattytree

Reaction score
Cheers, 5 in the net is some going well done!

Fingers crossed they are still In the taking mood, did many take the Crathie? I use a similar fly on the dropper too!
Two on the crathie mate. Couple of on and then off fish I would presume took the crathie as well, was using size 10 ahrex trebles on the point , I’ve yet to loose a hooked fish on them..really nice hook that fits down a tube so no rubber needed should of used them and been vigilant on sharpness last year I’m pretty convinced it’s help my hook up rate.

Laird

Reaction score
Good day yesterday on redeswood. Finally landed 2 sea trout after losing 7 at and a salmon. 3 and 4 lb. Lost another in the afternoon. Size 10 claret Irish and 14,silver Stoat. Didn't see many salmon but plenty of mint st around. Adam had 2 and lost a few as well. See what today brings.

Nath

Reaction score
Fished yesterday morning (2hrs) above Bellingham, nothing other than a new few trout. Then went out last night, fished 4 hours at our lower north Tyne beat, never seen a fish.. just got to keep at it

long Preston

Reaction score
fished 4 hours yetserday until dark-three oother rods out -not a sniff and very very few showing-too much water now and on thursady we get a tsunami doen the N tyne

Laird

Reaction score
Had 4 lb s trout on carriteth on Monday which took claret Irish when reeling in to finish day. Yesterday, got lovely 6 lb s trout and 10 lb salmon, both on claret Irish. Had 3 pulls today on carriteth but blanked. Few showing both days but sure they are there. Early start on redeswood tomorrow before the water rises,

Igaffz

Reaction score
Lost a couple of sea trout and good salmon today on the north tyne, managed to land a nice sea trout, a couple of little brownies and a small chub!
Couldn’t do anything with the salmon, I’ve never had one shake it’s head so hard and run so much it definitely would of been my biggest to date, had it under the rod tip a few times but couldn’t get it up to see it! ? I’m off for a little cry now ?

Nath

Reaction score
Lost a couple of sea trout and good salmon today on the north tyne, managed to land a nice sea trout, a couple of little brownies and a small chub!
Couldn’t do anything with the salmon, I’ve never had one shake it’s head so hard and run so much it definitely would of been my biggest to date, had it under the rod tip a few times but couldn’t get it up to see it! ? I’m off for a little cry now ?

What beat where you are on out of interest mate ?

Mattytree

Reaction score
Nice water at the moment , bit of colour and plenty of it, could not get any to stick tonight unfortunately though.

Laird

Reaction score
Had a 3lb st yesterday on size 14 silver Stoat dropper at redeswood before water came up. Then lost 4 salmon, one , a double, after being on for over 5 mins. All on red devil conehead, after water came up. I am the Patrick Bamford of fishing just now, need 10 çhances to get one. Lots of salmon coming through on the high water which is great to see

Nath

Reaction score
Tried the south this morning and ended up with PB sea trout, 29 inches. Between 9-10lb I would say. Was buzzing, cascade tube.

Don’t often put photos up, but had too of this one

Attachments

• A32D6B47-CB9D-4F73-8B8D-7BDE254407B2.jpeg
    A32D6B47-CB9D-4F73-8B8D-7BDE254407B2.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 89

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Tried the south this morning and ended up with PB sea trout, 29 inches. Between 9-10lb I would say. Was buzzing, cascade tube.

Don’t often put photos up, but had too of this one

That’s a cracking fish and one to be proud of.

I’m working on a new theory, I think the Sea Trout have eaten all the Salmon. :ROFLMAO:

There’s a great number of ST up both stems of the river and they’re taking too. I’d love a Salmon but really can’t complain when the ST are on like they have been.

Ive hooked 2 Salmon in 8 days fishing the Tyne this season and lost both, one end of June after about 5 mins and 2 runs into backing and the last one on Tuesday night after 10mins of dour fight the hook just came out.....

Over the last 4 days of fishing since end of June, I’ve landed 10 ST to 6.5lbs and lost a few more, with loads of additional touches & follows.