River Tummel 2020

DDOCH1

Reaction score
We all know that booking salmon fishing in advance is a gamble anyway. I remember fishing the dam beats for 3 days in blistering heat and hardly any water in April one year - I might as well of been in lockdown.

glenelg100

Reaction score
We all know that booking salmon fishing in advance is a gamble anyway. I remember fishing the dam beats for 3 days in blistering heat and hardly any water in April one year - I might as well of been in lockdown.
You are correct, but you choose whether you give it a try or not. Lock down means you don’t have a choice due to the travel etc,

rs2ford

Reaction score
Mother nature I can deal with, but forced lockdown is a whole different way of losing your hard earned cash. Will take my chances booking closer to the time with what's available elsewhere.
Cheers Diarmid.

DDOCH1

Reaction score
Fair enough, though sometimes you have to take the punt. I would be surprised if there’s not the same situation as with every season that the day tickets for March, April & May disappear quickly. It is disappointing that they wouldn’t at least reschedule rods.

auldsalmon

Reaction score
Its fair enough if you lose a day to a big dirty spate, but to lose a day and your permit money due to a government lockdown, or be in level 3 or 4 and are limited to 5mls from home is a bit unfair, especially if its outwith your control ....I know fishers who broke the travel restrictions in May,June and drove up to 95mls and more to fish and not lose out ,be it a days fishing or their hard earned cash.food for thought when booking days next season.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
I think this is a bit cheeky
On there part 😲

glenelg100

Reaction score
Travel restrictions or not ,I've paid my money ,I'll be there , bookings are very slow this year, we are all in wee Nic's hands the noo.
I would book more days but not prepared to take the chance losing more money, if it was moved to another date or something, then ok but not just a straight loss through no fault of my own. I know it’s not the clubs fault there maybe restrictions

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
I would book more days but not prepared to take the chance losing more money, if it was moved to another date or something, then ok but not just a straight loss through no fault of my own. I know it’s not the clubs fault there maybe restrictions
Scotlands on lockdown now till the end of Feb , this 5 mile thing is a load of crap, I've more chance of catching something in my local supermarket going for the bread and milk,than wandering about a river bank 😢

lefthandup

Reaction score
Heading up to the Tummel tomorrow...
Anyone tell me why there are two East Haugh beats on Fishpal..and what the differences are ?🙄

innes

Reaction score
530 fish over the ladder and the fishing has been good at the dam with 100 caught. However the low temperatures have been holding the fish back and they have probably been stacking up. Numbers over the dam in passed years, roughly so don't pick me up on the odd few.
2007 1100
2008 1700
2009 1200
2010 1100

Food for thought. It's been great fishing at the dam but the numbers are scary. Certainly nothing for the TDSFB to be congratulating themselves on.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
530 fish over the ladder and the fishing has been good at the dam with 100 caught. However the low temperatures have been holding the fish back and they have probably been stacking up. Numbers over the dam in passed years, roughly so don't pick me up on the odd few.
2007 1100
2008 1700
2009 1200
2010 1100

Food for thought. It's been great fishing at the dam but the numbers are scary. Certainly nothing for the TDSFB to be congratulating themselves on.
Thanks for update. No, Tay numbers look poor. Place is full of run-of-river hydro as well as the high-head hydro from the 1950’s. Wondered if the effects of run-of-river are known ?

Last edited:

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
Stopped off at Pitlochry on Thursday. The light was all wrong for most of the fish ladder but could see ino 2 areas of 2 of the pots.

In one corner (all that you could see) of one pot, 2 nice salmon were circling around.

In the other part, you could see into the water on the far side of the bottom half and there were 6 or 7 salmon into double figures, some mint fresh.

If that was replicated in the pots that you couldn't see into, it would have been a lot of salmon !

One showed in the pool by the pub/restaurant above the footbridge - they nearly always do.

At that height, that pool looks like it could produce a fish from almost anywhere, very fishy water indeed.

AlanT

Reaction score
I was up the ladder last weekend and had my polarised glasses with me, I counted 14 fish in the tank below the viewing chamber and many more were dotted up and down the line. Never seen that many in the years I have visited up there.
Same, saw a few last sunday

budge

Reaction score
I was up the ladder last weekend and had my polarised glasses with me, I counted 14 fish in the tank below the viewing chamber and many more were dotted up and down the line. Never seen that many in the years I have visited up there.
Is the viewing chamber still closed ? My dad had to drag me away from there a couple of times as a kid. Wife does it now

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

AlanT

Reaction score
Is the viewing chamber still closed ? My dad had to drag me away from there a couple of times as a kid. Wife does it now

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
Yes still closed unfortunately

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Was up today say about 10 in the viewing chamber 1 was very big would have loved to have seen that closer through the window rather than looking down on it count is very low for this time of year

glenelg100

Reaction score
Do many people fish the bottom half of the lower Tummel, anytime I go to the lower Tummel I tend to go over the railway crossing and fish down that area I was just curious to know what the bottom end of the beat was like, monum pool etc,
thanks

Greegs

Reaction score
Do many people fish the bottom half of the lower Tummel, anytime I go to the lower Tummel I tend to go over the railway crossing and fish down that area I was just curious to know what the bottom end of the beat was like, monum pool etc,
thanks

I’ve fished it a couple of times at Moulinearn & there’s some good flee water down there.

Haven’t had any luck there when I have fished it but I really only go there if I can’t get in at the dam.

A lot more peaceful fishing down there & no tourists taking your photo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk