River Tummel 2018

glenelg100

Reaction score
Booked an early outing on the lower Tummel, I notice there is now a ghillie to contact, is that s new setup, never noticed that before.

keirstream

Reaction score
Booked an early outing on the lower Tummel, I notice there is now a ghillie to contact, is that s new setup, never noticed that before.

Not sure why that has happened? An extra mouth to feed.:)
I have been wondering recently why I haven't heard of the usual frenetic rush to book the dam and thought I'd have a wee look to see if bookings are open yet.
As if by magic, and all under my radar, not only are bookings open, there is hardly a rod to be had in April and May. Catches now sit pretty steady at around 46 for the 2 months combined which is a sign of current runs I suppose. So, at 6 rods a day you need to fish for around 7 days to catch a fish and that is without factoring in local rods which put a substantial dent in those 46, so, in reality I guess, it will be nearer 10 or 12 days on average. Or 100 to 120 hours rod effort.:eek:
That pursuit of the perfect prize is getting more difficult every year for sure.

rs2ford

Reaction score
Not sure why that has happened? An extra mouth to feed.:)
I have been wondering recently why I haven't heard of the usual frenetic rush to book the dam and thought I'd have a wee look to see if bookings are open yet.
As if by magic, and all under my radar, not only are bookings open, there is hardly a rod to be had in April and May. Catches now sit pretty steady at around 46 for the 2 months combined which is a sign of current runs I suppose. So, at 6 rods a day you need to fish for around 7 days to catch a fish and that is without factoring in local rods which put a substantial dent in those 46, so, in reality I guess, it will be nearer 10 or 12 days on average. Or 100 to 120 hours rod effort.:eek:
That pursuit of the perfect prize is getting more difficult every year for sure.
Catches are noticbly down as you say Tom as is volume of fish passing through. Only a few years ago in peak months it was unusal to go more than 5 minutes without seeing a fish. Last season I had about 4 days, saw very few fish and caught nothing but have booked 3 days again this year with the optimism that it will be better than last year. More hope than anything to be honest but you never know. Might try really early mornings this year as a change of tactic but that will mean a 3am alarm call which is not appealing to say the least.
Cheers Diarmid.

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
I've fished the Tummel on 5 days so far this season , and in the 5 days only seen one fish ,with only one caught at the Dam it's not looking good,this time (first week in March) in 2019 and 2018 a good number of fish had been landed at the Dam and down river ,could this be the knock on effect of Storm Frank from 4 years ago ,when all the damage was done ,the rivers been at a good height and its been fairly mild,even seen Trout rising some days ,its all a bit worrying there should be more spring fish about .

Last edited:

mc andy

Reaction score
I've fished the Tummel on 5 days so far this season , and in the 5 days only seen one fish ,with only one caught at the Dam it's not looking good,this time (first week in March) in 2019 and 2018 a good number of fish had been landed at the Dam and down river ,could this be the knock on effect of Storm Frank from 4 years ago ,when all the damage was done ,the rivers been at a good height and its been fairly mild,even seen Trout rising some days ,its all a bit worrying there should be more spring fish about .

Possibly to do with the very high water for the last 5 or 6 weeks. Hopefully some settled times ahead, I do say hopefully :eek:

neilt

Reaction score
Possibly to do with the very high water for the last 5 or 6 weeks. Hopefully some settled times ahead, I do say hopefully :eek:
Think you’re both right.
Storm frank hasn’t helped the fish numbers.
High water and cold weather means SSE are generating a lot, so water levels unsettled - with generation most mornings.
What fish that are there are regularly unsettled.
Never good for the fishing at the dam.

glenelg100

Reaction score
Hope it drops a wee bit, I'm at the dam on Saturday first outing of the season.
Looking forward to it

keirstream

Reaction score
Well, good luck to all you hardy souls heading out soon.
I think I'll wait until my usual let of 4 days in the last week of April on East Haugh.
We have had very slim pickings on this week over the past 2 or 3 years. It's not so long ago I had 5 in a morning from the Home Stream on a cascade.:)
Lets hope it gets back to something near that this season.
5 for my week and I would be ecstatic.:thumb: