River tummel 2019

SILVER-SALMON

Reaction score
My days on the tummel booked up looking forward it as always when on the river at spring time

Hopefully we get better springer fishing this season

Tight lines 2019
Dave

rs2ford

Reaction score
Yes me too. Got in early this time and booked Saturdays in March, April and May:thumb:.

Cheers Diarmid.

Last edited:

lightlines

Reaction score
best bits of Tummel?

i was on a Tummel beat near meeting of Tay and found it all to be terribly fast moving. the line hit the water and was downstream in seconds. an angled cast and it was dangling in seconds, a 90 degree cast seemed to give it a fighting chance of sinking , but even then was whooshing around the arc. i really didn't have a clue how to fish the water.

whilst this might be ok for grabbing a running fish, it seemed like a poor way to sink it quickly and drift round to annoy bottom lying fish in cold water as this time of year seems to produce. Does anyone have a view on how best to fish this type of shallow but fast beat, or if better to find one with deeper slower pools?

Rrrr

Reaction score
i was on a Tummel beat near meeting of Tay and found it all to be terribly fast moving. the line hit the water and was downstream in seconds. an angled cast and it was dangling in seconds, a 90 degree cast seemed to give it a fighting chance of sinking , but even then was whooshing around the arc. i really didn't have a clue how to fish the water.

whilst this might be ok for grabbing a running fish, it seemed like a poor way to sink it quickly and drift round to annoy bottom lying fish in cold water as this time of year seems to produce. Does anyone have a view on how best to fish this type of shallow but fast beat, or if better to find one with deeper slower pools?
A 30g flying c is the perfect solution to this issue :)

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Rennie

Reaction score
lightlines, in simple terms, that water sounds too fast by far!,I doubt fish will lay in that water this time of year as they'll have to expend to much energy to hold station!, your chances of intercepting a running fish in water of that speed won't be that high either
It's been a fair old while since I fished that bit of water and I fished it later on in the year, but if I recall The Monument pool is above where you actually fished,I'd have given that pool a good going over.I know early season fish do tend to pass through lower Tummel quite quickly and Monument is a good intercepting spot!.
Now,don't think you have to plough the bottom either!,that's ok for fish holding in certain known spots, but Salar tends to run at 18" to 2ft deep and Salar WON'T go down for a fly, however present it slowly enough and at their level and they'll be ready takers.
It's down to knowing your water and your fish.
Stick at it, best of luck,Pedro.

Callum Imray

Reaction score

For the fly fisher, a skagit head and 10 to 20 feet of tungsten tip is standard on the Tummel in Spring these days

GeeBee

Reaction score
Fish a short line in slack water - inside bends, below islands points etc

In very fast high water salmon hug the bank.

Cast downstream and let the flye swing into the bank, let it hang then strip really slow.

Rrrr

Reaction score
For the fly fisher, a skagit head and 10 to 20 feet of tungsten tip is standard on the Tummel in Spring these days
Whats that like to cast ? I rekon i would struggle with to cast that sort of thing.

lostangler

Reaction score
Atholl water

Hi all
Can anyone assist with some info on flies, pools and presentations on the Atholl estates water in late March? We have 2 days booked and are new to the beat. Thanks all.

neilt

Reaction score
Whats that like to cast ? I rekon i would struggle with to cast that sort of thing.

Use a heavy enough head - skagit or scandi and float or inty:- 600+
Roll it up
Form your cast/loop, not too fast
Fire it out
Should be fine.

Seby

Reaction score
I see one up the ladder for yesterday,I'm sure this happened at the start of last season as well......could have been a hen Kelt on her way down , then she changed her mind and went back up.......you know what woman are like ,
Hopefully get a few days booked soon. Opening day looked cold alan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
Check out the PAC website. Opening day fish appears again.

Might also soon have a warning message about "stepping on beavers".

Pitlochry Angling Club News
You had a lucky one Innes especially with the saw in your hands ,happened to me on the Earn ,the bank just collapsed and I ended up in a Nettle patch ,going by the photo there can't be many trees about on that bank , and you'd get a sair one if you fell on one of the recently gnawed stumps .

glenelg100

Reaction score
Hope it’s not to high for Saturday, been looking forward to my first trip out, fingers crossed

glenelg100

Reaction score
Not sure when it becomes pointless, some of the local guys may help. I think port na Craig is ok for higher water but how high is to high any advice please

Woody123

Reaction score
3ft Port-na-Craig bank still fishes ok in a small area. The other side I wouldn’t bother at that height.