River Teith 2020

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Yes could well be Allan fish. They would look at nothing. I suspect they will now have gone based on the big food today so not going to get the chance to catch one. Let's see what the flood brings other than the seal which was hunting the Rocks on Friday morning.

keirstream

Reaction score
Yes could well be Allan fish. They would look at nothing. I suspect they will now have gone based on the big food today so not going to get the chance to catch one. Let's see what the flood brings other than the seal which was hunting the Rocks on Friday morning.
There was a run of grilse through the Lower Teith today.
Typical behaviour from these wee bullets, they pulled and rolled at flies presented at them and didn't slow up, coupled with their soft mouths, resulting in a load of lost fish.:(
I lost 3 coming to the net and landed 1.
I also had 6 separate fish pull at a monkey without taking properly, the last one I had on for 10 seconds before it pulled out.
I had fish rolling over wee doubles twice and not touch the fly.
They are truly frustrating wee bu**ers, but, I'm fecking glad to see them again.:D:D:D(y)(y)

ArchieL

Reaction score
Good news Tom that they are starting to come. Every grilse time each year i used to freak myself out and put doubt into my own head about my poor fly fishing hook up rates and thought i was doing everything wrong. Admittedly i was basing my hook up rates on the my old shrimping days. Now i am chilled out they do make the day exciting with their plucks and pulls and boils. So different to fishing for the Springers which is my favourit time of year.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Does not look like Allan fish after all. If not, the Allan is in for one hell of a year. Forth is still stuffed with grilse!

keirstream

Reaction score
Does not look like Allan fish after all. If not, the Allan is in for one hell of a year. Forth is still stuffed with grilse!
Yes and I heard they are not playing too well.
Certainly the Teith is seeing good numbers of them which is unusual. They are actually great fun just now.
I think you will find though that the fish milling around in the Pool and the Tree Line are in fact Allan fish.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
As you know I am slightly further up than the pool. It is also stuffed. I had a similar day yesterday to yours after the flood. Not sure why they would not have run the Allan with this weeks flood on Tuesday. Either way great to see and fish on every tide.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
He will be back up with the next big tides. Thankfully not seen him this year, but still time.

keirstream

Reaction score
According to several reports he is living upstream of you at present.
So he would need to drop back rather than swim up.:(

ArchieL

Reaction score
Think the fish are sitting higher up the river this year as they heard Lisbon1967 was going to buy a ticket for the town water so decided it was unsafe to hang around his old haunts :)

luney

Reaction score
I fished the Teith last March for a day on the way back from the Spey, lovely river I think we were up near Calender? On our way back we pulled up at a junction and I looked up to see a sign for the entrance to one of my favourite Distilleries Deanston... If I had been driving I would have popped in for the craic...

johnwest

Reaction score
I fished the Teith last March for a day on the way back from the Spey, lovely river I think we were up near Calender? On our way back we pulled up at a junction and I looked up to see a sign for the entrance to one of my favourite Distilleries Deanston... If I had been driving I would have popped in for the craic...
Yep a nice wee dram, can't beat the smell from the distillery and a fish on just over the wall, paradise!

SHSHANKS

teithflyfisher
Reaction score
Aidan, the seal passed me at the bend on its way up to the rocks last week..river was sitting around .6 on the gage.

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
I must have been lucky then, went Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and never saw him. Long may that continue. Not that I will be wading tomorrow! May need a boat!

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Guess what came in on the tide. Apparently it was there this morning as well. Came up to the Rocks. Not happy to see me. Thrashed on the top a few times before heading back down river. First time I have ever seen one do that. Normally they just ignore people.