River Tweed 2020

Lamson v10

Reaction score
We’ve finished the week with six (2 today) at Juniper Bank, I’ll post images when our party has sobered up enough to send them to me........

Well done Elibank ? look forward to it ??. I'm off out in the morning for another go so hopefully get a wee bend in the rod ?, I was hoping the new line would be here in time for tomorrow, sadly not to be , I'll just have to nip away from work early next week to try it ?

salmo76

Reaction score
The fish would need to be 45" long, going by the Tweed weight/length chart, to make 16kg. So there has been a simple, honest mistake with the weighing?
(remembering that a lot of the fish used to compile the chart would have been in better condition than the one in the picture).
Again, if I am missing something, tell me where I am going wrong.
When CharlieH was doing his guess the weight thread I found the Tweed / weight length chart was the most accurate, if you could get a close estimate of length , so much so that I would now use it for any fish I wanted to know a fairly accurate weight of without having to stress a fish out by actually going through the process of weighing.

Elibank

Reaction score
This is the last fish of the week, caught by Tim Stobart.
B9E8B11C-44B6-42AD-B7E4-E3A8614D5F1F.jpeg

D

Dunbar

Leaf soup today and slowly rising river - very difficult. Stuck with a small conehead and single hook and lost a fish and pulled another. Just goes to show if you can get the fly under the leaves it’s still worth it. Frustrating though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Leaf soup today and slowly rising river - very difficult. Stuck with a small conehead and single hook and lost a fish and pulled another. Just goes to show if you can get the fly under the leaves it’s still worth it. Frustrating though.

Frustratings no the word Dunbar it was absolutely horrific and pretty dangerous with the wind at time's when casting, I think I lost count at 365.421 leaves, although I did manage one around 7lb before the river went totally out of commission ??

D

Dunbar

Frustratings no the word Dunbar it was absolutely horrific and pretty dangerous with the wind at time's when casting, I think I lost count at 365.421 leaves, although I did manage one around 7lb before the river went totally out of commission

Well done Lamson, a hard won fish in those conditions is always satisfying I didn’t get down until about 11 and by that time the wind had completely eased off! Leaves do generate a special kind of rage in me.

Elibank

Reaction score
We headed South yesterday as our cottage needed to be CV cleaned prior to the next occupants arriving, but as we fought our way over Teviothead in a torrential gale, it did occur to me that we had dodged a bullet......

Tight lines on the river, one and all, we’ll be back next year.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
View attachment 51565
Winkled this one out of the leaf soup yesterday ?

I was the one holding that fish and know the weight, as we weighed it. Now, as we all know pictures can be deceptive, so would anyone like to guess the weight, just for a bit of fun?
No cheating by looking on the Upper Caberstone daily reports please.

D

Dunbar

It could be very deceptive, I’m usually one for under rather than overestimating but I’m going to stick my neck out and say 18? Looks quite deep.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I was the one holding that fish and know the weight, as we weighed it. Now, as we all know pictures can be deceptive, so would anyone like to guess the weight, just for a bit of fun?
No cheating by looking on the Upper Caberstone daily reports please.

Well done to everyone, as most were fairly close, but Kenny007 was closest, being only 0.5lbs out. The fish weighed 16.5lbs

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Fish.jpg

An interesting picture collage posted by Martin Ritchie/Tay Salmon Fly on the Facepuke Tweed River Report.
Photo 1, a 24lber landed at Lower Birgham (I am assuming it was weighed.)
Photo 2 , a 35lber landed at Upper Caberston (Weighed)
Photo 3, a 25lber landed at Dryburgh Upper (Weighed)

For me, Photo 3 looks way, way bigger than the other 2 (if the captor is the same Simon Cassidy who is a member on here, Well Done Sir)

On Saturday, myself and Horsburgh, whilst on the beat decided to go a bit CSI and got the tape measure out and some kettle bells.

This was not to undermine either the Steve the Ghillie or the captor of the fish, It was a level headed attempt to try and estimate the length of the fish going from the photo supplied by the captor. I have said in post #330, going from the photo, the fish does not look 16kgs/35lbs. At no point have I quoted the fish at 44" (FishPal have). Also bearing in mind, neither I or Horsburgh were present when the fish was landed.

The stated frame size of the McLean 50lbs Weigh Net is 33" x 27". We measured 33" from the outside edge of the frame, inline with the sliding handle, and the 33" mark is where the frame begins to bend before going into the black fixing block. We agreed, where the nose of the fish is.

We deliberated on where the end of the of the tail would be and also made an allowance as the fish is on a slight angle and not sitting straight with the net handle.

We both agreed, going from the photo, on an estimated straight line length of around 39" - 40". Again we weren't there.

All of the above, like it or not, is irrelevant given the fish was weighed at 16kg or 35lbs.

So, was there a mistake made when weighing the fish? Was the weight 16lbs and not 16kg?

Steve the Ghillie has over 35 years of fishing experience on the Upper Tweed and around 17 years as ghillie at Upper Caberston. 6 Years with Michael Evans and 11 years for me and during that time has landed a great number of fish. I am in no doubt that he knows the difference between a 16lber and a 35lber. The ghillie has absolutely nothing to gain from giving false weights.

The captor who I have not personally met, (normally I would make a twice weekly visit, from Tyneside to the beat when we are fishing, to meet the anglers. Given the pandemic, I am not doing so this season.)

Going from my email correspondence with the captor (Horsburgh has witnessed this) he is an experienced angler who regularly fishes on the Sunderland Hall beat and has experience of landing 3 fish at 19.5lbs, but had yet to break through the 20lb mark. I am assuming that as his fish are quoted at 19.5lbs, they were weighed. So again he would know if the fish was 16lbs and not 16kgs.

So, is the weigh net faulty?

We checked this using 3 of my daughters kettle bell weights, a 3kg bell, a 5kg Bell and a 8kg bell. On each occasion the weigh net was bang on the money, including when adding all 3 weights, the scale showed bang on 16kg. (Horsburgh has taken photos)

Unfortunately the photo from the captor is an example of how not to photograph a fish, with the tail incomplete and being unable to judge the depth of the fish because of the angle it was taken.

Therefore, I have to, and I am going with the word of the Ghillie and the Captor that the fish weighed 16kg/35lbs.

simoncassidy

Reaction score
I was indeed the captor of No.3 a fine fish. I was slightly disappointed as you can probably hear in the video,that it didn't beat my PB to date of 25lb.I have been lucky enough to have caught a few fish around the 20lb mark and this guy looked way bigger than most of them. My first impression on seeing the fish in the net was I got a 30. Brian weighted it with a McLeans and all my fish over the years have been weighted with the same. If it said 25lb its 25lb. Its a PB for me on the Tweed, and so the search continues for that elusive 30lber.
Enjoy the video.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
I was indeed the captor of No.3 a fine fish. I was slightly disappointed as you can probably hear in the video,that it didn't beat my PB to date of 25lb.I have been lucky enough to have caught a few fish around the 20lb mark and this guy looked way bigger than most of them. My first impression on seeing the fish in the net was I got a 30. Brian weighted it with a McLeans and all my fish over the years have been weighted with the same. If it said 25lb its 25lb. Its a PB for me on the Tweed, and so the search continues for that elusive 30lber.
Enjoy the video.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

What a fish ! Some good footage as well. I am sure it would have been significantly heavier when fresh.