River Tees 2018

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Live And Let Live.

I recommend you don't waste your life on bitterness Junior,

Think of this, my old man went through two World Wars and had to work over 80 hours a week running a power station and turbine-manufacturing plant in World War 11 and was paid in War Bonds. I hardly saw him until I was c 10 when he took me up to Ness, Tay and Conon to learn fishing. I never heard him complain other than he had a protected occupation and could not get in the Royal Navy as an engineer. My X-mas toys as a kid were made from scrap wood. My first fishing rod was part of a tank aerial with a greenheart top. That's really living. Kiss and make up - it's for the best. r

Folk post on these sites and often don't see the damage, I'm sure that is the case here. Tight Lines

I have no problem with Ian Alex and since seeing his post saying that his time is now up,i have sent him messages every single day asking him not to leave.But i see he is still an active member so as far as i am concerned lets bury it and start a fresh.So ok ! ive more than done my bit,It was he after all who slagged my father off in the very first place.

Last edited:

rockhopper

Reaction score
I don’t know if anybody seen it but on discovery wild last night there was a show on seals , it was actually a good watch , there was a section on seals moving up the tees chasing the salmon to the barrage . If anybody’s interested it’s defo worth a watch .

C

cgaines10

Oh really? Do you have any details on it & I’ll try and watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockhopper

Reaction score
Oh really? Do you have any details on it & I’ll try and watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been trying to search for it since getting in form graft haha , can I he’ll find what it was called , it was on nat geo wild or discovery channel think it was Monday evening . I shudder bloody recorded it !! I’ve tried to look back on sky but it won’t let me see what was on with the blue -24 hr button . Shame sky doesnt have a history like YouTube. Il keep looking though .

Stivy

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to search for it since getting in form graft haha , can I he’ll find what it was called , it was on nat geo wild or discovery channel think it was Monday evening . I shudder bloody recorded it !! I’ve tried to look back on sky but it won’t let me see what was on with the blue -24 hr button . Shame sky doesnt have a history like YouTube. Il keep looking though .

Was it called "Killer Seals from Scotland"?

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Nrk tv direkte (norway)

They is a series on NRK tv Norway at the minute all about Salmon-fishing and aquaculture.
The only problem is that Virgin media and BT have blocked it from entering the uk as it is a online catch up service.
So to get around that use VPN or manually set a proxy address in network settings.

Screenshot from 2018-07-12 12-01-25.jpg

That says something to the effect of not allowed in the uk/over seas.

So open network settings,then go to this web site

Free Proxy Lists

Check the box at the top left hand side of the page or search for a proxy from NORWAY ONLY Danmark and Sweden dont work.Dont forget to change the port if needed,i prefer to use port 8080 as i trust that port.
Now you could go buy a app to do this but really is they any point when it can be done in less than a minute each time (window that is) if any one tries to ask for hard cash refuse as they ripping you off,sort of selling you fresh air if you like.

I have tried to post the video of the show but the forum wont let me do so ? any ideas anyone as to why not.

PS They is scenes of Salmon being killed for the table and talk of eating Salmon eggs,gaffs are used still in Norway and all is present in the shows-so any one who is squeemish its not for them,also check out the way the norges handle fish ! we now treat fish like Nitroglcerene ! the Norwegians certainly don't and by watching this show people will soon see that Salmon and indeed smolts are very very strong fish.Maybe we here in the uk can adopt some of their techniques.

Hope eveyone enjoys the show,and if for what ever reason you can't connect please ask me and i will be more than happy to post a tutorial or inbox how to connect.

Iphones will maybe follow a same route as Linux and Android IM NOT SURE ABOUT MAC but Android is Linux i think so it can be done with proxy chains using the terminal as root or perhaps cd Desktop.

I will upload the full series and post it on here Via Vimeo or youtube if poss,i would have liked to have posted the file MP4 but the forum doesnt have that facility,well if it does i can't find it anywhere.

Don't go and pay for a VPN that is in the same league as buying fresh air,it can be done for free minus the App and take less than a minute or so,each time.

Last edited:

rockhopper

Reaction score
That looks suspect Chris
It must have been around 8 ish I would have thought , it was about the grey seals like.

C

cgaines10

Apologies, I thought I had posted this earlier on when I mentioned it.

Enjoy.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Salmon

One for the 'Old Feller' this after noon,Salmon around 10-12Lbs,as dad was returning the fish a lad next to him also managed to make a catch a Salmon about 15lbs,dad landed it for him as he had no landing net,dad also had a small ST about 2 Lbs which also went back where it belongs,
He seen a shoal of fish pass a few times just before they let down the gates and they was a few small pods of fish with the shoal but a little behind the main pack of fish.Soon as the gates dropped the fish vanished into thin air ! Most of the fish seen were all about the same size up to 10Lbs or so with odd bigger fish scattered here and there.
Most were Salmon but they was a good presence of ST.

Caught on the fly-orange 10# shrimp pattern-the fly showed up really well as the salt water pushed up and started to clear the upriver freshwater,changing the colour of the water.
The flow seemed to have also changed before the gates were let down and some slick/foam seemed to be coming from the lock entrance.Are they now keeping the lock gates open as was said a few weeks back?

Photo0022.jpg

PS. The shoal he says was a big old shoal of fish a pack or around 50+ fish easily,well he measured the shoal in yards to be fair and says about ten yards long,maybe a touch bigger.The photo doesn't do the fish any justice as the fish was a pure bar off and liced.

C

cgaines10

One for the 'Old Feller' this after noon,Salmon around 10-12Lbs,as dad was returning the fish a lad next to him also managed to make a catch a Salmon about 15lbs,dad landed it for him as he had no landing net,dad also had a small ST about 2 Lbs which also went back where it belongs,
He seen a shoal of fish pass a few times just before they let down the gates and they was a few small pods of fish with the shoal but a little behind the main pack of fish.Soon as the gates dropped the fish vanished into thin air ! Most of the fish seen were all about the same size up to 10Lbs or so with odd bigger fish scattered here and there.

Caught on the fly-orange 10# shrimp pattern-the fly showed up really well as the salt water pushed up and started to clear the upriver freshwater,changing the colour of the water.
The flow seemed to have also changed before the gates were let down and some slick/foam seemed to be coming from the lock entrance.Are they now keeping the lock gates open as was said a few weeks back?

View attachment 31116

PS. The shoal he says was a big old shoal of fish a pack or around 50+ fish easily,well he measured the shoal in yards to be fair and says about ten yards long,maybe a touch bigger.The photo doesn't do the fish any justice as the fish was a pure bar off and liced.

Brilliant! What a fish and it's great to see a picture of it :D

Looking forward to getting out in a few weeks once I'm back home.

salarium

Banned
Reaction score

View attachment 31116

The fish is a fair way off the river in blistering heat If the fish was returned it shouldn't of been removed from the river ! The shopping trolley/fish bass has tipped over ,

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Far Away?

The fish is a fair way off the river in blistering heat If the fish was returned it shouldn't of been removed from the river ! The shopping trolley/fish bass has tipped over ,

Well actually it was around 2 hours before high tide so based on that and the fact that the tides are quite big i would say he ain't as far from the waters edge as you might think,look at the tide mark,perspective plays a part also.
Plus it is never ever a good idea to sit near the waters edge at the barrage with a fish at hand or in this case, in the hands.
The fish swam away after a few seconds of holding it at that waters edge,the photo was taken within a few seconds of the hook being removed and the whole affair of coming out the water and photoed took less than a minute as when dad was playing the fish he was able to hand his phone to a passer by and ask for him to take the photo which he did :D
Safely returned to swim away and tell the tale to all the other Salmon in the Tees :thumb:

Nice fish though considering the heat and low conditions would you agree on that...........:tongue: -against all odds :lol:

My father has only ever lost a hand full of fish over the years through the fish being tired and trust me he caught a few-so i wouldn't worry if i was you :lol: main thing is that it went back and swam away.

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Well done to your old man junior :cool: nice fish
Is that at the corner of the bay that jutts in just down from the barrage?
I was amazed at how close the fish run to the side the first time I went down to the barrage :)

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Thanks

I was amazed at how close the fish run to the side the first time I went down to the barrage :)

Thank you very much for the positive input by the way.
No he caught the fish past the tree towards the barrage gates/lock entrance,they is a manhole cover at the upstream entrance of the beck (Acklam Beck) or Old River Tees,half way from the cover to the end of the foot path.
The reason why the fish hugg the bankside is that 200+ years ago the river took a different course,some say it went as far as HMP Holme House other say ASDA at Portrack Lane,so the barrage area to Portrack bay that's on the canoe side of the river about 500 or so yards down stream,this is where ships and dredgers used to turn around and by the way a hell of a place in very big tides wait till ya see em there run the edges,the fish sit back behind these wooden posts that have been there for years and years,so when the tide is nearly at its highest the fish swim up to the posts and have a little break before they move on.
So that part of the Tees is man made and has lost a good few miles of meandering river to let barges through-back in the day.It saved two weeks sailing !

C

cgaines10

No he caught the fish past the tree towards the barrage gates/lock entrance,they is a manhole cover at the upstream entrance of the beck (Acklam Beck) or Old River Tees,half way from the cover to the end of the foot path.
The reason why the fish hugg the bankside is that 200+ years ago the river took a different course,some say it went as far as HMP Holme House other say ASDA at Portrack Lane,so the barrage area to Portrack bay that's on the canoe side of the river about 500 or so yards down stream,this is where ships and dredgers used to turn around and by the way a hell of a place in very big tides wait till ya see em there run the edges,the fish sit back behind these wooden posts that have been there for years and years,so when the tide is nearly at its highest the fish swim up to the posts and have a little break before they move on.
So that part of the Tees is man made and has lost a good few miles of meandering river to let barges through-back in the day.It saved two weeks sailing !

Plus it's the only place they can go to keep away from the Seals.

You can see a huge bow wave every now & then. When they are patrolling up the margins looking for the fish resting/hiding. Many times you will see a fish bolt and the Seals chase after it.

On another note, the pointless seal surveys have started again. I see they were carried out during low tide - brilliant. :doh: what chance have you got really.

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Thank's very much for detailed reply junior much appreciated :thumb: when I was down in teesside working I met a lad at the barrage who told me when and where to stand as the tide was coming for the best chance to see fish he also took the time to take me over to the other side of the barrage and told me where a few of the lies were, the lad stayed with me for over an hour and told me next time your down working bring your rod

Arnold

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score

You can see a huge bow wave every now & then. When they are patrolling up the margins looking for the fish resting/hiding. Many times you will see a fish bolt and the Seals chase after it.

On another note, the pointless seal surveys have started again. I see they were carried out during low tide - brilliant. :doh: what chance have you got really.

There were 5 seals when I was there and they certainly ain't shy in coming close to you, I also seen as you say the big bow wave as they are chasing fish, it certainly is a sight to see, I've got Pic's on my phone somewhere I'll look them out and post them up

Arnold

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
seals

Well a shoal of fish had been going backwards and forwards for how long before dad got there he don't know,but as he said soon as the gates came down the fish vanished into thin air,so they must have came on the tide before that or on the low water leading up to the high tide while dad was present,and yet soon as the gates all gates dropped at the same time, barrage closest gate 1 being the one that was lowest,the were gone within a minute or two-this is the norm yes,but it goes to show that a shoal of fish can pass backwards and forwards with out the seals eating the whole lot in one sitting,some anglers get the crazy idea that seals and other preds can wipe out stocks or what ever-if this was the cases surely these animals would have went extinct years and years ago,i don't know of a single extinction caused by a native species hunting another native species anywhere in the world let alone the uk,this includes pike and other predatory fish and even native birds not imports or new comers to the uk.

The seal populations have come to a halt as far as population increases are concerned,this stopped a few years ago and had been happening slowly till the 60s,don't forget seals were hunted in the uk up until the 1980s, Faroe's and other Islanders,plus they were culled to keep the numbers down not to a minimum but just to keep them in check,in the same way the forestry commission would cull Boars and Red Deer etc,at one point seals were even exported to other countries for their meat sales and seal fur was sold in most tackle shops as fly tie-ing tat.

Some seals take their quarry out in the open river others take the fish at the waters edge,dad said he seen a seal come past him well two of them in the bay area near the corner,chased a fish from the far bank at the railings end back to the bay area,mully the fish into the bank side where dad loves to stand and then the two seals being so big were unable to get to the fish properly so the fish was sort of stranded behind two rocks unsure where to to swim off too,by this time the closest seal had hold of the salmon by the tail,funny dad said the fish in the picture also had a very very small wound on it's tail,anyway the big bull seal that had the fish was scared off by dad ! shouting and making some very disturbing noises to it.the seal let go the fish 'done one'.

To be very fair though even though these seals are eating fish it seems that less seals are settling at the barrage area than in previous years? and even with all said and done the fish still spawn ok and manage to arrive at the Tees barrage from as early as January-all the way to December sometimes, the barrage construction when all said and done is the big let down not the seals, they just happen to live there and feed there,the seals some how will have a sort of balance as that is what nature is good at,way better at sorting the weak from the strong etc nature does this efficiently ! humans don't ! human usually make a mess of it.

But the times i have been down with the 'old feller' i have only ever seen one or two seals eat fish in front of me.Dad says he not seen a seal eat a fish in ages as when he is down there it's the fishing that is on his mind and not the seals.He says he prefers to spend the very small window of opportunity he has looking for fish and not waste-ing precious time arsing around banging on about seals which just happen to be part of the Tees ecosystem-ok on type of seal is an import of ya like but they here to stay no matter what,as the uk carries i think 45% of the world population here,so lets be sensible about this they here to stay,like it or lump it that is exactly how it is.

The fish don't seem to rest up any more so any seals will be hunting fish on the move,since the alterations to the barrage the fish tend not to hold or rest instead the backwards and forwards all day long till the tide turns.

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Fuss

There were 5 seals when I was there and they certainly ain't shy in coming close to you, I also seen as you say the big bow wave as they are chasing fish, it certainly is a sight to see, I've got Pic's on my phone somewhere I'll look them out and post them up

Arnold

I can't see what all the fuss is about personally as it is a fantastic sight to see at any time,especially when the seals come right past ya feet sometimes spraying the passers by with lots of spray/water.They have become a tourist attraction these days,and people walk from as far as Redcar or get the old push iron out and bike it there,sit them selves down and have a picnic with the kids,now that has to be a good thing,family's or who ever having days out,in troubled times as far as cash is concerned for some people.Plus seals have to eat.

You should post them Lamson v10 would be nice to see :D

Junior fisher2001

Reaction score
Lad

Thank's very much for detailed reply junior much appreciated :thumb: when I was down in teesside working I met a lad at the barrage who told me when and where to stand as the tide was coming for the best chance to see fish he also took the time to take me over to the other side of the barrage and told me where a few of the lies were, the lad stayed with me for over an hour and told me next time your down working bring your rod

Arnold

Was that about 2 years ago by any chance? dad seems to remember walking across the far bank showing somebody where and when.?