River Tees 2018

C

cgaines10

Something like the below needs to be done. They identified that the pass wasn't effective and they have sorted it out. What has been done at the barrage? Faults identified but we'll just continue to do surveys year on year :batty:

Ballard Locks

Fish ladder

Attraction water is visible in two places in this photo; the lower part of the fish ladder snakes around the diffuser well.

Fish ladder viewing room.

View from above of the part of the fish ladder over the viewing room.
The fish ladder at the Chittenden locks is unusual—materials published by the federal government say "unique"—in being located where salt and fresh water meet. Normally, fish ladders are located entirely within fresh water.[8]:2

Pacific salmon are anadromous; they hatch in lakes, rivers, and streams—or, nowadays fish hatcheries—migrate to sea, and only at the end of their life return to fresh water to spawn. When the Corps of Engineers first built the locks and dam, they changed the natural drainage route of Lake Washington. The locks and dam blocked all salmon runs out of the Cedar River watershed. To correct this problem, the Corps built a fish ladder as the locks were constructed to allow salmon to pass around the locks and dam.[8]:2

The ladder was designed to use attraction water: fresh water flowing swiftly out the bottom of the fish ladder, in the direction opposite which anadromous fish migrate at the end of their lives. However, the attraction water from this first ladder was not effective. Instead, most salmon used the locks. This made them an easy target for predators; also, many were injured by hitting the walls and gates of the locks, or by hitting boat propellers.[8]:2

The Corps rebuilt the fish ladder in 1976 by increasing the flow of attraction water and adding more weirs: most weirs are now one foot higher than the previous one. The old fish ladder had only 10 "steps"; the new one has 21. A diffuser well mixes salt water gradually into the last 10 weirs. As a part of the rebuilding, the Corps also added an underground chamber with a viewing gallery.[4]:8[8]:2, 6

The fish approaching the ladder smell the attraction water, recognizing the scent of Lake Washington and its tributaries. They enter the ladder, and either jump over each of the 21 weirs or swim though tunnel-like openings. They exit the ladder into the fresh water of Salmon Bay. They continue following the waterway to the lake, river, or stream where they were born. Once there, the females lay eggs, which the males fertilize. Most salmon die shortly after spawning.[8]:2–3

The offspring remain in the fresh water until they are ready to migrate to the ocean as smolts. In a few years, the surviving adults return, climb the fish ladder, and reach their spawning ground to continue the life cycle.[8]:3 Of the millions of young fish born, only a relative few survive to adulthood. Causes of death include natural predators, commercial and sport fishing, disease, low stream flows, poor water quality, flooding, and concentrated developments along streams and lakes.[8]:4

It wont let me attach the photos for some reason?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
pass

Chris with some image formats you sometimes have to use a 3rd party like photobucket or flkr? Try changing the format by opening with another application for example paint if you use windows.Or maybe change is it the attributes in properties changing it from say Jpeg to gig-tiff what ever.

So if all those fish made it yesterday which i assume the did do,they must surely be where they supposed to be in say two days maybe,if they don't turn up in No 1 first stopping holding pool and we know for a fact they never ever rest above the barrage and Yarm.where are they? or is it possible that the fish head back down? does the counter count down counts as well as up and what do the canals trust or E/A say about the % of fish that come back down past the gates and go to another river? or is this little bit of info kept hush as if they do come back down and head for another river well that surely says that the freshwater between the barrage and Yarm must have some sort of problem.Like lack of flow at the very best of times,even more so now while it has been dry.

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Was that about 2 years ago by any chance? dad seems to remember walking across the far bank showing somebody where and when.?

Was around one year ago.. I had asked on the forum ( tees thread ) about the best times to be at the barrage with the chance of seeing fish, it was your dad who replied with some information and the tide time table and when to get myself there, the chap I met couldn't have been any nicer and went out his way to show and tell me thing's

C

cgaines10

The box just won't let me select the image, the format is ok. I'll try it from my phone.

No, it doesn't count them going down. Hence, why we don't know much about smolts going to sea. At least the games dropping now will be benefiting them hugely.

C

cgaines10

Lake_Washington_Ship_Canal_Fish_Ladder_pamphlet_-_The_fish_ladder_in_profile.jpg

The fish ladder in profile. The actual fish ladder makes several right angle turns, which are not reflected in this diagram. The pamphlet shows the height of each weir. The last three weirs are adjustable to the level of Salmon Bay. Salt water is mixed with fresh water by the diffuser well in weirs indicated here by a darker gray. The longest weir in the ladder is for the viewing window.

1280px-Chittenden_Locks_-_entrance_to_the_fish_ladder.jpg

Attraction water is visible in two places in this photo; the lower part of the fish ladder snakes around the diffuser well.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
The old man went back today and never even got a cast in! he did see more Sea Trout today than Salmon so the count goes like this.he seen about 20 odd Sea Trout mostly small fish to about 5LBs and seen one or two bigger fish.As for Salmon he seen 4 fish only,one of them was a massive fish he says somewhere in the region of a good bottom end 20 odd Lb fish,he seen that big fish just as he took the rod down.The fish today were flighty and the lock gates were opened 3 times to let boats out and in.The fish wern't having it and were quite far out and coming past fast.So looks like it has been good news for yesterdays fish :D

C

cgaines10

Good information below regarding fish pass locations. Points out the issues with ours & backs up that due to it's position it needs more attracting flow.

Fish pass location 2.JPG

fish pass locations.JPG

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Drizzle

It has been drizzling here in not so sunny Teesside this morning,proper drizzle not actual real rain.Maybe the start if things to come.
All those fish the other day down the BARRAGE chris seem to have well gone,the old feller was out early doors working somewhere past worsal area,so you know what he is like cannot drive past any sort of running water with stopping for a look,he soon got distracted from graft and ended up walking the banks of the Tees yorkshire side of the river,he said he seen a few fish moving about in some shallow water near a bit of a cascading rapid,where he ahs suspected that fish may hold when it is like this - low plus the place has a history of good spring fishing when the lower tees was grossly polluted and well before the barrage was built-that was in the 80s when according to the E/A the Tees had no salmon.
All the fish that pass the barrage ain't got a hope in hell of getting out this pool in low water like this,but they should have been a hell of a lot more than what he seen.So where are they,was these fish lucky to be there or had some managed to get out the pool and upriver towards sockburn area perhaps-sockburn will be the next place we both look,not been before dad says its a stunning place surrounded by lots of history ie conyer family etc so very much looking forward to it.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
It has been drizzling here in not so sunny Teesside this morning,proper drizzle not actual real rain.Maybe the start if things to come.
All those fish the other day down the BARRAGE chris seem to have well gone,the old feller was out early doors working somewhere past worsal area,so you know what he is like cannot drive past any sort of running water with stopping for a look,he soon got distracted from graft and ended up walking the banks of the Tees yorkshire side of the river,he said he seen a few fish moving about in some shallow water near a bit of a cascading rapid,where he ahs suspected that fish may hold when it is like this - low plus the place has a history of good spring fishing when the lower tees was grossly polluted and well before the barrage was built-that was in the 80s when according to the E/A the Tees had no salmon.
All the fish that pass the barrage ain't got a hope in hell of getting out this pool in low water like this,but they should have been a hell of a lot more than what he seen.So where are they,was these fish lucky to be there or had some managed to get out the pool and upriver towards sockburn area perhaps-sockburn will be the next place we both look,not been before dad says its a stunning place surrounded by lots of history ie conyer family etc so very much looking forward to it.

JF, can you ask your dad about Sockburn Pool?

Is he talking about the pool by the old Fish Locks @ Fish Locks House, or is he talking about the long, deep pool on the other side of the bend, to the SW of Sockburn Hall?

The hall was for sale a few years ago, not a bad price either, but probably a money pit.

Thanks

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Fish locks

JF, can you ask your dad about Sockburn Pool?

Is he talking about the pool by the old Fish Locks @ Fish Locks House, or is he talking about the long, deep pool on the other side of the bend, to the SW of Sockburn Hall?

The hall was for sale a few years ago, not a bad price either, but probably a money pit.

Thanks

By the sounds yes if that is the pool behind the now closed church,dad as you may know night fishers more than day fishers and has never ever been there through the day,was a old haunt for late night metal detecting once over for him and a few of his mates,but this is where the old scots bailiff who worked for the Northumbrian water authority used to catch spring salmon and has always been well known that it holds fish back when the water is at these levels.He says they is also another half decent pool/runner further down not too far if you come in from Girsby way on,go over the same footbridge at the bottom of the bank but go down river instead,if ever you walk down that area it is about a 20-30 minute or so walk down river,you will know it soon as you see it purposely built almost but like said it deos need a rise of water-not much say 6 -8 inches over summer level,odd fish will rest when low as it is below that place he walked this after noon-sorry inbetween there and sockburn.

PS both but behind house he seems to think is the better pool but he maybe wrong as its not a place he has fished that much.

Last edited:
C

cgaines10

Images from google...

Attachments

• pois-image-1793.jpeg
    pois-image-1793.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 1676362048_92858f876e_b.jpg
    1676362048_92858f876e_b.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 210
  • 4559734031_7d87ed0c4c_b.jpg
    4559734031_7d87ed0c4c_b.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 206

rockhopper

Reaction score
Don’t thornaby club have the fishing there ? I’ve never actually fished it mesell, I do remember the rules stated , when fishing there you have to walk around with the rod tip high to show the locals what your there for haha .

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
water

Don’t thornaby club have the fishing there ? I’ve never actually fished it mesell, I do remember the rules stated , when fishing there you have to walk around with the rod tip high to show the locals what your there for haha .

Might be the association water Dave maybe darlo brown trout has water aswell

Ellis350

Reaction score
Yes, Darlo Brown Trout also. Fished there last year a couple of times. Was course fishing but screamed S & ST territory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilkie

Reaction score

Yes Thornaby angling club has water beginning south east of the old derelict church north bank i am a member.not been there yet.

Last edited:
C

cgaines10

Looks a lovely stretch to be fair like a lot of the Tees from BS upwards. We just need more rods on the river & a bit of confidence.

Fish are turning up in bunches now I'm told by staff at the Barrage, I'm looking forward to wetting a line this time home & hopefully i'll have a Tees salmon to show for it.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Places For Salmon

Looks a lovely stretch to be fair like a lot of the Tees from BS upwards. We just need more rods on the river & a bit of confidence.

Fish are turning up in bunches now I'm told by staff at the Barrage, I'm looking forward to wetting a line this time home & hopefully i'll have a Tees salmon to show for it.

Well it is number one stopping point for them after the barrage,so next season all members who have tickets for there should be fishing it especially in the first three months of the season.As ITS the norm for any river and the Tees is just that. when new fish enter during February they ain't going to be up near Barnard castle :thumb:
All that precious Salmon fishing time wasted on club waters upriver for what? nothing what so ever to show and lets me very honest it is expected - catching nowt past Broken Scar in Feb,March and April.

The fish have actually been arriving now since late MAY these fish that are being seen by the staff are when the staff go out side for a ciggy or a daft walk,so they not seeing everything,I don't trust a word any single one of them say,what they post or pass on im taking with a pinch of salt,as ok they might work there but they don't know sh*t !
The lad who gets the crabs from the tires told dad that he been seeing fish nearly each tide since April and its always low water when he can get down the bank to check the boolas for crab..some one is wrong some one is right

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Yes Thornaby angling club has water beginning south east of the old derelict church north bank i am a member.not been there yet.

They used to have all the way round the horseshoe bend on the North (left) bank, from up towards Neasham to downstream of Sockburn Hall. It used to be pretty nice water from about 7 o clock on the bend all the way round past the house.

The Fish Locks are further downstream of Sockburn Hall, to the North. The houses are marked as ‘Fish Locks House’ on OS Maps. I’m not sure who has the fishing there where the old Weir is.

C

cgaines10

Just having a browse on google maps and these pools look cracking!

Attachments

• Sockburn.JPG
    Sockburn.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 186
  • Hurworth.JPG
    Hurworth.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Over dinsdale.JPG
    Over dinsdale.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 206

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Just having a browse on google maps and these pools look cracking!

Cheers Chris

The last one is the Road Bridge at Over Dinsdale, worth a look in low water right now because you'll see that the flow is concentrated towards the left bank and goes between the bridge footings, it always looked like a place a fish might stop and I did more than a few hours down there with the 13ft Cordon Bleu to no avail. The weir looks like the one at Low Dinsdale on the Aisalby road, mid-way between Middleton One Row and Worsall, spent a bit of time there at night, we used to camp in the woods. Heard some splashing but never saw a fish take the wier. There is bridleway access from the road where it takes a sharp left hand bend right on Durham / Cleveland border. Again, very different at low water and the ford is probably still used by the Farmer. The other one is the Bridge at the east end of Hurworth looking upstream.

Last edited:

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Weir

Cheers Chris

The last one is the Road Bridge at Over Dinsdale, worth a look in low water right now because you'll see that the flow is concentrated towards the left bank and goes between the bridge footings, it always looked like a place a fish might stop and I did more than a few hours down there with the 13ft Cordon Bleu to no avail. The weir looks like the one at Low Dinsdale on the Aisalby road, mid-way between Middleton One Row and Worsall, spent a bit of time there at night, we used to camp in the woods. Heard some splashing but never saw a fish take the wier. There is bridleway access from the road where it takes a sharp left hand bend right on Durham / Cleveland border. Again, very different at low water and the ford is probably still used by the Farmer. The other one is the Bridge at the east end of Hurworth looking upstream.

Having looked again in wiki-mapia it is down from Sockburn hall and down from the bridge at the bottom of Girsby bank,above Low Dinsdale bridge.
That run on the left bank you are on about doesn't hold any Sea Trout or Salmon in low water,but if you walk slightly up stream from the bridge they is a pool with a big rock near the top of the pool,that holds the fish but when the water is dropping off,but the fish ain't anywhere else below there so they must be getting past.
Once past there the next obstruction is the weir in Image No 1.
Never ever been to that weir, and don't know how i have missed it,who has the fishing rights does anybody know?
It isn't the one on the Aisalby back road where the bend/Durham/Cleveland border is,that is further down Image 1 is fish locks
Image two is Low disndale.

Screenshot from 2018-07-17 23-46-50.jpg

Screenshot from 2018-07-17 23-45-05.jpg

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant worth a look to see what it looks like in low water, there’s about 2ft on it in the Brudge photo and probably similar in the others.

That Weir is low Dinsdale, or Low Middleton as I should have said, bet u 50p;).

There’s a bit of water on, but that’s the weir. The photo is taken standing up at the top of the track which leads down to the Ford.

Clearly fish go through it, I just never saw any. I’m sure watching the right time after a tide would produce results nowadays though.