River Tees 2018

C

cgaines10

Cheers Chris

The last one is the Road Bridge at Over Dinsdale, worth a look in low water right now because you'll see that the flow is concentrated towards the left bank and goes between the bridge footings, it always looked like a place a fish might stop and I did more than a few hours down there with the 13ft Cordon Bleu to no avail. The weir looks like the one at Low Dinsdale on the Aisalby road, mid-way between Middleton One Row and Worsall, spent a bit of time there at night, we used to camp in the woods. Heard some splashing but never saw a fish take the wier. There is bridleway access from the road where it takes a sharp left hand bend right on Durham / Cleveland border. Again, very different at low water and the ford is probably still used by the Farmer. The other one is the Bridge at the east end of Hurworth looking upstream.

Thanks Grassy!
I just love the look of the Tees, there's so many beautiful parts to it.
Do you know who owns the fishing to these or does anyone fish it?

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
weirs

Sorry, I meant worth a look to see what it looks like in low water, there’s about 2ft on it in the Brudge photo and probably similar in the others.

That Weir is low Dinsdale, or Low Middleton as I should have said, bet u 50p;).

There’s a bit of water on, but that’s the weir. The photo is taken standing up at the top of the track which leads down to the Ford.

Clearly fish go through it, I just never saw any. I’m sure watching the right time after a tide would produce results nowadays though.

Image 1 in my fotos is down from sockburn, down from girsby bridge,image 2 is Low dinsdale Yarm aisalby back road as seen by the bend in the image?
i didnt know about the other weir inbetween girsby and over dinsdale (fish locks) infact chris my dad has sent that to you before via facebook

Screenshot from 2018-07-18 08-53-02.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-07-18 08-52-37.jpg

infact they is only a few fields that separate the two from each other? small fotos but still?

C

cgaines10

Minutes from Barrage meeting

Here are the minutes from the meeting last week at the Barrage on fish passage.

Please let me know your thoughts either on here or in a private message.

Last edited by a moderator:

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Round In Circles

Here are the minutes from the meeting last week at the Barrage on fish passage.

Please let me know your thoughts either on here or in a private message.

What do i think? well not sure to be very honest,i think that they don't have the very first clue any of them or if they do they some how trying to pull the wool over the eyes of many,you lot included.
What does it all mean then deep down as i didn't even take the time to read past half way,seem to have seen those words many times before.

It is like this,when the Tees had no barrage and was grossly polluted from lower preston park down river,we had no fish from the park to the see,the river was a diff colour every single day,yet the salmon still tried to enter the rivers and even in the 70s dead Salmon were found in the upper tidal reaches,then in the 1980s very early in the 80s we started to get runs again,in a similar way to the river Ure,both rivers needed a flood to get the fish moving,that's why both rivers never had constant Salmon all year.

Yes the fish pass is rubbish we know that,but when all said and done the fish pass on each tide,ok a few get eaten by seals,that is a natural thing not man made,ok the barrage is man made,but this is sort of expected in a tidal river with such a big blockage stuck there.

If you ask me i would say yes it is very nice and sweet what you are all dong but IMO it is going absolutely no where,you lot ain't the first people to sit at meetings trying to explain to them,bet you are all sat there sometimes thinking you are talking to a brick wall.

I would personally hassle them to clean up streams that flow to the Tees and unblock weirs etc.
So Billingham beck,Lustrum beck,River Leven,River Skerne etc.
As asking them for a counter is like trying to get blood from a stone.

Asking for a Seal,otter,bird cull sets a bad standard and give anglers a bad name in the E/A (Vegan Society).
So maybe the direction needs to be swayed then if they start to play ball slowly re-introduce the old plan of a counter.
Was only a month or so ago they said the Tees had no Salmon in the 1980s ! and it's yearly run is estimated at 5k ! where the hell do these figures come from,what are they based on can we see that data that suggests or confirms what they are saying? what does OLLY SHEPHERD SAY? what do the rest say? when they said the Tees had no salmon in the 1980s was they anybody there who used to fish it for salmon back then?
Love what you are all doing and hey i hope it works, but from where im sat it seems that you are all chasing pipe dreams.

So now i would be searching and asking sff members for old trout and salmon mags from the 80s from say 1980-1990 then at least at the next meeting if the person who said it had no salmon in the 80s was there you could ask him to have a gander at the fishing reports from them times,hey one of the local oracles was a bailiff for Northumbrian water,well before the E/A Was even thought about,and when it changed it changed to the NRA Then the E/A.

Other than the Barrage area and past Broken Scar fish sightings are thin on the ground and always will be unless fishers get out there and fish it.So still they is nothing to defend what we are all saying as no body seems to be fishing the river between Stockton and Broken scar-the main areas where fish will be when the river is low like this.

I really hope it works but from where im sat you are all expecting miracles and it seems that you are all pointing them in the wrong direction.

C

cgaines10

What does it all mean then deep down as i didn't even take the time to read past half way,seem to have seen those words many times before. It's definitely worth reading it all

Yes the fish pass is rubbish we know that,but when all said and done the fish pass on each tide,ok a few get eaten by seals,that is a natural thing not man made,ok the barrage is man made,but this is sort of expected in a tidal river with such a big blockage stuck there. It is a man made situation due to it not being a natural barrier. Anyway, Seals aren't mentioned other than the deterrents being trialed.

If you ask me i would say yes it is very nice and sweet what you are all dong but IMO it is going absolutely no where,you lot ain't the first people to sit at meetings trying to explain to them,bet you are all sat there sometimes thinking you are talking to a brick wall. Probably not but we'll get nowhere if we all think like that.

I would personally hassle them to clean up streams that flow to the Tees and unblock weirs etc. The Barrage has nothing to do with the tribs so it isn't included.

As asking them for a counter is like trying to get blood from a stone. I disagree. A counter would be far less money than any modification would be & if what you say is correct regarding there's nothing wrong with the barrage then a counter would back that up rather than changing something. That supposedly doesn't need fixing in the first place.

Asking for a Seal,otter,bird cull sets a bad standard and give anglers a bad name in the E/A (Vegan Society). Again, not mentioned.

Other than the Barrage area and past Broken Scar fish sightings are thin on the ground and always will be unless fishers get out there and fish it.So still they is nothing to defend what we are all saying as no body seems to be fishing the river between Stockton and Broken scar-the main areas where fish will be when the river is low like this. That's culture for you and takes a long time to change. Unless you show people a large amount of fish are actually in the river then people would fish it. Which as said previously is our aim.

I really hope it works but from where im sat you are all expecting miracles and it seems that you are all pointing them in the wrong direction. We really aren't expecting anything. We are trying to help make the Tees a better Salmon river.

Wrong direction? We can't force people to fish it so how else do you get people to fish it? & as above the tees trust has done some fantastic work on the tribs which is done by primarily by volunteers so we can only praise them for their effots.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Image 1 in my fotos is down from sockburn, down from girsby bridge,image 2 is Low dinsdale Yarm aisalby back road as seen by the bend in the image?
i didnt know about the other weir inbetween girsby and over dinsdale (fish locks) infact chris my dad has sent that to you before via facebook

View attachment 31159

View attachment 31160

infact they is only a few fields that separate the two from each other? small fotos but still?

Aye, that’s them. As the crow flies there’s not much between them but there’s 5 or so miles of river. There is also an old Roman Ford at the end of Church Lane in Middleton St George, right at the bottom of the hill, it’s pretty shallw all across there.

I think there’s a footpath or bridleway which goes over the bridge by the fishlocks weir. Check Bing Maps because they have an Ordnance Survey layer (OS are the best maps in the world- fact).

If you do a web search for Sockburn Salmon Weir or Fish Locks you should see references going back a few hundred years. Like you say, really interesting place. No idea who has the Fish Locks fishing but if it’s a club there’ll be some signs around.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Tees

Aye, that’s them. As the crow flies there’s not much between them but there’s 5 or so miles of river. There is also an old Roman Ford at the end of Church Lane in Middleton St George, right at the bottom of the hill, it’s pretty shallw all across there.

I think there’s a footpath or bridleway which goes over the bridge by the fishlocks weir. Check Bing Maps because they have an Ordnance Survey layer (OS are the best maps in the world- fact).

If you do a web search for Sockburn Salmon Weir or Fish Locks you should see references going back a few hundred years. Like you say, really interesting place. No idea who has the Fish Locks fishing but if it’s a club there’ll be some signs around.

A mate of mine has some water at Middleton one row and he has had fish but only when the Tees has been up,he has seen odd fish in the past but not many,and he spends TIME on the water,not too say they are round the corner in another stretch,but he rarely see them.

As for the post Chris sorry if i came across harsh,but i don't see any sort of progress happening fast,seems that they are drawing the project out so in the end we may get bored and wide birth it altogether.
I have now read through the Doc you posted and on paper it all sounds hunky dory but in the real world the salmon are being eaten,they can't be located by anglers,fishermen or any one from the E/A OR RIVER TRUSTS,The same fish are living in an estuary that still needs attention,all the becks that flow to the Tees are grossly polluted,the River skerne although may be cleaner these days but its still not getting runs after all these years,Billingham beck is blocked and runs diff colours each day around portrack area,Lustrum beck is a pure sh*t hole and runs directly to the Tees near A19 fly over and again that's blocked.

We in here have all said in the past that nowt is getting done fast and it isn't ! asking for the things we have asked for has done nothing but only arrange meetings etc that seem on the outside to be going no where?
Why do other rivers that are just starting to come back to life getting more attention than the Tees?
Why hasn't the Leven a major low down trib of the Tess got a 'excuse' for a fish pass? after all these years ST still get stranded at Leven bank (cross keys)
So the two becks,the Skerne and the Leven thats is four tribs that need attention, ok 3 of them will only ever support Sea Trout but still.....

The Tees doesnt like any other river in the uk need new laws,after all said and done it seems that the rivers are being run on a 'Micky Mouse' budget by people who don't seem to have the very first clue,or are the holding back the historical info? either way lots of things they say are based on calculations only not on field work.
The reps they have at these meeting including the fishers are new to the game so that is really how it is deep down,some of the members who attend these groups are biast when it comes to methods of fishing and the right to keep fish for the pot....
What do i think,more stringent laws to come and less fishing time spent by fishers as the advertisements for the Tees ain't what you would call appealing.
The reports that come in with regards to Tees catches are virtually none existent,because anglers don't fish the right areas at the right times of the year and when the fish are well into the system the fish still go unreported for what ever reason ie greed and clubs banning the anglers from advertising the fact they have caught fish where ever in the Tees catchment.

So they is no date for a counter install then? surprising :wow: Broken scar may be a good candidate but im betting we don't see a counter install within the next few years maybe 5 years plus if they decide to spend money.Get the becks opened up so the fish can at least have a chance to run them,put a counter on the leven that is easy and will count everything unless god floods the river as they's no way the fish can ever pass that dam in any sort of water,but that pipe thing could be tweaked, its plastic after all,odd Sea Trout have been making it to Hutton Rudby and Great ayton areas etc so there is a good starting point,two good becks that run to the tidal Tees,the Leven the first of the freshwater tribs once tidal but no longer,the Skerne in the middle section of the river a very important part of the Tees and yet in 2018 the Skere isnt what you would call perfect.

So we have salmon spawning in the Tees odd st make it past leven bank,nowt hardly gets past billingham beck ive heard of odd reports of odd st over all the years running billingham beck and making as far as station road norton,or maybe beyond up to whitton and stillington i dont know,but either way it is a perfect place for sea trout to spawn,same goes for all of them mentioned.

The Skerne from sedgefield all the way down to its confluence with the Tees is a perfect little river for bot salmon and sea trout and yet they hardly run it? that it self is not right ! If it were a Humber river dams would be blown up and removed etc but not on the Tees system.after what nearly 40 years of Tees salmon returning-30 years in the eyes of the E/A and CRT.

teesfisher

Reaction score
Leve n bridge

There is actually a fish pass on the weir at Leven Bridge, it was built around 2010 ish. Salmon and sea trout do regularly migrate into the middle Leven - the first salmon par was caught i think in 2012.

The Skerne also has a fish pass on South Park weir, which was built in 1995. The main problem with the Skerne is poor in river habitat and poor land use affecting spawning availability.

Stivy

Reaction score
If you ask me i would say yes it is very nice and sweet what you are all dong but IMO it is going absolutely no where,you lot ain't the first people to sit at meetings trying to explain to them,bet you are all sat there sometimes thinking you are talking to a brick wall. Probably not but we'll get nowhere if we all think like that.

This answer from Chris is also how I feel. Yes, the whole situation is frustrating and the temptation is to give up and just hope something happens. But, we have to keep pecking away at them and try our best to achieve something. We are dealing with large organisations and there are some like-minded and passionate people in them but equally I suspect there are a number of box tickers who just go through the motions of doing their job. So we concentrate on persuading the like-minded and passionate people to achieve something.

Bear in mind that in the meeting that we organised, the EA was not present and everyone was able to speak freely and openly. I felt that we started a process and we should keep on trying to improve the situation.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Pass

There is actually a fish pass on the weir at Leven Bridge, it was built around 2010 ish. Salmon and sea trout do regularly migrate into the middle Leven - the first salmon par was caught i think in 2012.

The Skerne also has a fish pass on South Park weir, which was built in 1995. The main problem with the Skerne is poor in river habitat and poor land use affecting spawning availability.

Yes of course they is a fish pass but only just,for the first few years after its install it was blocked and had moved and all it is is a simple pipe effective yes i know,fish pass or excuse for a fish pass.That still doesnt get away from the fact that Lustrum beck,Billingham beck and the lower Skerne all need attention.Yes Sea Trout get over Leven bank weir,but they thin on the ground and always have been due to the size and incline from the weir.
Salmon as far as my dad knows don't ever run the leven,unless some one can prove different,this was the cases well before the pass was installed and well before the Tees barrage was even thought about,salmon run the skerne and billingham beck,sea trout could easy run lustrum and billingham beck as both becks could easily cater st,billingham beck is the one that had all its pools wiped out between wynyard beck that flows into it near bottle hill woods,by some farmer but within the drop of a hat the e/a could easily get that put back right two good pools now 10 foot wide they were fishable with a fly rod before that.
Fish have made is as far as catkill woods near sadberge where they did the rspca tv show,salmon that is.
whitton area part of billingham beck lets in raw sewage and this can be noticed looking at water quality throughout the stream all the way to billigham where it then meets the tidal part of the beck and that flows many diff colours through the day or cycle of a tide yellow is its most common colour like a sandy yellow-its now 2018 ! for crying outa loud and becks are still in that sort of condition and the only worry that fisher seem to have is with seals otters and birds....
Theys is more important things to worry about,IMO i think that the lower Tees isnt in what we could call a near perfect state so perhaps lets get the lower river and tidal and even freshwater tribs looked after then surely that will have a knock on effect with the rest of the river cleaner waters equal more fish esp in the dead streams and becks.
But im sure lots of more time will be wasted chasing a fish counter or a seal/otter/bird cull in the name of sport.The name of conservation sounds better as the people who runs these meeting are conservationists not hunters or pest control experts.
Either way its been years and years and the underlying problems still exist with the barrage and fish passage,nowt is getting done quick that is all im saying and theys more important things to be contending with at the minute,surely water quality is way more important than a fish counter on broken scar weir,Yes if it happens nice we appreciate that but how ever the rest of the river never gets a mention and lets face it clean water is the name of the game.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Shed Loads

The barrage today was jammed with ST loads and loads of them,the biggest ones were in the 6-8lb bracket maybe a little bigger.No Salmon were seen,but the amount of ST running was amazing for the Tees.

I didn't see and havn't seen now for a few seasons anything go over the gates when dropped,are they actually using the gates or not? the white water course wasn't switched on today and that resulted in the 'No Flow' situation in the canoe slalom,so if the canoe slalom was blocked today as far as fish passage was concerned that's not a good thing' so today the fish had access to the gate that was dropped but ive yet to see a single fish take it.The canoe side wasnt switched on and the fish wern't able to make it past that part of the barrage area,as one of the ramps was up and nothing seemed to be flowing over,the lock entrance gate is still locked to the point that nothing can pass,SO what is going on? i thought they were supposed to be opening the lock gates to let the fish past? or making some contraption to only allow the fish to pass and no seals?

But the fish are still pushing through that's the main thing.They wasnt many seals today and hasnt been for a good while now them 2 big seals were there today,but i suspect as more fish start to turn up so too will the seals.

Last edited:

teesfisher

Reaction score
River Leven

Yes of course they is a fish pass but only just,for the first few years after its install it was blocked and had moved and all it is is a simple pipe effective yes i know,fish pass or excuse for a fish pass.That still doesnt get away from the fact that Lustrum beck,Billingham beck and the lower Skerne all need attention.Yes Sea Trout get over Leven bank weir,but they thin on the ground and always have been due to the size and incline from the weir.
Salmon as far as my dad knows don't ever run the leven,unless some one can prove different,this was the cases well before the pass was installed and well before the Tees barrage was even thought about,salmon run the skerne and billingham beck,sea trout could easy run lustrum and billingham beck as both becks could easily cater st,billingham beck is the one that had all its pools wiped out between wynyard beck that flows into it near bottle hill woods,by some farmer but within the drop of a hat the e/a could easily get that put back right two good pools now 10 foot wide they were fishable with a fly rod before that.
Fish have made is as far as catkill woods near sadberge where they did the rspca tv show,salmon that is.
whitton area part of billingham beck lets in raw sewage and this can be noticed looking at water quality throughout the stream all the way to billigham where it then meets the tidal part of the beck and that flows many diff colours through the day or cycle of a tide yellow is its most common colour like a sandy yellow-its now 2018 ! for crying outa loud and becks are still in that sort of condition and the only worry that fisher seem to have is with seals otters and birds....
Theys is more important things to worry about,IMO i think that the lower Tees isnt in what we could call a near perfect state so perhaps lets get the lower river and tidal and even freshwater tribs looked after then surely that will have a knock on effect with the rest of the river cleaner waters equal more fish esp in the dead streams and becks.
But im sure lots of more time will be wasted chasing a fish counter or a seal/otter/bird cull in the name of sport.The name of conservation sounds better as the people who runs these meeting are conservationists not hunters or pest control experts.
Either way its been years and years and the underlying problems still exist with the barrage and fish passage,nowt is getting done quick that is all im saying and theys more important things to be contending with at the minute,surely water quality is way more important than a fish counter on broken scar weir,Yes if it happens nice we appreciate that but how ever the rest of the river never gets a mention and lets face it clean water is the name of the game.
Junior, I suggest you go and have a look at Leven Bridge fish pass - it is a proper Larinier fish pass, built of concrete with stay less baffles, designed to pass coarse fish, so salmon and sea trout would have no problem. As for no salmon in the Leven well that just plain wrong. I seem to remember a piece in the local press sometime ago when the EA caught salmon part at Hutton Rudby.

Ian Alex

Reaction score
Tees System

A mate of mine has some water at Middleton one row and he has had fish but only when the Tees has been up,he has seen odd fish in the past but not many,and he spends TIME on the water,not too say they are round the corner in another stretch,but he rarely see them.

As for the post Chris sorry if i came across harsh,but i don't see any sort of progress happening fast,seems that they are drawing the project out so in the end we may get bored and wide birth it altogether.
I have now read through the Doc you posted and on paper it all sounds hunky dory but in the real world the salmon are being eaten,they can't be located by anglers,fishermen or any one from the E/A OR RIVER TRUSTS,The same fish are living in an estuary that still needs attention,all the becks that flow to the Tees are grossly polluted,the River skerne although may be cleaner these days but its still not getting runs after all these years,Billingham beck is blocked and runs diff colours each day around portrack area,Lustrum beck is a pure sh*t hole and runs directly to the Tees near A19 fly over and again that's blocked.

We in here have all said in the past that nowt is getting done fast and it isn't ! asking for the things we have asked for has done nothing but only arrange meetings etc that seem on the outside to be going no where?
Why do other rivers that are just starting to come back to life getting more attention than the Tees?
Why hasn't the Leven a major low down trib of the Tess got a 'excuse' for a fish pass? after all these years ST still get stranded at Leven bank (cross keys)
So the two becks,the Skerne and the Leven thats is four tribs that need attention, ok 3 of them will only ever support Sea Trout but still.....

The Tees doesnt like any other river in the uk need new laws,after all said and done it seems that the rivers are being run on a 'Micky Mouse' budget by people who don't seem to have the very first clue,or are the holding back the historical info? either way lots of things they say are based on calculations only not on field work.
The reps they have at these meeting including the fishers are new to the game so that is really how it is deep down,some of the members who attend these groups are biast when it comes to methods of fishing and the right to keep fish for the pot....
What do i think,more stringent laws to come and less fishing time spent by fishers as the advertisements for the Tees ain't what you would call appealing.
The reports that come in with regards to Tees catches are virtually none existent,because anglers don't fish the right areas at the right times of the year and when the fish are well into the system the fish still go unreported for what ever reason ie greed and clubs banning the anglers from advertising the fact they have caught fish where ever in the Tees catchment.

So they is no date for a counter install then? surprising :wow: Broken scar may be a good candidate but im betting we don't see a counter install within the next few years maybe 5 years plus if they decide to spend money.Get the becks opened up so the fish can at least have a chance to run them,put a counter on the leven that is easy and will count everything unless god floods the river as they's no way the fish can ever pass that dam in any sort of water,but that pipe thing could be tweaked, its plastic after all,odd Sea Trout have been making it to Hutton Rudby and Great ayton areas etc so there is a good starting point,two good becks that run to the tidal Tees,the Leven the first of the freshwater tribs once tidal but no longer,the Skerne in the middle section of the river a very important part of the Tees and yet in 2018 the Skere isnt what you would call perfect.

So we have salmon spawning in the Tees odd st make it past leven bank,nowt hardly gets past billingham beck ive heard of odd reports of odd st over all the years running billingham beck and making as far as station road norton,or maybe beyond up to whitton and stillington i dont know,but either way it is a perfect place for sea trout to spawn,same goes for all of them mentioned.

The Skerne from sedgefield all the way down to its confluence with the Tees is a perfect little river for bot salmon and sea trout and yet they hardly run it? that it self is not right ! If it were a Humber river dams would be blown up and removed etc but not on the Tees system.after what nearly 40 years of Tees salmon returning-30 years in the eyes of the E/A and CRT.

I agree with you, clean water should be a priority everywhere. There's a lot of bad water still entering the Tees everyday, even worse now we have a drought situation going on.

I had a walk along the Skerne below Darlington, as I was told there were some Kingfisher's in residence, and I did see one, but couldn't get a picture. My impression then of the Skerne, full of junk, old shopping trolley's, old electrical devices. Also it's heavily silted up. Basically people use it as a dumping ground for trash. It's clean enough through Darlington, but in some places it runs less than a foot deep. The Russel Street weir is easily passable should any unfortunate fish be taking this River. In all honesty it needs a lot of tender care, I haven't seen any recent analysis of water samples from the Skerne.

Many of the feeders for the Skerne have water of dubious quality; for instance the Cocker Beck. The Cocker Beck used to have quite a lot of small fish such as Sticklebacks, but these days it looks lifeless to me.

The Baydale beck which enters the Tees above Broken scar , well frankly I think it's in a disgusting state. I could go on and on, but that's enough to get the picture. Storm Drain on the Cocker Beck, Brinkburn Denes. IMG_20171106_142532731_HDR.jpg

A new report based on testing on Water sampling on the River Exe, suggests most of our river's have high levels of Pesticides and Herbicides, which of course enter the food chain both in the river and out at sea. No doubting the fact that Agricultural use of Chemicals is affecting Water Quality.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Thanks Grassy!
I just love the look of the Tees, there's so many beautiful parts to it.
Do you know who owns the fishing to these or does anyone fish it?

Sorry Chris, just seen this

Sockburn is Thornaby but not sure who has the Fishlocks Weir, I think that’s too far downstream for the Thornaby water.

Hurworth, not sure, probably good trout water but not sure it will hold Salmon but there’s a steep bank down to the river by the Green in Hurworth so may be some deep water further upstream.

Low Middleton Weir, not sure again, the farmer on the south bank ( right, York’s) used to own the land on the north (left, Durham) bank too. You could do worse than drive down and known on the door. Can’t remember his name a school mates dad used to know them.

I’d also recommend an OS map and a walk of the banks, if there’s no signs then the landowner still has it, if there are then u know where to knock, they can only say ‘no’.

Wilkie

Reaction score
Image.jpg This is the map of Thornaby waters. I think Richmond and district angling club has the south bank, not sure if there web site is up to date.

Last edited:

Dalnashaugh

Reaction score
View attachment 31197 This is the map of Thornaby waters. I think Richmond and district angling club has the south bank, not sure if there web site is up to date.

As the map says this is "ATDAC" (Association of Teesside & District Angling Clubs) water, not Thornaby. ATDAC is an amalgamation of 4 local clubs - Thornaby, Stockton. Yarm and Darlington Brown Trout. In addition to the Sockburn water, ATDAC also owns about 3 miles of the right bank at Over Dinsdale, down to below Middleton one Row, as well as 3 miles of right bank fishing from Piercebridge road bridge downstream.

Stockton Angling Ltd have the left bank from just below Middleton one Row down to about a quarter of a mile below Low Middleton gauging weir.

The cost of membership of any of these 4 clubs is extremely reasonable considering the amount of fishing you get -- as an example, the club I'm involved with ( Stockton ) has annual subs including access to all the ATDAC waters of £50 and the other clubs are similarly priced.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Leven Bank

Junior, I suggest you go and have a look at Leven Bridge fish pass - it is a proper Larinier fish pass, built of concrete with stay less baffles, designed to pass coarse fish, so salmon and sea trout would have no problem. As for no salmon in the Leven well that just plain wrong. I seem to remember a piece in the local press sometime ago when the EA caught salmon part at Hutton Rudby.

Well to be very fair it has been a while since i have stopped at Leven bank,but they did at first have a pipe tube temp pass in place,as for the Hutton Rudby thing you could be right,how ever my father says that in the 38 years he has fished it he has never ever seen a Salmon,now and back when it was tidal,Sea Trout yes Salmon no ! that isn't too say that Salmon some how havn't entered the Leven and made their way up,buts Salmon in the Leven ain't the norm for the Leven.

Hutton rudby AC or syndacate helped/worked with i think the E/A unblocking and repairing fish passes on the Leven and some other trib as Sea Trout smolts had been caught in that area perhaps that is the story .....

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Interesting read

Sea trout return to the River Leven after a century of absence - GOV.UK

Got my dates slightly wrong, but deffo mentions a salmon being caught

Interesting indeed.
This bit

Rod catch data show a significant rise in salmon and sea trout on the Tees since the early 1990s. It is predicted that the Tees rod catch will meet its catch target of 485 rod caught fish by about early to mid 2020s if it follows the same pattern of recovery as the Tyne and Wear.

Well that sounds a positive to me,and not what they seem to be saying these days,some where in there it says that Sea Trout have been caught for the first time in so many years wow that shows how much they take note of the yearly fish counts per rod license.......Sea Trout were getting reported back when it was tidal in the early 80s and now they say they here after so many years ! so declaration of sea trout returns from the 1980s seem to have been over looked some how? They are there every single season and have been since at least 1980....they nothing new, but new to any where past cross keys.Now they can pass that is a good thing.

They used to bank up at the houses side of the weir where the mesh/rocks is at the very side,they used to hold there in huge numbers all stacked together,but it is better they get over after being blocked for god knows how long,all we need now is the likes of the skerne,billingham beck,and maybe lustrum beck as it has some ok water good enough from portrack where the tidal bit ends all the way past holme house and from there so swainby road would be very fishable then all the way past newtown to oxbridge and then to the six fields then to Elton,all of that water is more than ideal for at least sea trout,better than billingham beck in many ways,billingham beck is wider and deeper in the tidal bit but lacks depth and pools in the bit past billingham but could still support a sea trout population,of sea trout can spawn in new brancepeth durham they can spawn anywhere,and we have better suited streams-no offence to the wear of course.

teesfisher

Reaction score
Billingham beck

The upper reaches of both Billingham back and Greatham back has good spawning areas IF sea trout could get there. Not really suitable for salmon though. Lustrum beck, not so sure about - gradient is a bit low for salmos really but you never know. Langley (Grant ) beck up from Gainford and past Staindrop would be good - has a small run of salmon and sea trout, but there's too much silt clogging the gravels for it to really take off.