River Tweed 2020

Chicharito

Reaction score
Here we go 2020!
Good Luck to all the Tweed fishers for 2020.
Expecting a few changes to regulations this season.
Not seen anything in writing yet but fairly sure there will be.
I am hoping that the River Till will be unaffected by any changes to spinning and worming as this could ruin the fishing.
We will see!
Anyone aware of any changes for the coming season?

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Tightlines for the coming season sir and to all who wet a line in it this season ?. I'm looking forward to this season on the tweed and fishing a few new beats :thumb: I've not heard of any changes as of yet but will put my ears to the ground :thumb:

marty31

Reaction score
Here we go 2020!
Good Luck to all the Tweed fishers for 2020.
Expecting a few changes to regulations this season.
Not seen anything in writing yet but fairly sure there will be.
I am hoping that the River Till will be unaffected by any changes to spinning and worming as this could ruin the fishing.
We will see!
Anyone aware of any changes for the coming season?
what changes are you expecting paul? and if theirs any? the river till most definitely will be affected! as a major tributary and under the same jurisdiction as the rest of the river and under the control of the RTC

Chicharito

Reaction score
what changes are you expecting paul? and if theirs any? the river till most definitely will be affected! as a major tributary and under the same jurisdiction as the rest of the river and under the control of the RTC

Hi Marty, I was expecting that spinning wouldn't be permitted until June (?) on the Tweed according to the rumours last season.
Regarding the Till, it would pretty much ruin the fishing if worm and spinner were to be banned until June as the best part of the sea trout season is pretty much over by then. You know the Till even better than me and there are many stretches which aren't suited to the fly.
Cheers, Paul.

marty31

Reaction score
Hi Marty, I was expecting that spinning wouldn't be permitted until June (?) on the Tweed according to the rumours last season.
Regarding the Till, it would pretty much ruin the fishing if worm and spinner were to be banned until June as the best part of the sea trout season is pretty much over by then. You know the Till even better than me and there are many stretches which aren't suited to the fly.
Cheers, Paul.
they are not best suited to the fly paul very like the early fishings on our tidal water, that's exactly the point I have trying to point out to the RTC and when it boils down to it theres really only one main protester who wants the suspension, that man is the proprietor of one of the best champagne fly water beats the tweed has to offer, wanting to trade the early spinning for the suspension of the only remaining netting station, that only nets a small handful of fish anyway, unviability will stop it netting! without the need to spoil the whole lower river from above kelso to the sea, this suspension couldn't be enforced this season anyway, its too late! a lot (including ours) is mostly let, with every member asking about the spinning, then when reassured stated if the ban had been enforced they wouldn't have booked, so rest assured that's not happening, but if or when it is, the till will certainly follow the same conditions

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I can assure everyone, that there is categorically no intention or desire from the RTC to outlaw spinning.

The rumour started when the RTC was attempting to get the Gardo netting station to comply with the Tweed conservation regulations for spring salmon. There has been no killing of fish allowed on the Tweed up to the end of June for many years now. Gardo has been exploiting a loop hole in the Scottish Government legislation which protects spring fish up to the end of April. They are the only netting station killing spring salmon in the U.K.

Contrary to the rumours, there was no proposed trade off between the RTC and the Scottish Government, which would have banned spinning in exchange for legislation banning Gardo killing spring stock. In actual fact, it was the Scottish Government that wanted to ban spinning, as they were incorrectly, under the impression that spinning was more likely to lead to fish dying. The RTC has been totally opposed to any ban. To help combat this, there was a questionnaire sent to all proprietors on the river, asking for their views on spinning. I understand there were only actually two who wanted it outlawed and just to reassure Marty, his favourite ex Chief Commissioner, who has always been very outspoken about his dislike of spinning, specifically, upstream spinning with flying C’s in low water, was not one of them.

Tight lines to all fishing the Tweed in 2020, whether spinning or fly fishing.

marty31

Reaction score
I can assure everyone, that there is categorically no intention or desire from the RTC to outlaw spinning.

The rumour started when the RTC was attempting to get the Gardo netting station to comply with the Tweed conservation regulations for spring salmon. There has been no killing of fish allowed on the Tweed up to the end of June for many years now. Gardo has been exploiting a loop hole in the Scottish Government legislation which protects spring fish up to the end of April. They are the only netting station killing spring salmon in the U.K.

Contrary to the rumours, there was no proposed trade off between the RTC and the Scottish Government, which would have banned spinning in exchange for legislation banning Gardo killing spring stock. In actual fact, it was the Scottish Government that wanted to ban spinning, as they were incorrectly, under the impression that spinning was more likely to lead to fish dying. The RTC has been totally opposed to any ban. To help combat this, there was a questionnaire sent to all proprietors on the river, asking for their views on spinning. I understand there were only actually two who wanted it outlawed and just to reassure Marty, his favourite ex Chief Commissioner, who has always been very outspoken about his dislike of spinning, specifically, upstream spinning with flying C’s in low water, was not one of them.

Tight lines to all fishing the Tweed in 2020, whether spinning or fly fishing.
this is very assuring to hear, however as a proprietor that's pretty much what information I have been given direct from the RTC, I personally find it very hard to believe how the main long time objector, who has made no bones in stating his life long ambition is a complete spinning ban, would then fill the questionnaire in, in favour of keeping it! however if you name the two beats that voted against it, it would seem more believable. after my recent correspondence with RTC regarding a need to know update regarding our existing and new syndicate members, renewals I wasn't told the result of the questionnaire, but told there were no changes for 2020, I also aired my views, regarding my views that the subject was now well and truly exhausted, and there were far more important conservation issues than the annual reincarnation of one mans hatred of spinning, I cannot help wonder that if marine Scotland are worrying about fish mortality regarding spinning why is the tweed singled out! why as example is the spey, tay , dee, etc the list could go on and on! why are they not included? marine Scotland police these rivers to, is spinning more likely to damage salmon on the tweed than the other rivers I have listed? I welcome any thoughts on my question!

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I am not at liberty to name the specific beats but I understand they are both single bank beats who have issues with the beats on the opposite bank spinning. As everyone knows, it is a subject that can easily cause issues, especially when etiquette is not followed. There again, fly fishers not showing consideration to rods opposite are also perfectly capable of causing problems too.

I know you think that a certain proprietor is determined to get spinning banned but I have to say, having listened to him speak on the subject on several occasions, he has never once said he wanted to see spinning banned outright, his only issue was with people spinning in low water and especially when it involved upstream flying C’s and specifically when the water was being fished by fly on the opposite bank. Even if any one Commissioner actually did want to ban spinning outright, he or she would have a hard job, as there are another 80 RTC Commissioners, all with a vote.
The RTC is fully aware that not all of the Tweed is prime fly water and that spinning is the only worthwhile method in certain conditions and on many pools and dubs.

marty31

Reaction score
I am not at liberty to name the specific beats but I understand they are both single bank beats who have issues with the beats on the opposite bank spinning. As everyone knows, it is a subject that can easily cause issues, especially when etiquette is not followed. There again, fly fishers not showing consideration to rods opposite are also perfectly capable of causing problems too.

I know you think that a certain proprietor is determined to get spinning banned but I have to say, having listened to him speak on the subject on several occasions, he has never once said he wanted to see spinning banned outright, his only issue was with people spinning in low water and especially when it involved upstream flying C’s and specifically when the water was being fished by fly on the opposite bank. Even if any one Commissioner actually did want to ban spinning outright, he or she would have a hard job, as there are another 80 RTC Commissioners, all with a vote.
The RTC is fully aware that not all of the Tweed is prime fly water and that spinning is the only worthwhile method in certain conditions and on many pools and dubs.
again very reassuring to hear! if the ex chief commissioner, is as you said speaking up in favour against a ban then why does he speak very much against the method and his lifelong ambition to get it banned on a almost weekly basis in his infamous editorial? all this is doing the river no good whatsoever! it keeps popping its ugly head up under a different guise every year, ok for him, with his man made dam, and the glorious fly water below, its time the subject is put on the back burner for the foreseeable future, there are far more important conservation issues relating to the tweed than this, all in all we fly fish most of the time, and as a result probably 85%of our return are fly caught, but we in high water have no choice (other than go home, or not go) is to spin, anymore method restrictions are basically are not wanted, and there are far more important issues to address, but don't get me started on them, maybe we on bottom river need represented at these meetings, when vested interests seem popular agenda issues, we pay full main river levies not the non main stream subsidised levy like some, so basicly deserve a fair crack of the whip, our tidal water is a far cry from the champagne perfection fly water the middle and upper river has to offer

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
I agree entirely Marty. We don’t need any extra restrictions on methods. As you say there are far more important issues.

The RTC is meant to represent all interests on the river. There are 81 commissioners with a slight majority of representatives commissioners appointed by angling clubs and others who represent Scottish Borders and Northumbria councils. The rest are proprietors. I am quite sure if you were interested, you could get involved, especially if there is no one representing the very bottom beats. You should come along to the AGM which is open to all.

marty31

Reaction score
I agree entirely Marty. We don’t need any extra restrictions on methods. As you say there are far more important issues.

The RTC is meant to represent all interests on the river. There are 81 commissioners with a slight majority of representatives commissioners appointed by angling clubs and others who represent Scottish Borders and Northumbria councils. The rest are proprietors. I am quite sure if you were interested, you could get involved, especially if there is no one representing the very bottom beats. You should come along to the AGM which is open to all.
unfortunately, time is valuable, kelso is 50miles from my home, and anything through the day is major hassle, and to rush up at night is a no no, but retirement is looming, and you might regret the invite, now the smolt mortality is traced to the middle and upper river, one would think solving this problem would be a far more important issue than the obsession with more and more method restrictions, every one of our potential and existing rods all asked about the ban and all said they wouldn't join-renew if it had taken place, leaving me to contact the RTC for a update, would you not think we should not have been notified about this considering this time of year is the main re booking period and the money we pay into the system, I have learnt more on here from you than continuous emails to the RTC regarding the situation, you would just about think nobody at the RTC was bothered in any way if anybody at all re books any fishing, or if they do they certainly don't make it easy for them

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
unfortunately, time is valuable, kelso is 50miles from my home, and anything through the day is major hassle, and to rush up at night is a no no, but retirement is looming, and you might regret the invite, now the smolt mortality is traced to the middle and upper river, one would think solving this problem would be a far more important issue than the obsession with more and more method restrictions, every one of our potential and existing rods all asked about the ban and all said they wouldn't join-renew if it had taken place, leaving me to contact the RTC for a update, would you not think we should not have been notified about this considering this time of year is the main re booking period and the money we pay into the system, I have learnt more on here from you than continuous emails to the RTC regarding the situation, you would just about think nobody at the RTC was bothered in any way if anybody at all re books any fishing, or if they do they certainly don't make it easy for them

I will pass on your concerns Marty.
Unfortunately, the no spinning thing seems to have spread as a rumour, after Marine Scotland proposed it as an additional form of Spring Salmon Conservation. Given that the RTC were totally opposed to any ban, it was never going any further. Unfortunately, that fact has not been communicated as well as the rumour about a spinning ban.

marty31

Reaction score
I will pass on your concerns Marty.
Unfortunately, the no spinning thing seems to have spread as a rumour, after Marine Scotland proposed it as an additional form of Spring Salmon Conservation. Given that the RTC were totally opposed to any ban, it was never going any further. Unfortunately, that fact has not been communicated as well as the rumour about a spinning ban.
lets hope that's the end of it for a very long time! unlike the SNP with their almost monthly new reason for another referendum, in the mean time thank you for your kind help and information regarding the RTC and hope we both have a better season, regards marty

Lamson v10

Reaction score
A big and still rising water on the upper tweed this morning, hopefully the horse's got to safety

Screenshot_20200209-082256.png

Rennie

Reaction score
Need a laugh?, me n pals are supposed to be on there this coming week for 3 days!, 12ft 6 above where we are fishing this morning, albeit falling.Might get weds aft. with the Tobies if we get lucky.Failing that Greggs Pie scoffing contest, Doms. in the hut and over indulging on alcohol look to be the favourites untill then!.
Pedro.

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
big water again! 1 inch below our hut last week, don't think we are that lucky this week! looks like next Saturdays job will be mopping up the stinking mud and silt that the flood has left, oh well it keeps us busy as fishing is defo out for weeks at least

Chicharito

Reaction score
big water again! 1 inch below our hut last week, don't think we are that lucky this week! looks like next Saturdays job will be mopping up the stinking mud and silt that the flood has left, oh well it keeps us busy as fishing is defo out for weeks at least

I was thinking about you today when I saw the river levels.
Hope it's not too bad!
I would think that Tweedhill and Horncliffe may be in the same predicament too, and quite a few more probably.
All the best,
Paul.

Rennie

Reaction score
Had the 1st three days of this week on Upper Floors with my pals, was standing in as 1st reserve as Morphfly couldn't make it.
When I landed Kelso side on Sunday afternoon, Tweed were a reet big river, in fact huge!. You could barely see the cauld at the top of junction!.
Monday saw us stocked up with goodies from the bakery and stood bankside in forlorn hope of actually fishing.The safety limit of 4ft for allowing anglers on the river was well exceeded so no fishing for us.Lots of chatting, bun scoffing and we all at least made a spinning rod up in preparation.
Tuesday was getting promising, we got the green light from Colin and got to launch a Toby or so into the river.In all honesty it was still too big and coloured with only two spots on the beat worth the bother.That cost me £18 in Tobies n a devon!, sulked for the rest of the day.
Weds. was the day, more rain on the way would finish the river for the week and probably the next too, colour was ok-ish, I put up the flee rod as my spinning kit was in all honesty too heavy for such a shallow beat and I'm too tight to buy Raps. and Vision 110's(that would cost me!, in more ways than one!).
Afternoon me and Creighton had the Slates and the boat and it was starting to look good!.
Creighton took the boat 1st and I spun the lower part of the pool again, after glueing more Tobies to the river bed, I took the flee rod up top with intention of a dangle while I waited for my turn in the boat.Creighton was subjecting the Tweed to a Rap Attack- at which he is very good.
Any road, his rod went up in the air and started bouncing about, thought another Brownie!, but after a second or so, thought he'd connected with the only Kelt in the river!. But no!, it was 100% the genuine article, a Spring fish of 7lb ish and a reet pearler!.
My turn in the boat and Colin roped me out into the Slates and with a Copper n Orange Temply Doggy thingy on a Inty/sink1 and a brown poly. it was all fishing very very nicely and I could see it going with a fish.
Well, it didn't-but as Colin shouted "one last cast Pete" a fish showed right at the side of the boat!. So I'd covered one at least and after the moment thinking, I concluded a similar Rap. Attack as Creightons just might have seen Salar having a chew!.
Any way, Creighton didn't do too bad at all, 2nd fish of the year for the beat and 1st fish off the river for 2 weeks.
If I go again so early, would be better pre pared with lighter spinners and a more suitable outfit.It cost me over £18 in Tobies, the front part of the spool of my fixed poodle reel dropped off into the river, might not be too lucky there in finding a re placement!
Any way, it was a good trip, Cobbles in Kelso is blooming great, excellent nose bag and their craft larger is bob on, as well as their own ales which are self brewed!. Most importantly, got to see my pals again which is an all too rare occurrence these days.
Pedro.

Last edited:
S

Sintrexorcised

Bun scoffing ? What is that ? Whisky scoffing should have been.

Rennie

Reaction score
We were fore- armed the first day, knew we wouldn't be fishing so- off to the bakery before we left to go to the beat.Last I heard one couldn't get pulled over by John Law for over imbibing of Tuna banjo's, Meat pies and nice fancy buns.Whisky on the other hand could've seen a night in the hut or the cells.Neither an inviting prospect!.
Great this dieting lark, 'innit!
Pedro.

Rennie

Reaction score
I'll say the one thing though, we didn't resort to a Wigan Kebab!.
I'll let most of you stew on that for a while!
Pedro.