River Tees 2020

C

cgaines10

Well Happy New Year to all my fellow Tees anglers. I hope you've all had a great festive period and are all itching to get back on the water!

Hopefully we can continue to have your support in rectifying the issues surrounding the Barrage.

Tight lines everyone.

Ian Alex

Reaction score
Cheers, Chris.

According to figures I've just seen in the February issue of Trout and Salmon, the EA state 190 for migratory fish runs for the last season. It's not clear to me if T+S mean counted through, or catch returns. Either way it's a ridiculous figure.

dave1959

Reaction score
I would take that figure with a pinch of salt Ian. They most prob get that figure from what runs the fish pass, but every one know the fish go over the gates any way. Good luck with your campaign Chris, and good look to both of you for the season.

Ian Alex

Reaction score
I would take that figure with a pinch of salt Ian. They most prob get that figure from what runs the fish pass, but every one know the fish go over the gates any way. Good luck with your campaign Chris, and good look to both of you for the season.

I am not taking it too seriously, Dave. It only highlights the need for a new pass and counters. Cheers, Ian

C

cgaines10

I wanted to come on last night and give an update to yesterdays meeting at the Barrage but i got tied up with a few other things. Anyway, firstly the meeting was well attend! I didn't count but i would think about 12 people. Which is massive improvement since the last time. The EA, Angling trust and CRT were all there, plus others.

The first thing that we looked at was the top sluice gate. Which is situated at the top of the fish pass. This was installed originally but has never been used. We raised this a while back now & the CRT staff have finally got it working with a hydraulic pack. It was good to see it in action and would certainly work during those big tides when the gates pull up and the fish pass shuts off (fish rule). CRT are looking to get this automated and built into the PLC. So we'll keep and eye on the progress with that.

The next thing was the adjustments to the nav lock gates, Fishtek suggested retrofittig sluice gates to them & are confident it would work well for fish passage. There was confusion on the automatic operation of it. Then CRT suggesting potentially leaving the work until the gates are replaced. This has been a hot topic as there has been several different thoughts on when they will be changed. A guy for CRT who is involved with gate work, confirmed they aren't due for replacement for another 15 years! Myself and the EA both reaffirmed that this is far too long!! The EA were also very forceful on this due to the fact that one of the stimulations of the Barrages provional fish pass license, is that the nav lock needs to be used for fish pass. Which we all know that it isn't currently!! It was good to see the EA react like this.

CRT are asking Fishtek to produce a design and cost fish pass for gate 1. They need to get the funds together for this first if I remember rightly.

Work is ongoing with creating securing mounts for the EAs Aris monitoring camera.

Seal surveys will continue & apparently the Seals that frequent the Barrage are all different and not the same offenders, take that as you want. I don't believe it myself.

The plan to do more work on the smolt monitoring too.

They are the main points, if I remember anything more i'll be sure to post.

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
The official EA count for numbers of fish ( salmon and seatrout) using the fish pass is 204 for year to 30/11/19.
Previous years figures for comparison

2012 1661
2013 1161
2014 430
2015 367
2016 498
2017 297
2018 217

NEbody

Reaction score
The official EA count for numbers of fish ( salmon and seatrout) using the fish pass is 204 for year to 30/11/19.
Previous years figures for comparison

2012 1661
2013 1161
2014 430
2015 367
2016 498
2017 297
2018 217

I guess they changed the way they operate the gates in 2014

teesfisher

Reaction score
I guess they changed the way they operate the gates in 2014
I think that's when the "fish rule" ( when gate 1 is maintained to keep the jump at about 0.75m or less at high tide) was introduced for every appropriate tide. What this did was to make it far easier for fish to pass over the gates than previously, so if would follow that the counts of fish using the pass would reduce accordingly.

C

cgaines10

Kelt caught today at broken scar by course anglers, safely returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cgaines10

Broken Scar is currently showing 3.263m & rising! Previous highest recorded was in 1995 at 3.28m! ouch, it's a big one

Ged

Reaction score
Read earlier that the barrage was flowing at 500 cumecs, that's 1.8 million tonnes of water per hour!!

Ian Alex

Reaction score
This flood is sure to have caused further erosion of already vulnerable bankside and changed a few pools and runs. Will have a wander when the water drops and see what has changed.

Ian Alex

Reaction score
I suppose it's a good time to tie lots of flies which may never get used to this season..

Ian Alex

Reaction score
I didn't notice that much had really changed along the Blackwell stretch. Access at Broken Scar has been closed , so it's best to come in at the Blackwell end if you want a a walk along the River. Been working a few patterns, I was going to give this version of the Ally Shrimp a try out, but probably have to wait until the back end.

Attachments

• IMG_20200316_111113448.jpg
    IMG_20200316_111113448.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:

Ian Alex

Reaction score
I had a walk along the river at Low Coniscliffe today. Very low water as expected. Farmer with contractors laying extraction pipe into the river. Seriously, I expected to see few people but there were loads, with some kind of party going on ! Observed one angler spinning, why he waded through the pool is beyond me. With dry weather and increasing heat, frankly it's not worth throwing a line.

kingfisheryh02nxs

Banned
Reaction score
I had a walk along the river at Low Coniscliffe today. Very low water as expected. Farmer with contractors laying extraction pipe into the river. Seriously, I expected to see few people but there were loads, with some kind of party going on ! Observed one angler spinning, why he waded through the pool is beyond me. With dry weather and increasing heat, frankly it's not worth throwing a line.
With the negativity you will never catch fish, fish are there for the people who want to catch and put the time in.

Ian Alex

Reaction score
Good luck with that, these are practical problems. Extreme low water means few if any fish have got upstream of the barrage.

C

cgaines10

Apologies for my lack of posting. It’s been rather quiet as you can imagine due to Covid 19. So there isn’t really much to report. I haven’t even been able to go to the barrage until this week.

Anyway, I had a great week on the Tees this week catching my PB trout;

I’ve also just been sent this. Which was caught yesterday at the barrage;

Last edited by a moderator:

Stewart4wd

Reaction score
Apologies for my lack of posting. It’s been rather quiet as you can imagine due to Covid 19. So there isn’t really much to report. I haven’t even been able to go to the barrage until this week.

Anyway, I had a great week on the Tees this week catching my PB trout;

I’ve also just been sent this. Which was caught yesterday at the barrage;

That’s an awesome trout! Well done you. What weight do you reckon?