River Tweed

Status
Not open for further replies.

martymo

Reaction score
Any reports for from people actively fishing on the tweed. I see that some bottom and lower beats are producing slightly better catches. I assume the cooler water might be stirring things up a bit. Are these autumn fish just arriving or older summer fish coming on the take. I would like to get out for a days fishing soon and cannot make my mind up where to go, upper river for most likely older fish to target or bottom river with the hope of a bar of silver.

All news welcome

M

D

Dunbar

Reasonable numbers of fish in Cardrona area, but all old stale fish.

D

Deleted member 945

Catches starting to look a bit more respectable. Are there fresh fish coming in to the lower river now??

britfisher

Reaction score
Tweed latest

Had 3 days on Bemersyde at the beginning of the week. We had 5 fish, all stale, best 12lbs. The head ghillie was in regular contact with the ghillies on a good number of other beats, including a number below Kelso that were catching good numbers. None reported any fresh fish other than the odd small grilse.

At the hotel where I was staying in Melrose, there was a rumour circulating that the rods due to fish Hendersyde for the week didn't bother to turn up for their weeks fishing. Apparently they had been informed that there were no fresh fish in the river and didn't want to fish for stale fish!

Some well known low water beats, such as Upper Pavillion are producing large numbers, including no less than 15 fish in a day last Tuesday. Again though, none of the fish were fresh.

Looks like the Autumn run is a bit late this year.

B/f

Stoater

Reaction score
But are there fresh fish in the beats around Norham now? If not, I think we cannot expect any autumn run to speak of.:confused:

britfisher

Reaction score
Stale fish being caught more than once?

Over the last few weeks it seems that 80-100 fish are being caught every day on average. If no new fish are coming in - and at this height fish have previously been reluctant to move beyond Coldstream bridge - how many times are some of the stale fish being caught, especially below Kelso? Even if it's a couple of times each there must still be a sizeable head of fish in the lower river.

On a slightly different tack; I'm old enough to remember a season some years ago when there was persistent low water through September and October. Fish just wouldn't move past Coldstream bridge and Tillmouth and Ladykirk had record years, often catching 50+ fresh fish a day. No sign of that this year, even if they are getting a few fresh ones (and I don't know that they are!) Clearly the Autumn run is either very late or there are very few fish at the mouth waiting to run the river.

Is the Tweed reverting back to being a spring river?

Stoater

Reaction score
Not sure they've ever had 50 fish a day, let alone fresh ones!
But certainly catches of a vastly higher level than of the last few years were recorded in the low water year of 2003, and also some following years, prior to the apparent collapse of the autumn runs. No need to panic yet, let things pan out as they say, it is a long term cyclical thing

Handel

Reaction score
Not sure they've ever had 50 fish a day, let alone fresh ones!
But certainly catches of a vastly higher level than of the last few years were recorded in the low water year of 2003, and also some following years, prior to the apparent collapse of the autumn runs. No need to panic yet, let things pan out as they say, it is a long term cyclical thing

There was a decent back end run in 2013.

Rennie

Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago that a lower Tweed beat had to cease fishing in the low water conditions as so many fish wee being caught that they were concerned about the Levy being artificially inflated by the outstanding catches being made.Eoin Fairgreive I beleive(I'll stand correction here!) had 25 to his own rod in a single day!.
Pedro.

Stoater

Reaction score
It wasn't that long ago that a lower Tweed beat had to cease fishing in the low water conditions as so many fish wee being caught that they were concerned about the Levy being artificially inflated by the outstanding catches being made.Eoin Fairgreive I beleive(I'll stand correction here!) had 25 to his own rod in a single day!.
Pedro.

Yes, that was 2003- it was not that difficult to get into double figures for a day around Norham then…… it was Horncliffe that stopped the fishing, not that it helped them, as the levy isn't charged on an annual catch basis! The beat directly above also began issuing "evening tickets", which did not go down very well with longstanding rods who thought they'd booked the beat for the day….. such is human nature when money is involved!
Subsequently, Horncliffe have also whacked the price up at the last minute when lots of fish are around….. talk about wanting it all ways! But I understand it has new owners now, not sure about the gillie though.

marty31

Reaction score
Yes, that was 2003- it was not that difficult to get into double figures for a day around Norham then…… it was Horncliffe that stopped the fishing, not that it helped them, as the levy isn't charged on an annual catch basis! The beat directly above also began issuing "evening tickets", which did not go down very well with longstanding rods who thought they'd booked the beat for the day….. such is human nature when money is involved!
Subsequently, Horncliffe have also whacked the price up at the last minute when lots of fish are around….. talk about wanting it all ways! But I understand it has new owners now, not sure about the gillie though.
that's right, he doubled the advertised price for a day, on a take it or leave it basis, the bottom river was absolutely beyond stuffed, funny the fish came in, in low water that year!

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
up-country

had a nice day on the tweed catchmeant today,dont normaly fish for kippas but as it was a free bit of fishing thru a invite i just had to, felt strange fishing for salmon in november,managed 3 fish,all cock fish funny enough,smallest was 2 x 10lb and one mighty biggy 25lb+ easy from a very small tweed trib well up river............

had a great day yesterday 2x 10lb and a really good fish easy 25lb and maybe a touch more upcountry from salmon viewing centre near the etterick, but not the etterick, fished via invite with a friend,stopped off on the way home looked at many places namely gala water which i think is free fishing,never stopped at the weir but looked behind asda in gala (shiels) seen nothing water was flooded,then stopped at jed water then teviot, think thats it for me now till january next season.anyway had a great day all the same love the border areas nothing short of stunning.
i think its quite shocking that ppl still fish hard for fish this time of yr,they really need to be left alone whilst in the gravid state and almost ready to spawn the lad i was with also had fish,again one of them chucked its juice so to speak all over him.not my cuppa tea-kippas...........

Stoater

Reaction score
had a nice day on the tweed catchmeant today,dont normaly fish for kippas but as it was a free bit of fishing thru a invite i just had to, felt strange fishing for salmon in november,managed 3 fish,all cock fish funny enough,smallest was 2 x 10lb and one mighty biggy 25lb+ easy from a very small tweed trib well up river............

had a great day yesterday 2x 10lb and a really good fish easy 25lb and maybe a touch more upcountry from salmon viewing centre near the etterick, but not the etterick, fished via invite with a friend,stopped off on the way home looked at many places namely gala water which i think is free fishing,never stopped at the weir but looked behind asda in gala (shiels) seen nothing water was flooded,then stopped at jed water then teviot, think thats it for me now till january next season.anyway had a great day all the same love the border areas nothing short of stunning.
i think its quite shocking that ppl still fish hard for fish this time of yr,they really need to be left alone whilst in the gravid state and almost ready to spawn the lad i was with also had fish,again one of them chucked its juice so to speak all over him.not my cuppa tea-kippas...........

Yarrow water maybe? You might have been aware that this is prime spawning territory for Tweed springers, which would all be very gravid by now, and perhaps best left unmolested so soon to spawning. Or, actually in the act of spawning. A very contradictory and slightly disturbing post from someone so experienced. If , indeed , it a genuine post, and not a wind-up?

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
so you like that comment do yer? seems yer another idiot who follows the leader (nelly) as i dont know you either and you dont know me all yer doing is being abusive when im being nice as nine pence whats the crack there like? anyway fcu.k you too as.sole

Bit touchy eh.
Nae sense of humour, but you didn't help yerself in your post!
Language like that used in two of your replies belies your education which seems now like a waste.
Enjoy the rest of the replies now and do a me by grabbing a coffee.......

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score

Bit touchy eh.
Nae sense of humour, but you didn't help yerself in your post!
Language like that used in two of your replies belies your education which seems now like a waste.
Enjoy the rest of the replies now and do a me by grabbing a coffee.......

well yeah touchy is a understatement when someone who doesnt even know me call me the worst kind,what would you have said nothing,and as for inappropiate lingo well these forums are awash with lingo like that so yeah touchy..........yes the kettle is on ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.