River Tyne 2020

Rennie

Reaction score
Lechytech, if your more confident with Maxima than owt else there's nowt wrong wi that at all.Hedge your bets and use Maxima Ultrageen!, seems sensible.
I myself am primarily a Seaguar fan, for its clarity and its sink rate.I happily use from 11lb (in the lowest of water to the tiniest flee on my 6 weight switch) up to 23lb for tubes on sunk lines from my bigger stronger rods.
As ever with new things to any individual, there's a learning curve in using it and really you should choose which you use by diameter and not strength!.
If you favour 12lb Maxima, then at least 15lb Seaguar!, knots need a bit of care too.Nowt seriously special, but tie your knots properly and carefully.
Unless you're doing something stupidly wrong like a size 14 to 25lb Maxima Chameleon or 11lb Seaguar to a 3" copper tube, I honestly don't think its such an issue, use your choice with confidence, but!, do learn how to use it properly and effectively!
ATB,Pedro.

Rrrr

Reaction score
I know this has been done to death but what tippet material does everyone use for the Tyne? Specifically for Sea Trout really as Im not sure salmon are tippet shy as much. The reason I ask is a very experienced angler at my club questioned why I was using chameleon instead of clear and since then I haven't been able to settle on tippet material. I tried trilene, seguar, etc etc but Im really not confident with the strength. For the first time last season I had a fly crack off when using flouro. It would be great if I could have a consensus of opinion as to what works specifically for the Tyne given its tinge. Im poised ready to now buy Maxima Clear but I just don't know.

If there is a consensus for flouro can I also ask what knot you're using.

Many thanks for any help, really appreciated.

LT
Brown maxima for the tyne, it perfectly matches the peat stain.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

greenhut

Reaction score
I know this has been done to death but what tippet material does everyone use for the Tyne? Specifically for Sea Trout really as Im not sure salmon are tippet shy as much. The reason I ask is a very experienced angler at my club questioned why I was using chameleon instead of clear and since then I haven't been able to settle on tippet material. I tried trilene, seguar, etc etc but Im really not confident with the strength. For the first time last season I had a fly crack off when using flouro. It would be great if I could have a consensus of opinion as to what works specifically for the Tyne given its tinge. Im poised ready to now buy Maxima Clear but I just don't know.

If there is a consensus for flouro can I also ask what knot you're using.

Many thanks for any help, really appreciated.

LT
8lb maxima chameleon for the sea trout works for me

Nath

Reaction score
I tend to use 15lb brown in the spring and when there is good water and using heavier gear and 12lb clear maxima in the summer. Works great and never let me down

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Is the Tyne total C&R this year?.I have heard nothing about this,but someone on FB seems to think so.
Chesters are, certainly the letter in the hut last year said they would be.

Following the EA’s 2017 regulations and (possibly) no evidence of a return to the upward curve in runs & catches up to 2010. There seems to have been a move to avoid compulsory EA controls.

Some beats have taken medicine that’s as bad as the disease (compulsory C&R). Most of the rest of the beats & clubs have signed up to the Conservation Angling for Salmon on the Tyne (CAST) code of conduct.

The CAST code uses some evidence to introduce some new restrictions and effectively updates the previous voluntary code from 1999.

Like all codes, you can break it and suffer no legal consequences, but if they have accepted it and others are conforming, the beat / club will probably not let you back....

leckytech

Reaction score
Lechytech, if your more confident with Maxima than owt else there's nowt wrong wi that at all.Hedge your bets and use Maxima Ultrageen!, seems sensible.
I myself am primarily a Seaguar fan, for its clarity and its sink rate.I happily use from 11lb (in the lowest of water to the tiniest flee on my 6 weight switch) up to 23lb for tubes on sunk lines from my bigger stronger rods.
As ever with new things to any individual, there's a learning curve in using it and really you should choose which you use by diameter and not strength!.
If you favour 12lb Maxima, then at least 15lb Seaguar!, knots need a bit of care too.Nowt seriously special, but tie your knots properly and carefully.
Unless you're doing something stupidly wrong like a size 14 to 25lb Maxima Chameleon or 11lb Seaguar to a 3" copper tube, I honestly don't think its such an issue, use your choice with confidence, but!, do learn how to use it properly and effectively!
ATB,Pedro.
Thanks Pedro,

So what knot do you use for your seaguar? Palomar?

leckytech

Reaction score
Brown maxima for the tyne, it perfectly matches the peat stain.

Thanks Richard,

I knew you were a brown maxima fan from a previous post :) I exclusively used brown maxima for many years but had never been lucky enough to catch a sea trout . I switched to seaguar and bang! 6lb sea trout. Coincidence? Who knows!

Mattytree

Reaction score
I’d agree with Pedro and say use what your comfy with, I go a bit over kill and use 23lb seagur for virtually every thing, just because that’s what I’m confident in and want to land that 20lber if it’s hooked with out worry and what’s caught me fish.
I do use 35lb for the top dropper length as it won’t get changed much for sessions and I’ve lost a few big fish on the 23lb chafing off rocks.

razzer

Reaction score
For salmon it doesn't realy matter what line you use, tie your fly on a bit of rope and theyd take it, salmon are far from line shy. Look what they use in russia.
Not to sure if you were targeted sea trout on the tyne it would make much difference either because of the peat stain. Ive used 18lb sensor for spinning and fly fishing for god knows how long, i seem to do ok.
I personly think flurocarbon is an expensive luxury in salmon/sea trout fishing, has its advantages for stockie fishing with buzzers ect.
Thats my opinion anyway.

Rennie

Reaction score
I have a "system" I use for all my leaders when Salmon fishing Leckytech. Wether its a poly or a tapered leader, they all end in a leader ring ,so I use the same knot to tie the cast material to the ring as I do the cast material to any flee I use.That knot is a twice through the eye, 5 turn tucked Blood Knot, and I'm not afraid to leave a wee tag end.
I can tie it in the dark behind my back time after time, perfect every time.I've learned to tie it, I know when its right or if its a bad 'un and bad ' un's get chopped off and re tied!. I have total and complete confidence it it and it hasn't let me down at all.
What you need to be aware of is a Fluro leader will fish at the same depth as an Intermediate poly tip and leader.Most mono leaders will fish a bit higher in the water.This will be particularly noticeable when the water speed changes, faster or slower or if your fishing in "popply" water with a broken surface.
One of the most important things you should be aware of when Salmon fishing, is how deep your flee is actually fishing at, thats vitally important and can make the difference between blank and bonanza-and I don't mean the TV series!
When fishing in perfect floating line circumstances I aim for 4" deep with the flee.That will take into account the weight of flee and speed/strength of the current and also drawing on experience as to what Salar is doing in front of you that day!.
What depth I fish the flee will depend on how I see the fish at that time to be behaving, or what I'm faced with on the day! that could be right on top waking, 4" deep, roughly 18" deep for running fish, then down to within 1ft of the bottom, or even at times ploughing the river bed.
Get the depth bit cracked along with the speed you fish your flee at and you can start writing books and presenting video's.
Tight lines, Pedro.

larry_grayson

Reaction score
When it comes to line I have always felt that BS and Diameter make very little difference. Quality line tied with reputable knots and with care covers it all. Have you every tried to snap 12 lb line fitted to a rod and holding the rod in a fighting position. Please don't rods are too expensive. Abrasion is the problem in nearly all cases. Check for it regularly problem solved.

leckytech

Reaction score
I have a "system" I use for all my leaders when Salmon fishing Leckytech. Wether its a poly or a tapered leader, they all end in a leader ring ,so I use the same knot to tie the cast material to the ring as I do the cast material to any flee I use.That knot is a twice through the eye, 5 turn tucked Blood Knot, and I'm not afraid to leave a wee tag end.
I can tie it in the dark behind my back time after time, perfect every time.I've learned to tie it, I know when its right or if its a bad 'un and bad ' un's get chopped off and re tied!. I have total and complete confidence it it and it hasn't let me down at all.
What you need to be aware of is a Fluro leader will fish at the same depth as an Intermediate poly tip and leader.Most mono leaders will fish a bit higher in the water.This will be particularly noticeable when the water speed changes, faster or slower or if your fishing in "popply" water with a broken surface.
One of the most important things you should be aware of when Salmon fishing, is how deep your flee is actually fishing at, thats vitally important and can make the difference between blank and bonanza-and I don't mean the TV series!
When fishing in perfect floating line circumstances I aim for 4" deep with the flee.That will take into account the weight of flee and speed/strength of the current and also drawing on experience as to what Salar is doing in front of you that day!.
What depth I fish the flee will depend on how I see the fish at that time to be behaving, or what I'm faced with on the day! that could be right on top waking, 4" deep, roughly 18" deep for running fish, then down to within 1ft of the bottom, or even at times ploughing the river bed.
Get the depth bit cracked along with the speed you fish your flee at and you can start writing books and presenting video's.
Tight lines, Pedro.
Thanks Pedro, quality post

Rrrr

Reaction score
I also have a system for the tyne and its called blanking
Spent most of tonight with the fly rod but decided to put a mepp through a bridge pool on the way home. Few fish about including one of about 15lb straight in front of me who kept sticking its head up and heading/tailing but wouldnt look at a lure.
Plan was to try hitch flies at last light but left my taperd leaders on my desk at work. only had a 10ft slow sink leader with me which may have made hitching tricky

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
I spent yesterday evening on the river too. My system is also blanking! It was quite a nice night though, the wind died off and only odd light rain showers.
I’m trying to improve my skagit casting so I’m treating my sessions as casting practice rather than fishing so I don’t ruin my confidence! 🤣
Never saw a fish! Anyone guess where I was though?DC96CC62-1A61-4DC1-977C-EE74A03F6D0B.jpegFBA7057F-6FEC-4A3F-B48E-DE5296FC85B3.jpeg

Richardgw

Reaction score
I spent yesterday evening on the river too. My system is also blanking! It was quite a nice night though, the wind died off and only odd light rain showers.
I’m trying to improve my skagit casting so I’m treating my sessions as casting practice rather than fishing so I don’t ruin my confidence! 🤣
Never saw a fish! Anyone guess where I was though?
Good looking pool. Always nice to see river pics.

I notice your comment about skagit casting. Whilst a skagit line can cast heavy tips and big weighted flies they are not the best option for the low water conditions in your pics. A lighter scandi outfit with a stealthy ‘kiss and go’ single spey cast or, in more open places, a delicate overhead cast would be far less likely to let any fish know of your presence before they see your offering.

Nath

Reaction score
Never saw a fish! Anyone guess where I was though?View attachment 45729View attachment 45730
Just below Wylam bridge , TAS water?

Did you see many?

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Just below Wylam bridge , TAS water?

Did you see many?
Yeh thats exactly where it is Nath and no I didn’t see a thing. Nothing splashing about at all. I wonder if that little lump of water from Kielder hadn’t taken any fish through that were hanging about down there?

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Good looking pool. Always nice to see river pics.

I notice your comment about skagit casting. Whilst a skagit line can cast heavy tips and big weighted flies they are not the best option for the low water conditions in your pics. A lighter scandi outfit with a stealthy ‘kiss and go’ single spey cast or, in more open places, a delicate overhead cast would be far less likely to let any fish know of your presence before they see your offering.
Yeh it’s a nice bit of water down there, quite a big water too. Not sure if you know that stretch but it’s tidal hence it looking so low, it was actually low tide. Believe me I’m very aware of the commotion I make when I’m casting with the skagit line 😳. I did have a smaller switch outfit with me but I really am trying to get to grips with the Skagit setup on that rod. I think the line is too heavy for the rod. Trouble is it’s the first Skagit setup I’ve used so I don’t have anything to benchmark against which is a bit frustrating because lines ain’t cheap! I am improving slowly though.

Nath

Reaction score
Yeh thats exactly where it is Nath and no I didn’t see a thing. Nothing splashing about at all. I wonder if that little lump of water from Kielder hadn’t taken any fish through that were hanging about down there?
I occasionally fish the other bank. It is good in prolonged dry spells and low water as fresh fish do come in off most tides, but it’s hard with the fly imo. Think your right, that bit water will have seen a good pod head up stream and fast!

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Good little plug of water coming down the S Tyne today. It needs it too.

Headed home just as it started horsing down last night. Always the bridesmaid,,,,,,,

Rrrr

Reaction score
Good little plug of water coming down the S Tyne today. It needs it too.

Headed home just as it started horsing down last night. Always the bridesmaid,,,,,,,
I got caught in the huge hail storm. Tried hiding under the bridge but the angle meant it was just as bad underneath.