River Tummel 2020

innes

Reaction score
Count sitting at 61 today with very low water.

To give that figure some context, when I was salmon sec several years ago the counts were as follows.

2007: 350
2008: 310
2009: 300
2010: 360

Stuart1108

Reaction score
That's interesting is counter fully working again is each fish looked at on the screen to verify that it's a salmon also. Seen a post saying this years return is the stock from the year storm frank hit hope it's not done to much dammage

glenelg100

Reaction score
I was happy with my bookings this season, but one by one they are being cancelled, including lower Tummel too.:eek:hwell:

AlanT

Reaction score
193 through this morning, so a fair jump over the last few days.

Thanks for the updates Innes. Ive been watching salmon going up the ladder for nigh on 45yrs, my uncle was the statoinmaster at Blair Atholl many moons ago. As a kid I used to get the train down from BA to Pitlochry for free, the guards made sure I got off!. I still visit Pitlochry numerous times a year and spend hours at the dam usually pointing out salmon to tourists. I can honestly say its the only thing I am genuinely missing during lockdown!

Last edited:

glenelg100

Reaction score
The way things are going the majority of the fish will up the ladder and on there merry way before we get out fishing. But safety comes first.

AlanT

Reaction score
Heres a pic from last year. Meet your relatives!
Smolts going one way, adults going the other. . .
20200514_183045.jpg

AlanT

Reaction score
Presumably the footbridge below the dam at Pitlochry?
Other locals also report seeing up to a dozen resting fish below the bridge on daily walks.
Thought it might be there but never heard it called that before

Jbspring

Reaction score
Thats poor for this time of year ?! We are halfway through May and had good water temperatures.

JB

glenelg100

Reaction score
The pools below the dam will probably have a fair few fish in them, as much as I’m dying to get out fishing, it’s nice to see the rivers getting a wee rest, surely that can only be good.
If wee Nicola is good to us,I have a trip already booked shortly so fingers crossed.

Invermarnoch

Reaction score
T & S suggests that there were good well-conditioned fish caught in the loch in the early season. I am not surprised. There was a lot of rain in March and some of the fish would have had the chance to reach the loch very quickly. And without early season anglers, perhaps more of the kelts made it safely back to sea without being stressed. As I grow older, I become more and more convinced that we should leave the fish alone until this time of year at least. Controversial, I know, but that's how I feel.

jimthefish

Reaction score
453 at 10.05pm tonight so a good few motoring through. Beautiful night for a walk....and a cast if it was allowed ?

keirstream

Reaction score
Did you see any fish under the bridge tonight Jim?
Doooohhh! Not at 10 o'clock you wouldn't.:D