River Tyne 2020

Coneheads

Reaction score
I think there's a float fished purple shrimp being cast on here I'm off !

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
:laugh::laugh: Are you sure its not a free lined ruby red dyed shrimp ? if so ?because of that I'm out !

budge

Reaction score
Are you sure its not a free lined ruby red dyed shrimp ? if so ?because of that I'm out !
Whichever it is there's a dirty great size 4 trebble ready to hook someone

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Reaction score
whats your opinion about opening all the pubs, nightclubs, and restaurants, back up? after all its exercise going back and forward to them!
personally no to that Marty because you cannot practise social distancing like you could if you where at the river in that wide open space. If you would like to lift all restrictions I would be perfectly happy with that also.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Chances of getting a size 6 cascade stuck in the back of your heed or drowning while eating a 3 course meal are pretty much zero and not so much when fishing

Coneheads

Reaction score
Chances of getting a size 6 cascade stuck in the back of your heed or drowning while eating a 3 course meal are pretty much zero and not so much when fishing
Zero ?
I've had a size 4 double, G.P. stuck in the back of my heed presented off a mate brandishing a 15ft Bruce & Walker,I was stood up quite high on a bank downstream of him wading 4/5yds in river, ,when he was double spey casting, that went tits up on the final forward stroke , the power of the cast nearly ripped me heed off , T
The point of the barbed hook was scraping on me skull when handling it,ouch what a jabbing pain hook on bone ! Mate said yull have to go to A.& E. ? no way I said to him you welted the hook in so you gonna take it out ! he replied oh no I daren't? So I suggested before attempting to extract the hook have a practice run ? so I stuck same size double in a shaky salmon bag and showed him what to do using forceps, simples ! your turn now, well if you seen his 2 bodged efforts on the bag ? bit like Kate Winslet practice with an axe on Leonardo Decaprio in the film Titanic , Anyway I just gritted my teeth and thought the aftermath is gonna be A.& E. Luck had it the hook came out clean as a whistle,
I have had another 3 hooks in my fingers beyond the barb , 1 of which I went to A.& E. so accidents do happen

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Thats my point, if you arent fishing you arent going to get a hook stuck in you.

Coneheads

Reaction score
Read the full thing again properly
Chances of getting a size 6 cascade stuck in the back of your heed or drowning while eating a 3 course meal are pretty much zero,,,,, (yes no chance of that getting a size 6 cascade in the back of your heed in Wetherspoons, drowning nope ,but getting sozzled yes) and not so much when fishing ? you mean no chance of a 3 course meal when fishing?( I normally take a pie/pasty and a can of coke ?) as you can drown and get hooked up to your heed when fishing ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Chances of getting a size 6 cascade stuck in the back of your heed or drowning while eating a 3 course meal are pretty much zero,,,,, (yes no chance of that getting a size 6 cascade in the back of your heed in Wetherspoons, drowning nope ,but getting sozzled yes) and not so much when fishing ? you mean no chance of a 3 course meal when fishing?( I normally take a pie/pasty and a can of coke ?) as you can drown and get hooked up to your heed when fishing ?
Surely nee one needs things explaing this much. Everything i type you question ? Why ? If you have an issue then say something.

long Preston

Reaction score
there's a few like that Ray- I think lockdown is getting some of the peeps a bit angsty.-fishing in another 4 weeks is my guess-that should reduce the traffic on here to zero overnight

Rrrr

Reaction score
Counts arent looking good for the tyne. Surely that cant be right with 7 fish through riding mill.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stivy

Reaction score
Counts arent looking good for the tyne. Surely that cant be right with 7 fish through riding mill.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Hi Rrrr,
I have been told that the fish counter at Riding Mill is not working and wasn't working towards the end of last season. Plenty of fish were physically seen going through the fish pass but they weren't being recorded. Plenty have been seen recently but again not counted.
Cheers,
Stiv

Sperlash

Reaction score
Hi Rrrr,
I have been told that the fish counter at Riding Mill is not working and wasn't working towards the end of last season. Plenty of fish were physically seen going through the fish pass but they weren't being recorded. Plenty have been seen recently but again not counted.
Cheers,
Stiv
Im not a defeatist but that seems a convenient excuse for severe lack of fish and s*** management.The main tyne in october was barren compared to other years reflecting the actual disastrous count.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Fish where there, some of the south Tyne beats had there best in years or records .

I noticed a lot of folk refusing to change tactics and blanking on the north... the river There was twice the size of its usual self for most of the last few months.
Once I changed tactics I actually had my best season.

T7

Reaction score
Fish where there, some of the south Tyne beats had there best in years or records .

I noticed a lot of folk refusing to change tactics and blanking on the north... the river There was twice the size of its usual self for most of the last few months.
Very interesting to hear. What sort of changes did you make? Cheers

Sperlash

Reaction score

Pretty much all the summer run went straight up early to alston and bellingham, granted , big gun tactics will always winkle a few out.The point I was making regarding run/counter failure was that the lower beats had virtually no fish coming at them ,in the latter so called peak backend period ,both confirmed by count and anglers in person fishing.It just seems like a coincidence when fishings c**p and nothings been obseved it cant be lack of fish it must be a faulty counter.

Last edited:

Daventus

Reaction score
Hi Rrrr,
Cheers,
Stiv
If counter not working how did it record some fish.Even if it had been off all the days with zero.Looking at the days it counted it would probably equate to 0.5 fish per day.Like I said before season started it will be a poor year.Some people are blinkered when they mention the Tyne,especially when not from the area.(I wouldn’t swap it though)

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
If counter not working how did it record some fish.Even if it had been off all the days with zero.Looking at the days it counted it would probably equate to 0.5 fish per day.Like I said before season started it will be a poor year.Some people are blinkered when they mention the Tyne,especially when not from the area.(I wouldn’t swap it though)
Last season I fished Chesters for 3 days, in almost identical conditions to when I fished in 2012, which was also a generally high water and low count year.

In 2012 I had 3 in an hour and watched dozens of fish each day.

Last season I could count on one hand the number of fish I saw moving in 3 days. I hooked one and lost it at the net. Only 1 fish was taken from both beats that week with 2 more lost, apart from the one I hooked, they all came from the same lie.

I fished Haltwhistle AC water for about couple of days immediately after Chesters. A couple of guys had hit paydirt on a rise, with 5 or 6 ST in a short space of time, then nothing.

From that (admittedly short) experience of last year and talking to a few people I know. It seems clear that fish numbers last year were poor in comparison to the last, say 20 years.

The fish also seemed to be behaving differently too, hitting the upper reaches early on, in good water. Remember folk on here were predicting a drought?

I also heard about some potential problems with counts towards the end of last season and some anecdotal evidence that the Riding Mill alterations may have had an impact on numbers through the counter. Nobody was suggesting that there was a massive undercount, or that numbers of fish were anything but poor last year,, but small differences may have a bigger impact ’ when numbers are so low.

Last year was the return of the 2+1 Grilse from eggs laid during Storm Frank. This year it will be the turn of 2+2SW fish. Fish, numbers may be on the low side again.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Pretty much all the summer run went straight up early to alston and bellingham, granted , big gun tactics will always winkle a few out.The point I was making regarding run/counter failure was that the lower beats had virtually no fish coming at them ,in the latter so called peak backend period ,both confirmed by count and anglers in person fishing.It just seems like a coincidence when fishings c**p and nothings been obseved it cant be lack of fish it must be a faulty counter.
I fished styford late September , I netted two for one lad and he lost a third and he had been trying to land an English salmon for 10 years! Another lad had 2-3 and his friend another ... I blanked 😆 I think with the water being the way it was the fish just constantly ran and it was pure luck of being in the right place and time ... who am I kidding I don’t have a clue and never will understand salmon...I don’t think the lads around Bellingham had a great last month or two , I was seeing and catching some quite fresh fish for October below the rede.. mostly in running lies though.