River tummel 2019

Timmins

Reaction score
Good day at dam

Hard going today on the dam but water dropped about a foot throughout the day and plenty fish seen moving Wind was brutal for the fly so managed to winkle out 2 spinning Hopefully with settled weather and water at a good height prospects for anybody out next week look promising. Good luck and tight lines. IMG_1599.PNGIMG_1598.PNG

Timmins

Reaction score
More silver the day

Lost a fish early on this morning at the dam on fly Pulled my loop , onto the reel , lifted and ............nothing Then landed a wee 7lber spinning about 10 o'clock afternoon was difficult as the wind picked up. Not so many fish seen today but and day spent fishing is a good day and a wee fish was a bonusIMG_1618.PNG

JJ

Reaction score
Hi
I fished the Pitlochry angling club water for the first time last season and loved it. Always felt like fish were in the beat and took some great bankside advice from club members who were extremely helpful.
I came away though feeling like I’d nowhere near fished deep enough and noticed a few fellow anglers using skagits and 15 ft t-11s and such like.
Given the warm spring and low water so far, should I bring a Skagit setup or am I being swayed unnecessarily - I’m there in about 10 days time.
What’s the current water temperature too, are we on to smaller dressed flys yet or is it big yellow and black tubes still?
Thanks for any advice you can give thanks
JJ

Last edited:

paddymc

Reaction score
Hi
I fished the Pitlochry angling club water for the first time last season and loved it. Always felt like fish were in the beat and took some great backside advice from club members who were extremely helpful.
I came away though feeling like I’d nowhere near fished deep enough and noticed a few fellow anglers using skagits and 15 ft t-11s and such like.
Given the warm spring and low water so far, should I bring a Skagit setup or am I being swayed unnecessarily - I’m there in about 10 days time.
What’s the current water temperature too, are we on to smaller dressed flys yet or is it big yellow and black tubes still?
JJ

Not sure I would be going back there again:shocked:

keirstream

Reaction score
Hi
I fished the Pitlochry angling club water for the first time last season and loved it. Always felt like fish were in the beat and took some great bankside advice from club members who were extremely helpful.
JJ

Unless you get decent water don't waste your time. The water is summer low and will only shrink further without a good top up. I'm just back from 3 days on East Haugh and fished all the way through the water column, down deep and dirty in Peg's Leg as well as up on a slow tip and doubles in the Home Stream and Cut. Between 6 rods we saw the grand total of 4 fish and just no interest. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack just now. The water temperature at 10 o'clock this morning was 46 F. so heading towards the cusp of climbing towards the surface layers but still worth getting down. I always found in any case that Tummel fish like a deeply presented fly at any time of the season, probably something to do with cold generation water although I've encountered some classic floating line sport in years gone by an balmy May evenings.
Not sure when the last fish was landed on East Haugh, probably 2 weeks ago, but a lad fishing today at West Haugh told me the last one there was 10 days ago. Fish just don't seem to be running, which can be seen by Tay catches.
Keep an eye on the water. Any lift is sure to bring fish.:thumb::thumb:

AlanT

Reaction score
Quite a number of salmon in the ladder tonight at Pitlochry. And great to see the boxes full of smolts going the other way. Cant get a good photo but quite remarkable

AlanT

Reaction score
Can you still get down to viewing chamber to see the fish :shocked::shocked:

No, unfortunately the viewing area and the whole area outside it are off limits now so viewing is only from above. A bit annoying Ive been going down to the dam for 45+ years, now its off limits dur to 'health and safety reasons'!

JJ

Reaction score
No, unfortunately the viewing area and the whole area outside it are off limits now so viewing is only from above. A bit annoying Ive been going down to the dam for 45+ years, now its off limits dur to 'health and safety reasons'!

I saw that
How ridiculous
A real pity

JJ

Reaction score
Fished Pitlochry and Port-na-Craig hard last Wednesday
Very low, painfully low
Cold drizzle
Nothing to the 6 of us
Loved it nonetheless and made to feel v welcome

bassfly

Reaction score
Fished Pitlochry and Port-na-Craig hard last Wednesday
Very low, painfully low
Cold drizzle
Nothing to the 6 of us
Loved it nonetheless and made to feel v welcome
Fished the Lower Tummel beat 6th/8th and friends fished the 9th/11th. 4 rods all week on a very low river and only saw 2 salmon running through the Rock pool. Lucky that we had trout rods and spent Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons fishing a nice hatch of olives. Trout rising to a dry providing much needed sport.

Mac78

Reaction score
May 17th Pitlochry bank start.

A bit last minute, but PAC have released a Pitlochry bank rod tomorrow.

innes

Reaction score
At this day in 2007 800 fish were through the counter.

In 2010 only 423 were through but by the 11th of June the count was 1620.

We are around 450 this season with weeks and weeks of low water. Early enough to panic!

neilt

Reaction score
At this day in 2007 800 fish were through the counter.

In 2010 only 423 were through but by the 11th of June the count was 1620.

We are around 450 this season with weeks and weeks of low water. Early enough to panic!

And last update I got, from about 8am 26/5 - 637.
More encouraging.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I have fished on the lower tummel ,but always stayed at the top area of the beat over the railway crossing.
Do any of you Tummel fishers head down to the bottom of this beat, monument pool etc, and is it worth giving it a try.
Thanks Ian

Woody123

Reaction score
I have fished on the lower tummel ,but always stayed at the top area of the beat over the railway crossing.
Do any of you Tummel fishers head down to the bottom of this beat, monument pool etc, and is it worth giving it a try.
Thanks Ian

The Monument pool is certainly worth fishing.

glenelg100

Reaction score
The Monument pool is certainly worth fishing.

One of the first times I went to the lower Tummel, I did go to the bottom of the beat, thinking I was on the monument pool, it turns out I wasn’t, I hadn’t gone far enough upstream, so I’m not sure what pool if any I was fishing.

Timmins

Reaction score
Thanks Ian
Pool at Ballinluig bridge is always worth a cast and if u cross over the bridge walk up past the monument pool the top island is a nice cast with the fly if the fish are running