River Tweed 2020

Oscar

Reaction score
Irrespective of curvature, I simply can't conceive that the fish is anywhere near 44". Sorry, but I think you're clutching at straws a little.

Still, a great fish to see, but not 44" for me.

Oscar.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Irrespective of curvature, I simply can't conceive that the fish is anywhere near 44". Sorry, but I think you're clutching at straws a little.

Still, a great fish to see, but not 44" for me.

Oscar.

I have no need to clutch at straws and I agree, a great fish.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Ah well, your response makes no more sense here than on Facebook. Any time you say the river is high, I shall have a look at the SEPA gauge.

C

cgaines10

What did it weigh? I only seen that they measured it and I couldn’t understand why they didn’t just use the built in weigh scales after it mentioned them?

Cracking fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Does it matter? Certainly not to me it doesn't. I never measure or weigh my fish unless I have kept one and am working out the weight of ingredients to cure it. Never understood the arguments about size and weight of fish!

It doesn't matter to me either, at the end of the day, a fish is a fish, I would rather 10 anglers each caught a fish of 3.5lbs than one at 35lbs.

I have no intention of taking anything away from the captor, a fish of a lifetime that was weighed and witnessed. Obviously for some, that is not enough.

Neither me or the beat has any affiliation with Fishpal. I do have a voicemail from Anne from Sales and Marketing of Fishpal, saying that she wants to enter the fish for the Bemersyde Trophy and the Malloch Trophy and was after some details.?‍♂️

I passed on Anne's details to the captor who informed me that Anne had already been in contact and was dealing with both trophies on his behalf.
The trophies are awarded to the captor, not the beat.

Why Fishpal are using the estimated length and not the witnessed weight is something only they can answer.

Comments saying the fish is this and the length of x is that, are completely irrelevant, more so when aimed directly at me.

The only thing relevant to me is what the captor and ghillie have stated.

Those who think they are more relevant than the captor and ghillie are probably the same kind of people who think being rich in Monopoly is relevant.

Like I've said as a beat, it is of more value to catch 10 3.5lbers than a 35lber.

Rennie

Reaction score
Just maybe, Fishpal are after any positives that can keep their pricing structure bouyant, more brass for them and the beat owners.Good publicity and all that!- maybe!
Pedro.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me either, at the end of the day, a fish is a fish, I would rather 10 anglers each caught a fish of 3.5lbs than one at 35lbs.

I have no intention of taking anything away from the captor, a fish of a lifetime that was weighed and witnessed. Obviously for some, that is not enough.

Neither me or the beat has any affiliation with Fishpal. I do have a voicemail from Anne from Sales and Marketing of Fishpal, saying that she wants to enter the fish for the Bemersyde Trophy and the Malloch Trophy and was after some details.?‍♂️

I passed on Anne's details to the captor who informed me that Anne had already been in contact and was dealing with both trophies on his behalf.

Why Fishpal are using the estimated length and not the witnessed weight is something only they can answer.

Comments saying the fish is this and the length of x is that, are completely irrelevant, more so when aimed directly at me.

Those who think they are more relevant than the captor and ghillie are probably the same kind of people who think being rich in Monopoly is relevant.

Like I've said as a beat, it is of more value to catch 10 3.5lbers than a 35lber.

Assuming the picture is of the correct fish, then I do not think you will disagree that the fish is 38-39" long (middle of v in the tail to snout in a straight line). using the known landing net dimensions for scale. That takes care of the estimated length /curvature variables.
Here is what the Tweed boffins say regarding length/weight for fish-
This must give a good, close approximation to the weight of the fish?

marty31

Reaction score

Thats a fair comment in my book! I decided a time ago to keep off threads estimating and debating weights! I have myself been victim of trolls belittling fish sizes and using every method and excuse to prove they are false, when all along i am the sort of person that would rather put a fish in thebook half a pound lighter than half a pound heavier, i have also been victim of the same trolls doing their up most best to discredit and belittle our fishing! With the sole aim to try and make it and us a laughing stock even to the degree of accessing old catch returns then trying to extract the urine, so my sympathy is given in your situation ?

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Thats a fair comment in my book! I decided a time ago to keep off threads estimating and debating weights! I have myself been victim of trolls belittling fish sizes and using every method and excuse to prove they are false, when all along i am the sort of person that would rather put a fish in thebook half a pound lighter than half a pound heavier, i have also been victim of the same trolls doing their up most best to discredit and belittle our fishing! With the sole aim to try and make it and us a laughing stock even to the degree of accessing old catch returns then trying to extract the urine, so my sympathy is given in your situation ?

I read through all that rubbish directed at you Marty and it was unbelievable that grown adults choose to spout such bile.

These trolls have zero effect on me. The current numpty can’t comprehend the fish was weighed.

We’ll see how the ignore function works on here.

One thing is for sure Marty, we’ll still be standing doing what we do on this great river.

All hail the Tweed ????

Oscar

Reaction score
I read through all that rubbish directed at you Marty and it was unbelievable that grown adults choose to spout such bile.

These trolls have zero effect on me. The current numpty can’t comprehend the fish was weighed.

We’ll see how the ignore function works on here.

One thing is for sure Marty, we’ll still be standing doing what we do on this great river.

All hail the Tweed ????

Salad Dodger,

Totally agree in principle, but please don't accuse me of being a 'troll' or a 'numpty' just because I dared question something - in my mind and others' - entirely legitimately.

I am no such thing, and frankly, I don't care how big this wonderful fish was; but it clearly casts doubt on anything said on Fishpal or elsewhere when something so blatantly questionable isn't even acknowledged as such.

Oscar.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Salad Dodger,

Totally agree in principle, but please don't accuse me of being a 'troll' or a 'numpty' just because I dared question something - in my mind and others' - entirely legitimately.

I am no such thing, and frankly, I don't care how big this wonderful fish was; but it clearly casts doubt on anything said on Fishpal or elsewhere when something so blatantly questionable isn't even acknowledged as such.

Oscar.

I suspect I am the "numpty" and "keyboard commando". I suspect it is easier to call someone names than address the issue at hand. Oh....I forgot. My fat finger spelling got pulled up too. I have made a point of being polite too.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Salad Dodger,

Oscar.

Oscar please read post #330 on this thread.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Apologies, I hadn't seen that.

Something's still not quite right for me, but I wasn't there so I'l shut my trap!

Oscar.

Oscar, you don’t need nor do I want you to shut your trap, you have obviously missed some of the thread.

Like I’ve said previously photos and estimated lengths can be misleading.

The fish was weighed and witnessed and I have to go with that. If others disagree well I’m afraid that is their problem.

All good here ✌?

Elibank

Reaction score
On opening the window shutters on our hut this morning, we found a pipistrelle bat snoring away....
21962CD0-2448-46CB-B2B7-E00E40B1E223.jpeg

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Sorry, I do not usually call out photos and fish sizes, as photos can be deceptive some times. I have to agree it does not look 44 inches in the photo. Forget the net. Unless he has the biggest hands in the world it does not look 44 inches when just compared to the head, which does not bend. I suggest someone has just made a simple honest mistake with the measurements, that saves everyone's blushes. Nice big kipper though.

D

Dunbar

Thanks Dunbar,
If memory serves, you fish upstream of us, how did you and your rods find things yesterday (Monday)? Our rods are saying that this is the best run for years, I personally saw over 50 fish running through Juniper Bank. Fewer seen today but that’s the game really!

Hi Elibank, I think it was a blank that day, Cardrona is not heavily fished, usually about 2 rods/day just now so that’s our excuse! I’ve seen lots of fish this October, mostly well coloured and generally on the move. There have been some very large fish spotted. I wished I’d spent more time fishing in July/Aug as fish were up then and pretty fresh too. Always next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Sorry, I do not usually call out photos and fish sizes, as photos can be deceptive some times. I have to agree it does not look 44 inches in the photo. Forget the net. Unless he has the biggest hands in the world it does not look 44 inches when just compared to the head, which does not bend. I suggest someone has just made a simple honest mistake with the measurements, that saves everyone's blushes. Nice big kipper though.

The fish would need to be 45" long, going by the Tweed weight/length chart, to make 16kg. So there has been a simple, honest mistake with the weighing?
(remembering that a lot of the fish used to compile the chart would have been in better condition than the one in the picture).
Again, if I am missing something, tell me where I am going wrong.