River Tyne 2020

milemarker

Reaction score
Has the Kielder release done any good yet or has it just stirred all the weed and general debris up please?

I guess tomorrow and up to Saturday lunchtime will be the teller...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mattytree

Reaction score
It’s doing some good In getting fish moving have seen a few pods come through today on the north Tyne , first fish I’ve seen in any numbers on the north Tyne this year really.
Think any one fishing certainly had a better chance than they did.
Fished redes mouth yesterday for an hour or two as the water was rising and it stirred up any fish already at the meet with some quite big freshish fish showing them selves and pods of ST making a move for it out of the big holes and out from the banks, is an amazing peaceful beat after some of the ones I’ve been fishing lately ... travelled back down stream after a couple of hours to Wark and fished late but didn’t see a thing until this morning, heard a sea trout had come off redesmouth that looked a nice fish.
The fish have been there though but not in any numbers , last big Previous release at the start of June , two where caught on our beat and I’ve been watching one or two in the bigger pools coasting around But never showing themselves which is a rarity as the waters usually black and you can’t see more than a ft in to it.

Last edited:

leckytech

Reaction score
The Tyne was like a steaming bath at 5am lol. Loads of big fish running through the pool, sadly none stopped for a gander at my fly. I’m guessing the North Tyne will be heaving with fish

long Preston

Reaction score
well went out for my 4th evening/night session last night-river lifting with seatrout-some clonkers among them. hooked one in the first 5 minutes-on and off then 2 of us flogged until 1am-not another touch.the fishe were running hard as they have been all week-even before the release-never sawa salmon though. the water is very warm which might explain why so few fish are being caught

Nath

Reaction score
Good to hear of fish running, there certainly does not seem to be many getting caught. Warden, Chester, etc not reporting fish. Are People generally thinking it is slow on the lower north and south so far this year?

Mattytree

Reaction score
about summed up my week fishing too!
Fish running but not taking unless in running lies and hard to seemingly impossible to make stick, tempted too go out on the morning For one last session before getting stuck in at work but having done 4 days straight I don’t think mentally I can take another silver tourist taking the piss.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
well went out for my 4th evening/night session last night-river lifting with seatrout-some clonkers among them. hooked one in the first 5 minutes-on and off then 2 of us flogged until 1am-not another touch.the fishe were running hard as they have been all week-even before the release-never sawa salmon though. the water is very warm which might explain why so few fish are being caught
I had 2 night sessions on Tue & Wed last week and, like you, I saw lots of running fish but I couldn’t buy a take. At one point they were bow-waving away from a #14 butcher on 12lb flouro. In fairness I’m pretty rusty at the ST but I would have expected at least some interest from them.

The topmost pool I fish was pretty empty of showing fish when I arrived on the first morning but jumping with ST on the Weds, another sign they’re moving.

I did hook a lovely fish in the daylight around mid morning on Tuesday. It was a solid take which then took me Into the backing twice before it shredded the leader trying to get up river through some narrow rapids. Had to be a Salmon IMLE, and that was the only hook up I had that wasn’t definitely a Brownie or a Chub.

Nath

Reaction score
Good water in north and south! This could be a good week to be a Tyne angler

Rrrr

Reaction score
Theres some chunky seatrout being caught at the moment, they must have been feeding well.
Had a follow from one that was a mid double on the coquet on sunday but was having non of it. There was 2 or 3 well over 10lb in 1 small section of the pool but would either follow or bolt out of the way. Ended up loosing 3 in a row then the pool was spooked.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mattytree

Reaction score
Healthy fish! Did you get any hassle from the other bank?
I wasn’t with Adam this morning joe , but from what I can gather countess park Is not open haven’t seen any one on nunwick either.
Pretty sure the lad who got to fish the pool before me had a fish Or two as well ,luckily the wind had picked up and was behind me so I could get a long line out and fish the bits right at the back he hadn’t, It was literally my last cast.

Mattytree

Reaction score
fished yesterday for around 6 hours- saw very few fish however managed to stop 2 cracking seatrout at 4.5lb and 5.5lb and a size 12 silver stoat-my first of the season so smiling today!
Sure was a relief for me too not to finish on a blank June after putting a lot of hours in, should of really started keeping a record of water temps to get an idea of optimal fishing on the Tyne.

long Preston

Reaction score
Sure was a relief for me too not to finish on a blank June after putting a lot of hours in, should of really started keeping a record of water temps to get an idea of optimal fishing on the Tyne.
thinking back-and I agree we should use the thermometer more often- the seatrout that were showing on main tyne looked like they were distressed-flinging out sideways and backwards-it was probably way too warm

Mattytree

Reaction score
Just little old me on Nunwick this week. I have had a couple of sea trout, but no salmon as yet. Shame the water dropped back so quickly OMO
Have seen a lot of fish showing off dagma lodge pool over the last few weeks, would love to fish that pool! Hopefully you get some rain for you tomorrow and a few more salmon Will be about.
had another sea trout tonight a bit smaller than the last but on a runner that has a very small window to swing a fly so they always take almost on the dangle , I would not like to think how many I’ve had fall off fishing it but finally got one to stick tonight so happy with that.

Reaction score
Have seen a lot of fish showing off dagma lodge pool over the last few weeks, would love to fish that pool! Hopefully you get some rain for you tomorrow and a few more salmon Will be about.
had another sea trout tonight a bit smaller than the last but on a runner that has a very small window to swing a fly so they always take almost on the dangle , I would not like to think how many I’ve had fall off fishing it but finally got one to stick tonight so happy with that.
It is a great pool. I'm fishing it now. Several good swirls to a black and red collie but nothing taking hold