River Tummel 2018

innes

Reaction score
I am afraid I don't , was salmon sec for a few years and have records for then but not after. Last year was a record figure but basically things are up and down and catches are a poor way of reflecting the run through the ladder.Innes

innes

Reaction score
Not much change in the count today but that is possibly because the recent higher water means that there is still a flow coming through the dam overflow, as opposed to everything going through the grids....so potential runners are nosing up the wrong flow. In the chamber above the counter there was 12/15 good sized fish sitting in the current. Lovely sight. All fit and free of fungus.

innes

Reaction score
Despite the low water the count is going up 20/30 per day which is a normal sort of daily figure for this time of year. 1480 over now so it's creeping up to respectable....ish.

innes

Reaction score
1602 a mere 3 days later with a water temp of almost 21 deg. Still they come at mid teens per day.Presumably they get to one of the deep holes of the Garry then hunker down.Nice to see a fairly decent flow coming down the Upper Garry after the re-watering success, and I admit to have been a doubter.

Last edited:

innes

Reaction score
1632. It really is interesting how many fish are running in desperately low and warm conditions. In my day as salmon sec I kept a close eye on the count. When anglers in the peak of spring said that the beat was alive with fish 25 per day was a normal increase as fish were running through unhindered. Obviously after high water and fish backing up you could get a surge, but 25 a day was a good run in peak spring. So this continuous run of teens to twenties each day is worth considering. Maybe many of the other rivers are having similar runs but don't have a counter to tell them....who knows.Opinions?

mows

Reaction score
Still fresh fish going through the Northie each day. Catching them is a different thing.

Cheers

Mows

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
21st July total is 1796. Lowest yearly total I can find since 1953 was 2375 in 1991. Highest ever was 12000 in 1973.

Innes while I agree it’s pretty (worryingly) poor and there is plenty of water going through the ladder, could this warmer / low water be stopping them from running the ladder?
Are there still lots awaiting to run which might indicate there is something that’s not right for them?

innes

Reaction score
It's generally assumed that apart from a blockage two things hinder the fish going up the ladder, cold water(below 10 deg or so) or high water. The first is a temperature barrier the second is caused by too much water coming over the dam or through the turbines so the fish can't easily find the ladder entrance. Sadly conditions at the moment are near perfect for fish ascending the ladder.....just not many fish.

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
HE Schemes

Seems the 1973 figure is a good ad for HE power generation. I assume the Upper Garry was still a skeleton in those days ?

Innes while I agree it’s pretty (worryingly) poor and there is plenty of water going through the ladder, could this warmer / low water be stopping them from running the ladder?
Are there still lots awaiting to run which might indicate there is something that’s not right for them?

innes

Reaction score
The Upper Garry would have been bare then and we nasty sheep farmers were still opening the dip tanks full of OP dips and flushing them down the river in the '70's!! There were of course many 10's of '000's of sheep on the hills then, not now. 1973 5yr average was 7300, 1975 5yr average was the peak at 8250 and we have been 3500-4500 ever since except for 2008 with a 4800(5ya) mainly due to a biggish count in 2006 of 7025. As I have said before, these are the only figures we have and the catch records rarely match up with the highs and lows of the ladder numbers. Innes

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
First cast

My first ever cast was in Tummel at Milton of Fonab c 1957. Best I had was a 6lb eel on salty minnow. Nearly as big as me and my last minnow as I had to fish for them first with my rod top and a piece of worm. I was not best pleased. It was in a massive run, on a trout rod down by the loganberry field.

The Upper Garry would have been bare then and we nasty sheep farmers were still opening the dip tanks full of OP dips and flushing them down the river in the '70's!! There were of course many 10's of '000's of sheep on the hills then, not now. 1973 5yr average was 7300, 1975 5yr average was the peak at 8250 and we have been 3500-4500 ever since except for 2008 with a 4800(5ya) mainly due to a biggish count in 2006 of 7025. As I have said before, these are the only figures we have and the catch records rarely match up with the highs and lows of the ladder numbers. Innes

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
My first ever cast was in Tummel at Milton of Fonab c 1957. Best I had was a 6lb eel on salty minnow. Nearly as big as me and my last minnow as I had to fish for them first with my rod top and a piece of worm. I was not best pleased. It was in a massive run, on a trout rod down by the loganberry field.

That's a fair eel Dave.

innes

Reaction score
Looking over the wall on the town side,Dave, I often see eels working their way in amongst the stones in low water. Some of considerable size. Worming is no longer allowed so eels rarely feature nowadays.Innes

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
Split cane

Gone now Mows, like the salmon. Knackered my old 9' spilt cane fly rod I can tell you. Still got it, top's like a banana !! I just had to cut the line and leave it, wouldn't touch an eel that big. But there were other compensations in Pitlochry !!

At that time there were hundreds of salmon off the pass in early August; we had one week on Tummel and our second week on the Ness, camping, every year. What two great places to visit. Can never thank my late father enough for the good times we had together camping by the river. Last time I did that was on Alta, in 1993, I think. Super way to do it. Although I'd rather not squat behind a birch tree too often !!

That's a fair eel Dave.

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
Once saw a dead eel about that size after a flood in the burn at fettercairn. It was a scary sight.
In the 70s and 80s a guy used to trap them in loch lee. Got a lot of 3 to 6ld eels. He used to ship straight to billingsgate.
The guy reckoned that the eels all met up in one spot on the loch before starting their migration.

Dave Wilkinson

Banned
Reaction score
W' eel meet again. .....

Yee tak the high road and I'll tak the low road but I'll be in Scotland afore yee /I]..

Once saw a dead eel about that size after a flood in the burn at fettercairn. It was a scary sight.
In the 70s and 80s a guy used to trap them in loch lee. Got a lot of 3 to 6ld eels. He used to ship straight to billingsgate.
The guy reckoned that the eels all met up in one spot on the loch before starting their migration.

Last edited:

innes

Reaction score
2005 with a water temp of 65deg but all the flow is coming from the bottom of the dam as the turbines are off. I would have thought that would make it extremely difficult for fish to find the ladder. innes

innes

Reaction score
2029 yesterday with the main flow still coming out of the bottom of the dam. So a few fish still heading upstream and finding the ladder.

Last edited: