River Tweed 2020

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
The salmon that don't run...sitting potted in the pools.
No wonder the numbers on the Tweed are so high, they must be catching the same fish over and over.
With so many fish in the river I very much doubt anyone is catching the same fish twice. Fish have certainly been running, just not big numbers moving into the upper river, yet. Saw plenty moving through the lower river on Saturday.

lefthandup

Reaction score
With so many fish in the river I very much doubt anyone is catching the same fish twice. Fish have certainly been running, just not big numbers moving into the upper river, yet. Saw plenty moving through the lower river on Saturday.
I'm in no doubt at all fish get caught more than once so I disagree with you on that one.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I'm in no doubt at all fish get caught more than once so I disagree with you on that one.
I would not dispute that fact but I doubt very much that the numbers of fish being caught on Tweed just now are being artificially boosted to any significant degree by recaptures. Obviously, there will be a certain number of recaptures on all rivers where any catch and release takes place.

Prawnfisher

Reaction score
I put this item in the Tweed sector in order to make Tweed rods aware of imminent changes in speed limits in 80 Border towns and villages in October and November - not just yours. I hope that this will enable local and English rods to avoid fines and endorsements by driving legally, many English rods might otherwise have missed the news item, thus spoiling an otherwise enjoyable annual trip.

Thanks to your sanctimonious bed wetting post, I’m sure that more brothers of the angle will be aware of this, and I’m sure that they join with me in thanking you for your efforts. Keep the good work going, but please up your game and read the SBC thingy for camera locations, remember it was 80?
Aww diddums. Don't like it when your stupid comments get called out ? This is a classic ".....this will mean that cyclists once again will have to make no contributions."
What an idiot.

marty31

Reaction score
the tweed never stops amazing me! we (bottom river) at this time of year, given the last 5 weeks of fresh water, are normally all but finished regarding catches, 2 foot on gauge this morning, nobody bothering going, a rod went up late afternoon for a couple of hours, 3 hooked 2 landed both brand new, nothing opposite or above for at least 3 mile with the beats being fully booked, luck of the draw? maybe? none of these been caught twice! been a funny year! hope next years the same.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Good to hear fresh fish are still coming in marty 👍🏻 but can you please tell them to start moving to the upper river, I fished for 4hrs this afternoon and never seen a fin
Interestingly, I spoke to a couple of guys trout fishing with heavy bugs at Cardrona this evening. One of them was telling me he had six salmon last week on bugs and all from the upper river. He was not targeting them and said he did not want to catch salmon, as they muck up his gear. Think we might all have to change our tactics.

Last edited:

Elibank

Reaction score
Interestingly, I spoke to a couple of guys trout fishing with heavy bugs at Cardrona this evening. One of them was telling me he had six salmon last week on bugs and all from the upper river. He was not targeting them and said he did not want to catch salmon, as they muck up his gear. Think we might all have to change our tactics.
John Norris will be busy next month....

flytay

Reaction score
I fished the lower Tweed yesterday and it was full of fish jumping about all over the place but all the ones I saw were coloured. Covered fish probably every cast but not a single pull. Some evidence of redds being cut. The season appears to be getting shorter and shorter.

Good to hear that some fresh fish are still coming. Let's hope this is start of some kind of autumn run!!

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I fished the lower Tweed yesterday and it was full of fish jumping about all over the place but all the ones I saw were coloured. Covered fish probably every cast but not a single pull. Some evidence of redds being cut. The season appears to be getting shorter and shorter.

Good to hear that some fresh fish are still coming. Let's hope this is start of some kind of autumn run!!
Redds being cut already ??

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
The more I read and hear, the more I think there are times when an upstream nymph/fly drifted past the salmon will be far more effective than conventional salmon fly fishing. It seems particularly when fish are resting rather than running.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Water temperature still far too warm for salmon spawning. Must be “practice redds” that fish sometimes create, especially when there are a lot of fish sitting waiting.

Wee-Eck

Reaction score
That is how I have been fishing the Red Francis for years. Cast across and upstream allowing the fly to sink. The take usually comes when the current eventually catches the fly and as it starts to rise. If no take, then fish it sink and draw until it is below you and ready for the next cast. You don't need 'bugs' just a heavy fly. Although I prefer the Francis, coneheads and pigs would probably work just as well.

Rennie

Reaction score
Thats not what the Guys fishing some of Upper Tweeds Salmon beats at Salmon beat prices will tell you, £50+ a day (currently!) Salmon fishers having to give way or fish round £10 a day Trout and Grayling fishers who stand right out in the pools and refuse to move and who like as not will be wading right through the redd's any time shortly!.That and helping them selves to the parking reserved for the Salmon fishers.The old adage of "I not understand" or "I don't speak English" seems to be a common defence!.
Sadly the two are not going to mix. especially when some seem intent on abusing the situation!
Pedro.

ArchieL

Reaction score
That boy has got a real boner for the FC , The way he spouts only ensures i would never fish anywhere he was involved with. Jealousy that boys that are allowed to spin have got a lure that is so consistent at catching fish in any river height or condition , upstream or downstream. I very rarely fish it as it kills my back and i much prefer devons and rapalas when the waters up.

What would you do if you say was taking out a family friend or your young son for the first few times salmon fishing and you were allowed to spin the beat ?

OPTION A: Tell them listen spinning is rubbish and not sporting and for losers and you must persist with the big fly rod even though you cannot get to grips with it and will never catch due to you having no skill or ability in your first few outings ?

OPTION B: Set them up with a FC and get them casting in no time and enjoying their day out while actually having the chance of catching a salmon as a pure novice.

Now i know some boys will give the FC a bad rep with the way they fish a pool or hog a spot. Not everyone can roll up to a prime beat in a bentley and be guided in a perfect looking pool full of fish and fish the fly all day. There is bangers on both the fly and spinning only side. Me i would rather have the option not taken away from me like what happened with the shrimp.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Thats not what the Guys fishing some of Upper Tweeds Salmon beats at Salmon beat prices will tell you, £50+ a day (currently!) Salmon fishers having to give way or fish round £10 a day Trout and Grayling fishers who stand right out in the pools and refuse to move and who like as not will be wading right through the redd's any time shortly!.That and helping them selves to the parking reserved for the Salmon fishers.The old adage of "I not understand" or "I don't speak English" seems to be a common defence!.
Sadly the two are not going to mix. especially when some seem intent on abusing the situation!
Pedro.
These are the guys that will jeopardise the future of trout fishing that is given over to the local Associations to manage. In most cases the Associations pay no money for the trout fishing rights. That is why they are able to offer trout and Grayling fishing so cheaply. It is the proprietors of the salmon fishing that solely pay the levy to the RTC who manage the Tweed. If the goodwill between the Associations and the proprietors is lost because of ignorant behaviour by a few, then we could end up losing many miles of good trout and Grayling fishing on the upper Tweed.

Speaking to a ghillie on the lower river he was telling me that Coldstream Trout Association have banned chest waders for trout or Grayling fishers. Something that the upper river might have to consider also, or perhaps during the months of August and September. The majority of the complaints involve anglers deep wading while fishing bugs. For those not familiar with the technique. It involves wading deep out into the river because there is no conventional fly line or casting involved. While watching an angler bugging the practice appears to have more in common with bait fishing than conventional fly fishing. The cast is basically flicking out a short mono cast with a team of heavy bugs. Hence the need to wade so far out.

On the Peebleshire Association that I am a committee member of, we don’t allow Grayling fishing on the waters we manage between 1st October and 31st December, specifically to try to avoid a conflict of interest between salmon anglers and Grayling fishers and also to avoid fish being disturbed while spawning. The fact that fish are now starting to appear earlier in the upper river is the main reason that this situation is now becoming a bit of a problem, especially during the month of September.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I had an idiot the other week start wading up the middle of the pool I was fishing down, he got a frigging mouth full🤬🤬🤬, there's some decent lad's on the upper river fish for the trout /grayling but some of these idiots are out targeting salmon and just using trout/grayling fishing as a cover

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Doesn’t like spinning but isn’t opposed to a wee bit of trolling I see. Old enough to know better but clearly likes the attention.

WRT fishmongering; I wonder if he remembers those T&S articles he wrote about catching 10 (or was it 15) fish in Birgham Dub one afternoon and with his mates catching big numbers on the shin in 2010?

Of course that’s different because only spinners fishmonger....

marty31

Reaction score
Doesn’t like spinning but isn’t opposed to a wee bit of trolling I see. Old enough to know better but clearly likes the attention.

WRT fishmongering; I wonder if he remembers those T&S articles he wrote about catching 10 (or was it 15) fish in Birgham Dub one afternoon and with his mates catching big numbers on the shin in 2010?

Of course that’s different because only spinners fishmonger....
so right! a man catches 8 on fly, he is a talented fisherman with great skill! a man catches 4 on spin, he is a fishmonger idiot who is on the line of being illegal, and the method should be stopped.

westie4566

Reaction score
I had an idiot the other week start wading up the middle of the pool I was fishing down, he got a frigging mouth full🤬🤬🤬, there's some decent lad's on the upper river fish for the trout /grayling but some of these idiots are out targeting salmon and just using trout/grayling fishing as a cover
We get that all the time on the Don. Trout fishers wading chest deep through the salmon lies, 'chucking' a few heavily waited flies a rods length out. It's nae fly fishing in any way, shape or form but wrecks the river for everyone else bar them.

As you may have guessed it boil my pee (y)