River Tweed 2020

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
I was on the upper river yesterday and it an absolute pleasure to see so many fish splashing about and going off all the catches reported, a good few anglers enjoyed it as well.
Be interested to know if the catches posted at Ladykirk and Tillmouth were new fish or older ones hanging back.
Any inside information Marty31🧐

Handel

Reaction score
Salad Dodger - you mention two beats that aren't fishing in November. I believe there are others.

I agree with Keirstream, Loxie and others, don't make statutory changes, you get stuck with them as experience in England and Wales shows.

marty31

Reaction score
I was on the upper river yesterday and it an absolute pleasure to see so many fish splashing about and going off all the catches reported, a good few anglers enjoyed it as well.
Be interested to know if the catches posted at Ladykirk and Tillmouth were new fish or older ones hanging back.
We haven't fished for a couple of weeks we had one rod lose a fresh fish at the net but other than that the time of the season and water hights dictate that we are about finished for this season but i was talking to a ex tillmouth gillie yesterday and he was saying that all the catches in lower river were being reported as old fish but incredible really that these beats are still catching in these water hights there is obviously just a lot of fish already in the river, nice to hear the upper river is fishing well, lets hope next season is the same and in general the river is on the up!🎏

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Salad Dodger - you mention two beats that aren't fishing in November. I believe there are others.

I agree with Keirstream, Loxie and others, don't make statutory changes, you get stuck with them as experience in England and Wales shows.
Thanks Handel,
Do you know if they are Lower,Middle or Upper beats?
Is it because of spawning or the lack of fish in previous seasons?

marty31

Reaction score
Thanks Handel,
Do you know if they are Lower,Middle or Upper beats?
Is it because of spawning or the lack of fish in previous seasons?
Upper drybrough and i think you@ upper cabbiston (if you are this year) are the only ones i have heard about! UD recons the reson was everdnce of early spawning! But who knows they might well have no rods let! We down here W&D could well say that when in reality November has never been any good at the top of the tide

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I was also on the upper river yesterday, cracking day to be out in the autumnal glory of the upper river 😎... plenty of fish running and showing 😎 which is always great to see and even managed to bank a few 🎣

lefthandup

Reaction score
I don't think we should ever consider changing anything statutory: seasons methods cr etc.

I'm personally not that keen on fishing for stale fish but I'd probably rather that than not fishing. The thing is you can catch stale fish anytime for instance:

Anyone want to guess the date? Or:

View attachment 51261
July fish maybe!
There are many on my club water would consider that fit for the table.

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I was also on the upper river yesterday, cracking day to be out in the autumnal glory of the upper river 😎... plenty of fish running and showing 😎 which is always great to see and even managed to bank a few 🎣
It was good to catch up with you and your father yesterday Arnold. It was also so nice to see fish being caught below Manor Bridge in a fair and legal manner. Quite a contrast to a few years ago. Good to see your old man has not lost his touch too. You both did very well, better in fact, than most fishing some “prime beats” yesterday.

Tight lines
Kenny

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I don't think we should ever consider changing anything statutory: seasons methods cr etc.

I'm personally not that keen on fishing for stale fish but I'd probably rather that than not fishing. The thing is you can catch stale fish anytime for instance:

View attachment 51261
That’s a hard one to call. Potentially it could have been caught in any month of the year. However, given the loss of scales and scars on the belly, it could be a rawner caught in the early spring and regaining its silver colour in preparation for returning to sea.

mows

Reaction score

View attachment 51261
Would have been handy to see the gills.
My guess is March and possible rawner.
I had a fish very similar to that on opening day on the Northie a few years back.
I'm sure a few would have had it as a springer, but the gills had maggots and more grey than red.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score

View attachment 51261
An early running fish caught in May from a northern river.

glenclova

Reaction score

View attachment 51261
Is it a winter run fish (which ran in November/December) and was caught late February/early March?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
It was good to catch up with you and your father yesterday Arnold. It was also so nice to see fish being caught below Manor Bridge in a fair and legal manner. Quite a contrast to a few years ago. Good to see your old man has not lost his touch too. You both did very well, better in fact, than most fishing some “prime beats” yesterday.

Tight lines
Kenny
Yeh it was good to get a blether with you yesterday kenny 👍🏻 thankfully what went on is a thing of the past and it's a good bunch a lad's now fishing the water 🎣
Yeh he's not lost his touch that's for sure 😁 he managed another decent one just as you left the bridge 🎣 but was pretty knackered after that, longest he's fished in a long while, the day ended up 4 - 3 to the old man 👍🏻
Let me know how you get on with the fly's 👍🏻

Regards Arnold

Elibank

Reaction score
Nice pic there Elibank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dunbar,
If memory serves, you fish upstream of us, how did you and your rods find things yesterday (Monday)? Our rods are saying that this is the best run for years, I personally saw over 50 fish running through Juniper Bank. Fewer seen today but that’s the game really!

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
On the Fishpal Facebook page, the top pictured fish was measured at 44" by the ghillie. In the link below are the dimensions of the same weigh net. I cannot see how the fish can be anywhere near 44" long. What am I failing to see?

Oscar

Reaction score
On the Fishpal Facebook page, the top pictured fish was measured at 44" by the ghillie. In the link below are the dimensions of the same weigh net. I cannot see how the fish can be anywhere near 44" long. What am I failing to see?
Indeed - a maximum net opening of 33" makes that fish around 36/37" and nowhere near 44".

Great fish, but why would they need to over-exaggerate to such an extent?

Oscar.