River Till Ford beat.

Wilkie

Reaction score
Has anybody any experience of fishing the river Till ford beat it seems quite cheap per day is that because its not that brilliant.regards Martin

hackler

Reaction score
Has anybody any experience of fishing the river Till ford beat it seems quite cheap per day is that because its not that brilliant.regards Martin

I have fished this beat a couple of times some years ago when you could get the day ticket from the local Post Office. The Post Office has now gone and I thought Felling Fly Fishers had this water. Perhaps there are still additional day tickets available though?

Anyway, the problem for me was that it was not really fly water. One short stretch did fish to the fly but the rest tended to fished by wormers and given water, people who liked to spin. Fine if those are your preferred methods, they are just not mine.

Long, slow moving pools then, with access from the roadside bank.

The man who really knows all the Ford and Etal Estates waters best, is the river keeper Brian Thompson. You can speak to him about all the beats available on a ticket basis between 8am and 9am and 6pm to 7pm. He is a lovely chap and hugely knowledge about the Till.

Chicharito

Reaction score
I have fished this beat a couple of times some years ago when you could get the day ticket from the local Post Office. The Post Office has now gone and I thought Felling Fly Fishers had this water. Perhaps there are still additional day tickets available though?

Anyway, the problem for me was that it was not really fly water. One short stretch did fish to the fly but the rest tended to fished by wormers and given water, people who liked to spin. Fine if those are your preferred methods, they are just not mine.

The man who really knows all the Ford and Etal Estates waters best, is the river keeper Brian Thompson. You can speak to him about all the beats available on a ticket basis between 8am and 9am and 6pm to 7pm. He is a lovely chap and hugely knowledge about the Till.

Agree with the above. Felling Fly Fishers do have access to this beat , but tickets are available from Brian Thompson near Milfield. He is a font of knowledge on fishing the Till. Details are available on the FishTweed website.
I have fished it a few times and have always found that it fishes best at 1ft or above on the Heaton mill gauge (see Fish Tweed).
Besides the bottom pools which suit the fly there are some pools at the top of the beat which are worth a go if you are prepared to walk.
Of the Ford and Etal beats it is not the best but given water is worth a go.
Conditions at the moment are not very promising !

hackler

Reaction score
Try and get on Lower and Upper Tindal or Redscar. Good fly water, particularly the first two.

Paul

Absolutely. Lower Tindal has got to be one of the loveliest stretches of river in Northumberland and that's saying something. I fished it last week - far too bright but a joy to be there.
The river was packed with grayling which kept going for the wee doubles I was using. A week or so earlier though, someone had a 15lb salmon from LT and that is quite a fish for the Till.

marty31

Reaction score
sand, sand, and more sand! with a bit of weed mixed in:eek: bit of a "Russian front" of the till, not a good beat, by any means, no flow for the fly unless theres water, and if there is the fish belt through, best advice is try a different bit, fenton was my favourite, fish slow down and lie in the pools don't know if a visitor can get on anymore, thinks felling fly fishers gobbled it up for themselves when nobody was looking :cool:

Chicharito

Reaction score
sand, sand, and more sand! with a bit of weed mixed in:eek: bit of a "Russian front" of the till, not a good beat, by any means, no flow for the fly unless theres water, and if there is the fish belt through, best advice is try a different bit, fenton was my favourite, fish slow down and lie in the pools don't know if a visitor can get on anymore, thinks felling fly fishers gobbled it up for themselves when nobody was looking :cool:

Not keen then !

Compared to the other beats it is not in the same league.
The other beats on Ford and Etal are more productive and mostly more scenic.
Another good beat is Tiptoe although more expensive but less busy as only a 2 rod beat.
All beat descriptions can be viewed on Fish Tweed.

ozzyian

Reaction score
Not keen then !

Compared to the other beats it is not in the same league.
The other beats on Ford and Etal are more productive and mostly more scenic.
Another good beat is Tiptoe although more expensive but less busy as only a 2 rod beat.
All beat descriptions can be viewed on Fish Tweed.

Tiptoe just doesn't seem to produce like the Tindals and Redscar, not sure why, there are some nice pools, maybe just in the wrong place.

Chicharito, Tiptoe lets holiday cottages with fishing as well as the day lets, I think it's a 4 rod in total.

Wilkie, what are you primarily after here? sea trout or salmon? You're late for sea trout now I think but maybe a final flourish with the forecast rain.

Agree with what's been said, Ford beat isn't very good compared to the others. Slow and featureless in general, I wouldn't go back personally, Brian Thompson is def worth a call for advice.

Wilkie

Reaction score
I think I will stick with my local river Wear,it looked like a good idea at the time but what with the price for fishing eg Tiptoe and the travelling I think I would be a fool to do it,anyway thanks for the info much appreciated.regards Martin

Chester

Reaction score
I would recommend the Till as an alternative to the Wear in the spring. They have big early running sea trout - I've had them in April.
Redscar and the Tindel's seem to fish well to the fly with a foot on the gauge and it's pretty good value for 30 quid.

Paul54

Reaction score
Fished it years ago had many a salmon and sea trout on both spinning and my own flies Paul pearl my own pattern caned the salmon

Paul54

Reaction score

I've had a few salmon on my own flies on same beat