River Tummel 2018

seeking

Reaction score
Yorkshire (werethereagodit'dbegod'sowncountry)
2200 today. Very low water but still a trickle of fish on the move.

Hi Innes

Sounds better than painted :cool:. One query you may help me with:

What happens in spring when the smolts are out-migrating?

Do they come backwards down the fish ladder in their droves, or through the "fish mincers" er, turbine outflows, or over the high-wall?

innes

Reaction score
As far as I am aware the vast majority of smolts come down through the turbines....smolt friendly turbines I believe.I think I heard that the smolts migrate at a level in the loch that misses the ladder outflow. Anglers certainly get very agitated at migration time with the amount of FEBs gathering at the turbine outflow.Some smolts come down through the ladder as i have seen them myself.

innes

Reaction score
1959....2900 1983....3050 1984....3100 1991....2370 2002....3096

These are end of November totals so we have a bit to go yet especially if it continues at a dozen a day. Innes

crawuk

Reaction score
1959....2900 1983....3050 1984....3100 1991....2370 2002....3096

These are end of November totals so we have a bit to go yet especially if it continues at a dozen a day. Innes

Is Pitlochry worth a go before the end of season?

keirstream

Reaction score
any news about how the salmon repopulate the Garry yet ?

U.N.
It's early enough yet to achieve any accurate redd counts.
I discussed this with David Summers on Tuesday at a Tay Board meeting.
The Upper Garry was repopulated to an extent last season as adults were observed spawning in previously dewatered areas and above barriers previously considered impassible due to low flow.
Electrofishing confirmed the presence of juveniles this year so everything looks tentatively positive for the system.
I'll keep you advised as to developments and redd counts.

neilt

Reaction score
Last yr was approx' 3400.
The 5yr average to 2017 was approx' 4500.
The 5yr average in the 70's got to over 8250.
Since then 5yr average has been between 3500 and 4500.

budge

Reaction score
I wonder what the numbers were before hydro ?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

keirstream

Reaction score
U.N.
It's early enough yet to achieve any accurate redd counts.
I discussed this with David Summers on Tuesday at a Tay Board meeting.
The Upper Garry was repopulated to an extent last season as adults were observed spawning in previously dewatered areas and above barriers previously considered impassible due to low flow.
Electrofishing confirmed the presence of juveniles this year so everything looks tentatively positive for the system.
I'll keep you advised as to developments and redd counts.

Some further information from a meeting of T.D.S.F.B. last night.
A smolt trap was operated last season in the Garry downstream of a previously unpopulated area of the river at Struan. The Y1 catch number extrapolated an approximate smolt migration of some 15000 from which you could reasonably expect 750 returning adults.
Hopefully the numbers continue to build augmented by artificial restocking each spring.

Last edited:

jimthefish

Reaction score
Some further information from a meeting of T.D.S.F.B. last night.
A smolt trap was operated last season in the Garry downstream of a previously unpopulated area of the river at Struan. The Y1 catch number extrapolated an approximate smolt migration of some 15000 from which you could reasonably expect 75 returning adults.
Hopefully the numbers continue to build augmented by artificial restocking each spring.

Thanks Tom for this interesting info. The expected return of 75 seems low at 0.5% of the smolt migration. Has there been a slip with the decimal point calculation? 750 would be a more cheery expectation :)

keirstream

Reaction score
Thanks Tom for this interesting info. The expected return of 75 seems low at 0.5% of the smolt migration. Has there been a slip with the decimal point calculation? 750 would be a more cheery expectation :)

Woops.:redface::redface::redface:

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
1632. It really is interesting how many fish are running in desperately low and warm conditions. In my day as salmon sec I kept a close eye on the count. When anglers in the peak of spring said that the beat was alive with fish 25 per day was a normal increase as fish were running through unhindered. Obviously after high water and fish backing up you could get a surge, but 25 a day was a good run in peak spring. So this continuous run of teens to twenties each day is worth considering. Maybe many of the other rivers are having similar runs but don't have a counter to tell them....who knows.Opinions?

1051 on the 10th July this year.
Not very many given the Tummel is a spring river.
The Tay may well be, as stated many times elsewhere, ****ed.

keirstream

Reaction score
1051 on the 10th July this year.
Not very many given the Tummel is a spring river.
The Tay may well be, as stated many times elsewhere, ****ed.

Yes, Gordon, but why?
The Tweed is doing not too badly thanks very much, not fantastic, but O.K. given present circumstances.
The Dee is in the same boat as the Tay despite 30 years of 100% C & R. The Spey is similarly fecked.
Yet go North and you have a good chance of a great time.
There is no point in singling out the Tay, it's just part of a bigger problem really.:(