River Tweed 2020

lefthandup

Reaction score
so right! a man catches 8 on fly, he is a talented fisherman with great skill! a man catches 4 on spin, he is a fishmonger idiot who is on the line of being illegal, and the method should be stopped.
I know plenty fishmongers who fish fly only.

Dunbar

Reaction score
These are the guys that will jeopardise the future of trout fishing that is given over to the local Associations to manage. In most cases the Associations pay no money for the trout fishing rights. That is why they are able to offer trout and Grayling fishing so cheaply. It is the proprietors of the salmon fishing that solely pay the levy to the RTC who manage the Tweed. If the goodwill between the Associations and the proprietors is lost because of ignorant behaviour by a few, then we could end up losing many miles of good trout and Grayling fishing on the upper Tweed.

Speaking to a ghillie on the lower river he was telling me that Coldstream Trout Association have banned chest waders for trout or Grayling fishers. Something that the upper river might have to consider also, or perhaps during the months of August and September. The majority of the complaints involve anglers deep wading while fishing bugs. For those not familiar with the technique. It involves wading deep out into the river because there is no conventional fly line or casting involved. While watching an angler bugging the practice appears to have more in common with bait fishing than conventional fly fishing. The cast is basically flicking out a short mono cast with a team of heavy bugs. Hence the need to wade so far out.

On the Peebleshire Association that I am a committee member of, we don’t allow Grayling fishing on the waters we manage between 1st October and 31st December, specifically to try to avoid a conflict of interest between salmon anglers and Grayling fishers and also to avoid fish being disturbed while spawning. The fact that fish are now starting to appear earlier in the upper river is the main reason that this situation is now becoming a bit of a problem, especially during the month of September.
Good point Kenny. I’m every bit a trout angler but I can see greater potential for conflict on the upper river due to the earlier runs and less physical room for manoeuvre than there is on the middle/lower river. I’m pretty sure that there are a number of trout anglers who are now capitalising on the prospect of getting into a salmon on the trout ticket and upping their tackle a bit - but not enough to say categorically that they are targeting salmon. It’s very difficult to police as there is so much overlap between trout and salmon tackle these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
ADH is officially back! but only on a monthly basis instead of weekly! summer spinning is now the gripe! the seasons have officially changed! apparently the old traditional spin season (as the netting season) start on 14feb to 14 sept is now outdated! the season has changed, and now the fish run late spring -summer so the fly only remainder (14 sept-30 of nov) is now not the prime season, because the main fresh fish run! has ran? so apparently is outdated and needs addressed accordingly! the one man mission is ongoing! what about another mission to run along side! how about a mission to remove artificial structures (the lees cauld)? then put the river back to its original pre cauld natural course, think of the benefits? all those old fish caught on a daily basis, remarked on by the head gillie, could then in low water, migrate naturally to the desired upper water, after all, man made structures on rivers, no longer needed for their original use, should be removed, as on the tweed ongoing improvement programme regarding spawning tributaries, I think that's what needs addressed in near future, not the tenth addition to the tweed anti spin vendetta.

marty31

Reaction score
looking on tweedbeats editorial tonight to see if it had been updated (it hadn't ) in fairness ADH said last week, it was going to be more like a monthly update rather than weekly! however reading the last weeks version again he remarks of spinning being overused, in summer, according to him now prime months, he even remarked of (fishmongering) his chosen wording! looking back at Saturdays tweedbeats catch chart! I happened to notice "the lees 19" ???? Mmm fishmongering?? I cannot ever remember that daily score on 100% spinner, in the so called new prime months, these lees fish were obviously fly caught, and by the gillie feedback old coloured fish??? is this deemed right? and the lesser amount that were partly spinner caught wrong?? I don't think so! it basically stinks, totally undermining his statement (in my eyes)

Coneheads

Reaction score
looking on tweedbeats editorial tonight to see if it had been updated (it hadn't ) in fairness ADH said last week, it was going to be more like a monthly update rather than weekly! however reading the last weeks version again he remarks of spinning being overused, in summer, according to him now prime months, he even remarked of (fishmongering) his chosen wording! looking back at Saturdays tweedbeats catch chart! I happened to notice "the lees 19" ???? Mmm fishmongering?? I cannot ever remember that daily score on 100% spinner, in the so called new prime months, these lees fish were obviously fly caught, and by the gillie feedback old coloured fish??? is this deemed right? and the lesser amount that were partly spinner caught wrong?? I don't think so! it basically stinks, totally undermining his statement (in my eyes)
Mmm fishmongering ? I always thought fishmongering were chapped fish ? :unsure:
Looking at some of the pics of fish grassed in mid September to present ,on the Spey and Tweed ,the bulk of the fish are well into spawning dress, looks like many could look at home on their redds ? only difference is the Spey shuts down On 1st October , Some big cock fish been grassed on the lower Tweed,Yesterday pics on Pedwell some real crocodiles amongst them, It will be interesting to see after this deluge/spate, if the fish make their way to the middle and upper reaches as the water temps have dropped, inducing greater numbers of fish caught to be hauled off their redds , as the bulk of the fish have lodged in the beats below the Junction , and up to Rutherford , but hey ho a silver fish off Ladykirk recently ,pic on here

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Looking at some of the pics of fish grassed in mid September to present ,on the Spey and Tweed ,the bulk of the fish are well into spawning dress, looks like many could look at home on their redds ? only difference is the Spey shuts down On 1st October , Some big cock fish been grassed on the lower Tweed,Yesterday pics on Pedwell some real crocodiles amongst them, It will be interesting to see after this deluge/spate, if the fish make their way to the middle and upper reaches as the water temps have dropped, inducing greater numbers of fish caught to be hauled off their redds , as the bulk of the fish have lodged in the beats below the Junction , and up to Rutherford , but hey ho a silver fish off Ladykirk recently ,pic on here
Coneheads, I think you deliberately try to wind folk up and stir up controversy with some of your comments. You clearly have no experience of fishing the upper river, unless perhaps, you were up to no good in the past, if you seriously think fish are being hauled off redds? No self respecting legitimate angler would be deliberately fishing for spawning fish.
Obviously, coming into the end of the season ,there are fish present in all colours. Fish that have entered the river in early spring will be well coloured and ready for spawning but others are not and some may even be quite silver. As you know, coloured fish are caught at the very bottom of the river as well as the top.
The upper river has the shortest season of all and is just really about to come into its own now. We are certainly the “cheap seats” on the river, but for many, it is the only affordable fishing available. Good for you, if you have hung up your rods early, having been fishing for several months on the lower river, but don’t knock others waiting for their chance of some sport now.

Last edited:

Elibank

Reaction score
Pathetic trolling again

Coneheads

Reaction score
Some on here take no winding up ? Not trolling just facts, Reading M. C. Lees report on Tweedfisher web site, most of the fish are being caught in the streamier water, redding instinct maybe ? and not in the main pools ? that be fine for the Upper Tweed in the shallower pools up there at Elibank and the likes .

Lamson v10

Reaction score
_20201003_150109.JPG

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Some on here take no winding up ? Not trolling just facts, Reading M. C. Lees report on Tweedfisher web site, most of the fish are being caught in the streamier water, redding instinct maybe ? and not in the main pools ? that be fine for the Upper Tweed in the shallower pools up there at Elibank and the likes .
And YOU on here just like to be a first class p****

Coneheads

Reaction score
Tweed rods out in the rain today done ok catches wise , But when you have paid £???'s pounds for your day fishing you don't let a bit rain put you off fishing unless you are loaded, well done all rods fishing , Lees done ok this week with 59 , Biggest flood of the season imminent .

lefthandup

Reaction score
Tweed rods out in the rain today done ok catches wise , But when you have paid £???'s pounds for your day fishing you don't let a bit rain put you off fishing unless you are loaded, well done all rods fishing , Lees done ok this week with 59 , Biggest flood of the season imminent .
Looked to me like the Lee's were catching them all out the same pool 😂

Hope the draw was fair to all 🤭

marty31

Reaction score
Coneheads welcome back from your holiday! being totally honest! I have genuinely missed you! firstly "fishmongering was ADs choice of words, but I am sure it could well be used In the instance of the author's own commercial beat, firstly how many are chapped? after all the lees has a reputation of the biggest chappin beat on tweed! secondly the phrase "fishmongering could well be used in the instance of in low water either side of a man made cauld, when fish are stuck and distressed cutting early redds then pestering them to take! dragging them in for photos putting them back, then going through the whole process again and again but that at the moment is down to the individual proprietors choice, but 19 in one day, raises big questions considering the owners, public comments regarding other beats, and portraying his own to be whiter than fresh snow, also its well known to be fishing into the midnight sun, with little rest for the red cutting early, probably spring (once protected) fish, we all know the river needs the water today will bring to move these fish to the upper river, thirdly you and others, told me the lees was not fly water and was as still as ours down the tidal bottom, this is obviously not the case, when these disrespectful videos/photos are portrayed on social media sites all one can see is lots and lots of fairy tale fly perfection, lastly these old photos you refer too are correctly as you say OLD things and moral expectations have moved on! I can as probably you can? remember the days when Everything was killed and retained, this now is not in anyway acceptable and you jolly well know it! hope you didn't get a chill today, fishin in all that rain?

Coneheads

Reaction score
Coneheads welcome back from your holiday! being totally honest! I have genuinely missed you! firstly "fishmongering was ADs choice of words, but I am sure it could well be used In the instance of the author's own commercial beat, firstly how many are chapped? after all the lees has a reputation of the biggest chappin beat on tweed! secondly the phrase "fishmongering
61 Lees last week on wee tubes, and 1 fish taken , bled out , deep hooker ? biggest chapping beat :unsure: ? decent catch rate 61, 10 in the rain on Saturday.
61 to 5 rods ok @ £2k per day catching crocs ? pays yer money and takes yer chance, I seen rods advertised on Tweedbeats @ £320 per rod in October a few weeks ago, not sure if that included VAT ? just a envelope logo there at present ?

So much for some on here ,you too ! saying Fly hooked ,yes including Sunrays too , deep hook more fish than FC'S ? sometimes wonder what planet some are on here blurting such Gobbly Gook out ? So 61 on FC's would result in zero deep hookers then ? 10 bled outers out of 61 more like it ?

Welcome back ?Missed ? Genuinely ? totally honest ? give ower Marty (n) Did you dust your fly rod down then as you said earlier on here and book some casting lessons for the fly only fishing 👍 ? have you grassed any since putting your spin rods away ?

I wonder why Gingers TH beat took all their September rods off fishpal at the end of August ? maybe cos the cheapest available on the Tweed bottom river September onwards @ £95 + vat per day , ? maybe one buyer cashing in ?

marty31

Reaction score
Coneheads, I think you deliberately try to wind folk up and stir up controversy with some of your comments. You clearly have no experience of fishing the upper river, unless perhaps, you were up to no good in the past, if you seriously think fish are being hauled off redds? No self respecting legitimate angler would be deliberately fishing for spawning fish.
Obviously, coming into the end of the season ,there are fish present in all colours. Fish that have entered the river in early spring will be well coloured and ready for spawning but others are not and some may even be quite silver. As you know, coloured fish are caught at the very bottom of the river as well as the top.
The upper river has the shortest season of all and is just really about to come into its own now. We are certainly the “cheap seats” on the river, but for many, it is the only affordable fishing available. Good for you, if you have hung up your rods early, having been fishing for several months on the lower river, but don’t knock others waiting for their chance of some sport now.
[/QUOTE
61 Lees last week on wee tubes, and 1 fish taken , bled out , deep hooker ? biggest chapping beat :unsure: ? decent catch rate 61, 10 in the rain on Saturday.
61 to 5 rods ok @ £2k per day catching crocs ? pays yer money and takes yer chance, I seen rods advertised on Tweedbeats @ £320 per rod in October a few weeks ago, not sure if that included VAT ? just a envelope logo there at present ?

So much for some on here ,you too ! saying Fly hooked ,yes including Sunrays too , deep hook more fish than FC'S ? sometimes wonder what planet some are on here blurting such Gobbly Gook out ? So 61 on FC's would result in zero deep hookers then ? 10 bled outers out of 61 more like it ?

Welcome back ?Missed ? Genuinely ? totally honest ? give ower Marty (n) Did you dust your fly rod down then as you said earlier on here and book some casting lessons for the fly only fishing 👍 ? have you grassed any since putting your spin rods away ?

I wonder why Gingers TH beat took all their September rods off fishpal at the end of August ? maybe cos the cheapest available on the Tweed bottom river September onwards @ £95 + vat per day , ? maybe one buyer cashing in ?
welcome back out of the "naughty seat" sorry but 2 grand a day to croc fish? na not for me! working class lad! and yeah been fly fishing, and yes have had fish! unless a miracle happens we have had all our fish now, 162 and one bleeder/killed so yeah I scoff at your and a lot of other 1 in 5 fc bleeders, complete and utter garbage! 3 mates had a day on lower drybrough, 3 oldies caught one deep hooker (fly) had to be killed, truth is the fly only men just are not telling the complete truth are they CH? I personally think crocs guarding their redds are more prone to deep hooking! no doubt you will disagree! you often mention the Northumberland fed rules! their rule is no fishing for 100 meters below man made caulds and 25m above, what about a RTC questionnaire regarding the implicating of this by law? then the masses of distressed fish cutting early redds would get a bit of rest and piece instead of being pestered stupid by 2 grand a day fly men, caught then caught again! a disgraceful trait imo, hows WN fishing? one minute the post that they are not fishing for old fish, next minute they are! I think your right! I should fly fish more! I really enjoyed it! trouble is, I am a bit rusty (as you say) so next season I think I will do more fishing out of the boat, early mornings in the squire, weight down, and no need for competition style casting, lunch on boat, cannot wait! you keep mentioning your bud "ginge" yes he doesn't fish after sept, because he works elsewhere, 2 pays was his local nickname! then a local recons that's wrong! its 3 pays, apparently he delivers xmas turkeys for a tupence halfpenny cowboy butchers in some local village tut tut, oh well, lets hope next seasons as good as this one CH? thinking seriously about following your early retirement, lifestyle, as people say "you cannot work forever" of course it would mean a hell of a lot more time on the river! but that would be good wouldn't it? tight lines at WN when the water drops! my experience of bottom river this time of year, is after a flood this big! its fooked, such a shame! hope to meet up soon
regards M31 or if you prefer MFC

Coneheads

Reaction score
M31
The few deep hooked backend salmon i have caught have all been hen fish, the Male crocks tend more to neb flies,spinners too than deep hook at this time of the season I've never deep hooked a croc , actually hooked crocs in the top neb hole on spinner and fly, Prob why many losses ? I have deep hooked cock fish springers

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
M31
The few deep hooked backend salmon i have caught have all been hen fish, the Male crocks tend more to neb flies,spinners too than deep hook at this time of the season I've never deep hooked a croc , actually hooked crocs in the top neb hole on spinner and fly, Prob why many losses ? I have deep hooked cock fish springers
I have seen plenty deep hooked crocs mainly on fly, are you in favour of a survey regarding adopting the hundred metre rule below man made obstacles? after all its a Northumberland fed rule, so I think the RTC need to lay off about hooks, spinners, etc and focus on a more important issue like this! whats happened this season regarding stressed out stuck old fish, and the carnage, that the 2 grand a day men did, damaging our ever more important brood stock, pestering stuck fish, to eventually take a fly! dragging them in, posing for photos for SM cannot be described as anything else but wrong, shocking, and a disgrace.

Coneheads

Reaction score
whats happened this season regarding stressed out stuck old fish, and the carnage, that the 2 grand a day men did, damaging our ever more important brood stock, pestering stuck fish, to eventually take a fly! dragging them in, posing for photos for SM cannot be described as anything else but wrong, shocking, and a disgrace.
I don't think any fish were "stuck " they just didn't want to migrate upriver , ample spates to spur them on ? 90% in the beats Rutherford to the tidal beats going off the catches, as for photo's of fish all the Tweed beats are at it , gets a bit boring seeing them all hoisted out of the water,