River Tees 2020

underbeing

Reaction score
Anyone seen any fish today? The river looked good at BC, but I saw nothing moving.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

C

cgaines10

Anyone seen any fish today? The river looked good at BC, but I saw nothing moving.

I've heard of a good few getting caught recently, saying that for a good few months now. It seems like more anglers are trying for them now or are just reporting them ?‍♂️ Good news either way.

I'm going to try and get one myself before the season draws a close. As I've spent a lot of time on the Wear this year.

teesfisher

Reaction score
I've heard of a good few getting caught recently, saying that for a good few months now. It seems like more anglers are trying for them now or are just reporting them ?‍♂️ Good news either way.

I'm going to try and get one myself before the season draws a close. As I've spent a lot of time on the Wear this year.
The word on the grapevine is that its been quite a good season for those that have put some effort in. Typical Tees really - the fish are there, just not many bother to fish for them.

C

cgaines10

The word on the grapevine is that its been quite a good season for those that have put some effort in. Typical Tees really - the fish are there, just not many bother to fish for them.

Hopefully it continues & spreads some confidence to others.

underbeing

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right. As a rookie I probably need one of those days where there are so many fish that you see them (occasionally)! I'll have another go today

C

cgaines10

I'm sure you're right. As a rookie I probably need one of those days where there are so many fish that you see them (occasionally)! I'll have another go today

Seeing fish always gives you that extra bit of confidence, however I’ve actually caught more salmon when I haven’t seen them showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cgaines10

Thats typical of the Tees in my experience Chris. Gonna dedicate the next few weeks to the Tees, and hopefully get a fish or two with a bit of luck.

I’ll be ok there for the last week once I’m home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gman22

Reaction score
I’ve dedicated this year to the Tees on the Fly. I’ve had 2 so far one in July and 1 today, but I didn't see any fish show on the days I caught. I have seen quite a few fish showing earlier in the season but nothing in the last week or two. It’s a bit demoralising after a bit but you just have to keep flogging away and hope for the best. Finding the lies on beats when nobody really fished for salmon for a long time is the hardest bit.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
I’ve dedicated this year to the Tees on the Fly. I’ve had 2 so far one in July and 1 today, but I didn't see any fish show on the days I caught. I have seen quite a few fish showing earlier in the season but nothing in the last week or two. It’s a bit demoralising after a bit but you just have to keep flogging away and hope for the best. Finding the lies on beats when nobody really fished for salmon for a long time is the hardest bit.

Well done! That’s a good return for what has likely been done hard work. Hopefully that July fish will be the first of many runners from the lie you found!

teesfisher

Reaction score
Well done! Good to hear of a few fish from the Tees.

C

cgaines10

Well where did that come from then? Meeting after meeting myself, Steve & others have been told there's no money to do anything at the barrage! Then out the blue, bam £3million revamp. Shocking deceit from all involved.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score

Well where did that come from then? Meeting after meeting myself, Steve & others have been told there's no money to do anything at the barrage! Then out the blue, bam £3million revamp. Shocking deceit from all involved.

Surprised?

Of course there was no money to change it, just money to maintain it. I see the People’s Postcode Lottery ( a genuine idiot tax) even donated 500k to help the Canal & rivers trust continue the man made damage to wild fish ??.

C

cgaines10

Surprised?

Of course there was no money to change it, just money to maintain it. I see the People’s Postcode Lottery ( a genuine idiot tax) even donated 500k to help the Canal & rivers trust continue the man made damage to wild fish ??.

Surprised no, but pi$$ed off yes!

Yes I noticed that too lol & measly last sentence to mention a migratory pass ?

I've never even heard of Sean Mcginley & don't recall him ever being present at the meetings.

This paragraph too "With controlled water flow of the River Tees, to prevent flooding and the effects of tidal change, the Tees Barrage continues to play a fundamental role in regenerating the Tees waterfront" We proved along with the EAs data that water quality had already improved prior to the Barrage being built and has remained at a steady constant since. Plus, we still have flooding incidents, we'd probably have fewer if we didn't keep it at a constant high tide for miles.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Surprised no, but pi$$ed off yes!

Yes I noticed that too lol & measly last sentence to mention a migratory pass ?

I've never even heard of Sean Mcginley & don't recall him ever being present at the meetings.

This paragraph too "With controlled water flow of the River Tees, to prevent flooding and the effects of tidal change, the Tees Barrage continues to play a fundamental role in regenerating the Tees waterfront" We proved along with the EAs data that water quality had already improved prior to the Barrage being built and has remained at a steady constant since. Plus, we still have flooding incidents, we'd probably have fewer if we didn't keep it at a constant high tide for miles.

Upstream it stops the tide backing up a big river into Yarm, but that’s it. Downstream it does nothing.

The Barrage is a weird thing, maintained but an essentially unaccountable NGO on behalf of a local authority who couldn’t pay for it and supported by an environment agency who would try and tear it down if it were anywhere else.

My sarcasm isn’t directed at you, or Stivy BTW. Amongst others I am impressed by the work you have put into improvements and disappointed that you don’t appear to have been given the full picture.

C

cgaines10

Upstream it stops the tide backing up a big river into Yarm, but that’s it. Downstream it does nothing.

The Barrage is a weird thing, maintained but an essentially unaccountable NGO on behalf of a local authority who couldn’t pay for it and supported by an environment agency who would try and tear it down if it were anywhere else.

My sarcasm isn’t directed at you, or Stivy BTW. Amongst others I am impressed by the work you have put into improvements and disappointed that you don’t appear to have been given the full picture.

I know I've suggested it before to them asking why can't we change the way we use the barrage and use it mainly to prevent large surges going upstream, but other than that lower the gates and get it back to free following tidal section, even to some degree instead of as large impoundment of water. I honestly can't see how watersports at Stockton and course angling bringing in much money to the area at all, I think it would be negligible when compared with the maintenance and upkeep the barrage presents.

Yes, it's a mega structure that really on paper serves little purpose. It's just dressed up due to it's previous huge investment & the lack challenge of from the people at the top.

Don't worry mate, no offence taken :). Thanks for the kind words, I was speaking to Steve earlier and he was dismayed too. To be honest it just fuels me more if anything.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I know I've suggested it before to them asking why can't we change the way we use the barrage and use it mainly to prevent large surges going upstream, but other than that lower the gates and get it back to free following tidal section, even to some degree instead of as large impoundment of water. I honestly can't see how watersports at Stockton and course angling bringing in much money to the area at all, I think it would be negligible when compared with the maintenance and upkeep the barrage presents.

Yes, it's a mega structure that really on paper serves little purpose. It's just dressed up due to it's previous huge investment & the lack challenge of from the people at the top.

Don't worry mate, no offence taken :). Thanks for the kind words, I was speaking to Steve earlier and he was dismayed too. To be honest it just fuels me more if anything.

The installation of the barrage had a dramatic effect on Coarse fishing on the Tees. Considerably altering the species type, and balance.
A lot of the angling clubs were hit very hard, during the transformation from a tidal river, to a semi still water in places.
Even in this 'Morph period' I would be surprised if Coarse angling did not generate far more money in the local area than game angling.
Club membership, tackle, and especially bait sales, generated 'Lifeline' income to more than a few shops.
I certainly think more local game biased shops have disappeared, than the multi discipline / coarse biased shops?
Although I don't know what money the 'Watersports' at the barrage generates, I doubt in doesn't come close to the cost of running it.
Especially given, the numbers up here, that most canoeists seem to prefer the upper river, with I would think much more revenue being generated with canoe permits, than fishing permits, in the last few years?

Last edited:
C

cgaines10

The installation of the barrage had a dramatic effect on Coarse fishing on the Tees. Considerably altering the species type, and balance.
A lot of the angling clubs were hit very hard, during the transformation from a tidal river, to a semi still water in places.
Even in this 'Morph period' I would be surprised if Coarse angling did not generate far more money in the local area than game angling.
Club membership, tackle, and especially bait sales, generated 'Lifeline' income to more than a few shops.
I certainly think more local game biased shops have disappeared, than the multi discipline / coarse biased shops?
Although I don't know what money the 'Watersports' at the barrage generates, I doubt in doesn't come close to the cost of running it.
Especially given, the numbers up here, that most canoeists seem to prefer the upper river, with I would think much more revenue being generated with canoe permits, than fishing permits, in the last few years?

Yes, I actually asked a lot of the course anglers on the Tees hesitantly what their thoughts would be with regards to the gates being lowered & I was shocked that they all said they would prefer it as the fishing was better previously to the Barrage installation. These guys have been fishing longer than I've been alive so I respect their words ? I was hesitant as I didn't want to push for something that would have a huge negative affect on other aspects, but ultimately I want the best for the river & the migratory run isn't where it should be.

I've never really seen any game angling shops local to us, I know there is a few that are more course fishing biased.

I'm in a few Teesdale groups and I regularly see posts of canoeists on the upper Tees as I guess the rapids up there are more exciting and suited their needs. In comparison I hardly see a boat going by Ingleby or Stockton.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Yes, I actually asked a lot of the course anglers on the Tees hesitantly what their thoughts would be with regards to the gates being lowered & I was shocked that they all said they would prefer it as the fishing was better previously to the Barrage installation. These guys have been fishing longer than I've been alive so I respect their words ? I was hesitant as I didn't want to push for something that would have a huge negative affect on other aspects, but ultimately I want the best for the river & the migratory run isn't where it should be.

I've never really seen any game angling shops local to us, I know there is a few that are more course fishing biased.

I'm in a few Teesdale groups and I regularly see posts of canoeists on the upper Tees as I guess the rapids up there are more exciting and suited their needs. In comparison I hardly see a boat going by Ingleby or Stockton.
Yarm area was a renown Dace fishery, which used to produce more than a few near record fish, think it may have held the record at one time ?
Personally...is it better, or not, is open to debate once the bream started showing in numbers, different definitely !
The 'Low force' area is alive with canoeists, if there is water in the river, there was a load up today.
They will be there all through autumn/winter, and the spawning period. Most are pretty good, but there are a few that are really arrogant.
I had 4 come through, and despite being politely asked to paddle through the nearside, behind me, in 3 ' of water, decided to go straight through the middle of the pool, with the last one doing a full 360 right in the middle ?:poop: Not a thing I could do, and they knew it !
We even have a 'Ladies wild water swimming club' regularly visiting, unfortunately they keep using the area of some of the best 'Redds' above Low force for their dip ? Probably blissfully unaware that they are possibly swimming in clouds of salmon milt ?:unsure:
I don't think that Raby has permits for that yet ? but if it gets more popular...?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score

WP Adams Tackle & Guns in Duke Street Darlo was the best one, a good selection of game & coarse tackle. There was a small place on Clarke’s yard too. Think Adams shut nearly 20 years ago now.

There’s always been good Trout and Grayling on the Tees, but, in my now very out of date experience, the majority of effort is from Coarse fishermen - especially below Broken Scar.

Who in their right mind would want to kayak though Stockton when they could be up river?

I remember volunteering for the kayaking activity when we went on a Scout camp up near Durham. We thought we’d be on the Wear and were gutted to get sent to a mini bus and taken off to some dock side in South Shields. 10 Scouts spent a few hours trying to avoid the floating Jonnies and Dead Sea Gulls. Tumble turns? No chance!

C

cgaines10

Yarm area was a renown Dace fishery, which used to produce more than a few near record fish, think it may have held the record at one time ?
Personally...is it better, or not, is open to debate once the bream started showing in numbers, different definitely !
The 'Low force' area is alive with canoeists, if there is water in the river, there was a load up today.
They will be there all through autumn/winter, and the spawning period. Most are pretty good, but there are a few that are really arrogant.
I had 4 come through, and despite being politely asked to paddle through the nearside, behind me, in 3 ' of water, decided to go straight through the middle of the pool, with the last one doing a full 360 right in the middle ?:poop: Not a thing I could do, and they knew it !
We even have a 'Ladies wild water swimming club' regularly visiting, unfortunately they keep using the area of some of the best 'Redds' above Low force for their dip ? Probably blissfully unaware that they are possibly swimming in clouds of salmon milt ?:unsure:
I don't think that Raby has permits for that yet ? but if it gets more popular...?:ROFLMAO:

Not good, they do seem to be very ignorant towards anglers, not sure why they have that attitude. A 28g toby might change that ?

I've never heard of the swimming club though! Crazy ? Hopefully they aren't disturbing too many spawning fish this time of year! the waters bitterly cold lol

lowforcefly

Reaction score
WP Adams Tackle & Guns in Duke Street Darlo was the best one, a good selection of game & coarse tackle. There was a small place on Clarke’s yard too. Think Adams shut nearly 20 years ago now.

There’s always been good Trout and Grayling on the Tees, but, in my now very out of date experience, the majority of effort is from Coarse fishermen - especially below Broken Scar.

Who in their right mind would want to kayak though Stockton when they could be up river?

I remember volunteering for the kayaking activity when we went on a Scout camp up near Durham. We thought we’d be on the Wear and were gutted to get sent to a mini bus and taken off to some dock side in South Shields. 10 Scouts spent a few hours trying to avoid the floating Jonnies and Dead Sea Gulls. Tumble turns? No chance!

I used to use Adams a bit, and one day turned up to find it shut ?
I don't know how Yarm AC are fairing at present, probably suffering like a lot of AC's, but it was a very big club.
When I fished my first open match there, I got a shock, not many clubs who had their own proper club house HQ... complete with a bar ?
Their big opens used to be sell out affairs!

I very rarely get down Stockton / The barrage, and just wonder how utilised the 'Slalom course' actually is ?
It must cost a bit to maintain, and I believe it is pumped to create different flows, which must be pricey to fire up ?

You can't blame people for coming up to use the upper river as it is stunning, especially at this time of year.
I don't, and I used to do a bit of canoeing in my younger days until I worked out I was too top heavy, and you weren't supposed to spend most of your time upside down ?:unsure::unsure:
Though, we get a couple of outfits running training sessions at Low Force on a regular basis, with up to 20 at a time, which can be a pain ?