River Tees 2018

cgaines10

Reaction score
Well it's that time for a new thread, so here we go...

Hopefully we can keep the focus on the Tees this year. We've had a lot of good debates and interest in the issues with the Tees this past year and I'd like to think we can carry that going forward.

The counter never makes the Tees look that great but we know things are slowly improving. It's just frustrating to us all, as we can see the potential the Tees has but let's not give up.

I wish everyone the best of luck this coming season & hopefully we can get a few more Tees Salmon on our rods.

All the best for 2018!

Tight lines :D

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
fish

Yeah would be nice to hear of more fish being caught this season.
On another note we need to keep the Tees thread nice and squeaky clean,no negativity towards our other magificant wildlife that the Tees catchment has to offer.We all adults and should behave in ADULT WAY,no name calling, threats etc the thread don't need that.We have the E/A watching what we say along with many AC clubs and Truts etc,so we don't want who ever to think we barbarians or the likes do we?
It would be really nice to see more fotos hit this thread this season,course fish included ie big Pike and the massive perch the Tees holds,lets try entice some new comers to the river or indeed old timers who back heeled the Tees for what ever reasons in the past.

Ian Alex

Reaction score
Tees 2018

Well it's that time for a new thread, so here we go...

Hopefully we can keep the focus on the Tees this year. We've had a lot of good debates and interest in the issues with the Tees this past year and I'd like to think we can carry that going forward.

The counter never makes the Tees look that great but we know things are slowly improving. It's just frustrating to us all, as we can see the potential the Tees has but let's not give up.

I wish everyone the best of luck this coming season & hopefully we can get a few more Tees Salmon on our rods.

All the best for 2018!

Tight lines :D
Never Give up, the Struggle to greatly improve the river is always ongoing and will be for the foreseeable future . We'll be doing our best, but I tell you, I'm not going to buy a whole Salmon from a fishmongers and pose it for a few photographs :) I was thinking of a new Rod for this season, frankly Hardy and Sage are way too expensive, so if anybody knows different, I am considering Orvis as a good option.

Cheers
Ian

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score

Never Give up, the Struggle to greatly improve the river is always ongoing and will be for the foreseeable future . We'll be doing our best, but I tell you, I'm not going to buy a whole Salmon from a fishmongers and pose it for a few photographs :) I was thinking of a new Rod for this season, frankly Hardy and Sage are way too expensive, so if anybody knows different, I am considering Orvis as a good option.

Cheers
Ian
Back in the day when we were allowed to sell sustainable rod caught salmon, i sold a big cock fish to a feller in a village near Bishopton,about a year later or so i was back in the pub where i sold it and as i tried to sell one to the land lord (new landlord) he produced a picture of the feller i sold the fish to dressed up like that feller out side barnicles chippy stockton dovecot street,yella oil skins and a sea fishermans captain birdseye hat.but he was holding the fish i sold him,apparntly it made ever so popular with the people of carlton.....same feller captain birdseye still on the go.....bless him.

A rod is nearly a rod to me,if that makes sense? i hate flimsy,brittle thin walled rods,im not bothered about the rod weight either so a old fiberglass rod form the 60s or 70s will suit me down to a tee,but however as age creeps up i do posses some carbon rods,a B&W, a unknown rod from the Dee,a Fiberube,airflo,and a few glass rods to top it off,im clumsy with anything new so expensive rods are a no no for me as i have broke a few in the past,but not glass rods,i don't fish for more than a few hours at a time unless the river is bouncing with fish or where im fishing is lifting but im still not catching,but in a year that only happens a few times anyway.so weight of rod to me makes ne odds,Orvis seem a good rod and decent make with canny write ups-go the full hog go to greys at alnwick,get the feel for a few rods or blanks,ask questions shop about online and get a rod bulder to build yer a custom rod to suit your needs, :D even get yer name on it why not? then that rod is sort of unique to you,ive been searching for a salt water fly rod the type that was used by rex hunt in his tv series during the 90s to catch treveli etc if i could get a at least 12 foot rod i would be well happy to take it to bits then make it my own after some customisation.

Last edited:

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
BS Rocks

Broken Scar rocks,well they went in around 1984 or there abouts,first lot went in below the dam apron,back then the dam wasnt as big near where the ball camera is now,they was once a footpath there that went closer to the dam wall now extended,so them big boulders,before they were there when i was a kid i used to pick the crayfish up all day long i was facinated by them,put every single one back of course tiny little things,very black in colour or very dark green,but that was a big gravel area and if i remember correctly yer could walk below the dam in low water,yer could probly do it slightly hiher but it was a force that cmae over quite strong,now when it flooded dirty water dropping off the fish used to fly onto the apron either make it over drop back or shoot along to the weir pool bit,so it didn't take long for these new tees salmon to hit the news and a lad appeared canny kid lol ;) cheeky, but after that the rocks were put in - end of !

But that left the weir pool,and at this time the water still only flowed in the middle at low water so yer could stand at the end to the wir pool this is before the denial fish pass,sit back and yer could see the very odd salmon trying for it which unless it was up,they had zero chance i mean zero,not ever seen a one back then get over in low water,nearly but nealry aint good enough say 3/4s then fall back down,so the wtaer was fast coming through the two middle channels and yer didn't even need a rod????? the force of the water would send fish flying of they tried to jump to early always or nealry always on the platform right at yer feet anything from bowns to a few LBS to mighty slamon and ST wey hey hey,used to love going there when a was a kid,further down past the last jetty the fish used to do the same beach them sleves on that small incline slplit,same again the fish used to run that path in very very high water,sometimes with a few inches of the top of the fish sticking out the water,so all thse alterations have been well looked into as the fish seldom do any of that any more.

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
Fish

Now if fish run a foot path in flood does that suggest that in days gone by that the river may have once run where the path is? as salmon we know have a natural sat nav if yer like built in that can lay dormant for 1ks of years untill needed? Same applies lower down from the barrage from say Portrack Bay area,well actually from say thee barrage area slightly lower than the fish pass entrance,the fish run so close to the side that they nearly on the bank side,now again in days gone by the rivers course used to be somehwhat different,the river used to run past where asda is now and possibly where HMP Holme House is,well not quite as far as the Gaol maybe nearer the roundabout.I learnt that at school, Mr Thompkinson was never ever wrong,learnt,entertained and represented by the Thomkinson family ie teacher mr T his nephew-John Thompkinson (DCI BANKS) and Mr Ts son who is a barrester.

Mr Thompkinson had another brother who moved to High Shincliffe just out side Durham near Houghall agriculteral college,this is about 2-3 miles up from the dams in Durham city centre by river not road as thats much closer,the river creates a sock around the Durham area hence the location of the Catherderal,but Mr T WAS ALSO A FISHERMNA dry fly all the way hated rainbows and the likes,a true purist got some of the pupils to tie up flies for him ;) but he swore that shincliffe was a banging area for salmon and st,now he talking about at least late 1930s he told me where to go and i found the area he was talking about,wouldnt give me a map or anything only verbal directions which he said was crucial to following orders and finding the location safely (ww2 days kicking in) but ive walked that area lots of times both fishing and coursing,seen very odd fish nearby but not exactly where he said,so i assume over time if the river changes its charicteristics fish may not hold in the said area till mutha nature repairs it back to how it was,but by the sounds back then it was a popular spot for a good chance of a catch-try doing that now in the shincliffe area.The fishing don't pick up till yer get into Butterby estate,then by that time yer sort of at croxdale waters.

Last edited:

Ian Alex

Reaction score
Broken Scar

Broken Scar rocks,well they went in around 1984 or there abouts,first lot went in below the dam apron,back then the dam wasnt as big near where the ball camera is now,they was once a footpath there that went closer to the dam wall now extended,so them big boulders,before they were there when i was a kid i used to pick the crayfish up all day long i was facinated by them,put every single one back of course tiny little things,very black in colour or very dark green,but that was a big gravel area and if i remember correctly yer could walk below the dam in low water,yer could probly do it slightly hiher but it was a force that cmae over quite strong,now when it flooded dirty water dropping off the fish used to fly onto the apron either make it over drop back or shoot along to the weir pool bit,so it didn't take long for these new tees salmon to hit the news and a lad appeared canny kid lol ;) cheeky, but after that the rocks were put in - end of !

But that left the weir pool,and at this time the water still only flowed in the middle at low water so yer could stand at the end to the wir pool this is before the denial fish pass,sit back and yer could see the very odd salmon trying for it which unless it was up,they had zero chance i mean zero,not ever seen a one back then get over in low water,nearly but nealry aint good enough say 3/4s then fall back down,so the wtaer was fast coming through the two middle channels and yer didn't even need a rod????? the force of the water would send fish flying of they tried to jump to early always or nealry always on the platform right at yer feet anything from bowns to a few LBS to mighty slamon and ST wey hey hey,used to love going there when a was a kid,further down past the last jetty the fish used to do the same beach them sleves on that small incline slplit,same again the fish used to run that path in very very high water,sometimes with a few inches of the top of the fish sticking out the water,so all thse alterations have been well looked into as the fish seldom do any of that any more.

Yes, all that is so, but as you say, the rocks have improved the situation dramatically along with the denial fish pass. Even in low water, given the slope of the shutes and the length, the force of water was too much. Salmon are strong fish, made for explosive bursts of energy, but they can only do so much. Things are much better today, passage upstream is easier and I have to say, the improvements were well thought out. Yes, back in the day fish would run along the footpath in high spate. Not likely as the whole set-up has been arranged so that fish follow the current up the center and along the Yorkshire bank.

cgaines10

Reaction score
We just need improvements to the Barrage now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
Boro

The river today was dirty as hell on a good day,full of debris,trees,etc,very muddy looking,that was newport Bridge this afternoon around 3.40pm,i been wanting to get out for a day or two for a bit of Pike action,try me reel out that i refurbished (Mitchell 810) but the rain has brought that to a abrupt halt :(,soon as it clear up ill be giving the Pike a go,show me son how its done .......................hopefully that is.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
The river today was dirty as hell on a good day,full of debris,trees,etc,very muddy looking,that was newport Bridge this afternoon around 3.40pm,i been wanting to get out for a day or two for a bit of Pike action,try me reel out that i refurbished (Mitchell 810) but the rain has brought that to a abrupt halt :(,soon as it clear up ill be giving the Pike a go,show me son how its done .......................hopefully that is.
Only ever caught Pike on the Fly so take this with a pinch of salt but I reckon these look like cracking Pike Lures:

Egret Baits - Vudu Shad

There's a pool where I'm desperate to try one of these too...

Vudu Shrimp

Enjoy the pike, sorry about the diversion....

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
/

Only ever caught Pike on the Fly so take this with a pinch of salt but I reckon these look like cracking Pike Lures:

Egret Baits - Vudu Shad

There's a pool where I'm desperate to try one of these too...

Vudu Shrimp

Enjoy the pike, sorry about the diversion....[/QUOTe
They look good lure patterns,i used rubber worms types for bass in spain and they were the bizz,two seasons back i was at Naburn on the tidal Ouse trying for a salmo and snagged me sen onto a tree branch when i got it out they was two rubber trout like the ones in that vid a small one and a one that looked like a 3/4lb real fish,never used em yet,but wanting to give em a try in the freshwater at maybe preston ppark or thornaby area.IDE like to try the fly for pike but fly fishing anywhere outa season isnt my thang,if and its a big if a bailff was to turn up,trying to explain that i was Pike fishing erm not sure about that one :D stick to me lure fishing until the salmon season opens :D

MikeRol

Reaction score
Heres to the New Season

Happy New year everyone,

I've joined Darlington Fly Fishers this year and will also be joining Darlington anglers as well as the two other clubs I was in last season. All to try and improve my options when it comes to catching a few more fish.

The Darlington Fly Fishers water looks really interesting and I'll be out for my first jaunt on the 3rd Feb. If lightening strikes then I'll post up on the thread.

Good luck to everyone for the coming season and hopefully there will be a few more fish about for me this coming year than there was last year. I already have heard that fish have been seen moving in the system and i think Taddy was saying he saw some at Portrack bridge a week or two back so fingers crossed this is an early run in the offing.

Mike

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score

Happy New year everyone,

I've joined Darlington Fly Fishers this year and will also be joining Darlington anglers as well as the two other clubs I was in last season. All to try and improve my options when it comes to catching a few more fish.

The Darlington Fly Fishers water looks really interesting and I'll be out for my first jaunt on the 3rd Feb. If lightening strikes then I'll post up on the thread.

Good luck to everyone for the coming season and hopefully there will be a few more fish about for me this coming year than there was last year. I already have heard that fish have been seen moving in the system and i think Taddy was saying he saw some at Portrack bridge a week or two back so fingers crossed this is an early run in the offing.

That's the thang though MickRol WERE THE FISH I SEEN really late runners or very early winter fish?
Got a lot of good water to choose from there with all them clubs under yer belt,anywhere in the system in the first Month has a decent chance,well not quite anywhere but ya know warra mean,my starting pints would be ; over dinsdale,hurworth,neasham,sockburn for defos-a must,croft side even,blackwell,girsby,cleesby deeps,broken scar yes BS is free but sometimes well in a lot of cases the free fishing nearly always beats a lot of club water,most these free waters have a history behind them,from a time not so long ago when kings and queens took the urine from the commoners/serfs,so when we gained water we wern't as stupid as these royals and who ever thought we were so we choose the best waters to take fish to feed our selves,wasn't untill a few yrs later these elites thought hang on these serfs lok healthy ish and these salmon don't taste too bad and later when people angled for fish as sport they also though errmmmm we can all make money at this,but in general lots of free fishing out beats a lot of waters i know both here in England and in some cases SCOTLAND AND WALES.
So anywhere below Broken scar area down to over dinsdale will be fine then come march try past Bs and beyond....are yer going to be using the fly MikeRol? or not? because lure fishinbg works a treat in the first few months esp on the Tees,going off historical catches from the 80s and early 90s,Devon Minnows woods,metal or these days plastic work well,but to be very honest ive seen lots of salmon lads and lasses start to use rappals and the likes for salmon fishing and they work,so maybe a newer more modern day approach may work-whats the crack with sand eels and sprats (golden/dyed types) can we only use these when the shrimping season starts?

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score

I looked again today at the Tees near the dinosaurs M,boro,parked me jacksy on the fence ate me sarnie and watched for a good 15-20 minutes,reason i stooped and took a small walk is cos when i came over newport bridge into Middlesbrough i seen movements,but today i seen Nish ! zilcho !the water was well muddy with the usual debris,but this extra water has to be bringing new season fish i know,were at 10th of January now and it's that sort of time for Tees fish to make a start.This next 3 weeks is going to torture me as it always does every year..

MikeRol

Reaction score
Toby, Rap and Condoms

I've just bought myself a couple of Rapalas.

Was reading some advice on what to get as I was a bit clueless with them. Here's what I read;

"I've a good bit of experience using Rapalas for Salmon and Sea Trout and now use just 4 colours and 2 different sizes of the countdown variety, these will cover you for all the differing stages of floodwater. Starting in the dirtiest water (you will catch fish in water so dirty you can't see the lure an inch or 2 under the surface!) of the flood, fish a CD7 FT, that's a countdown 7cm in Fire-tiger colour (I expect this is the one builnacraig was referring to), as the colour starts to drop out switch to a CD7 GFR or Gold Fluorescent Red (which is actually orange!), as the colour continues to drop change to a CD7 G or Gold followed by a CD7 S or Silver and finally when the waters clear but still a bit high and fast for a fly, a CD5 (5cm) S or Silver.
After many years of fishing and using too many different lures to remember, I now stick to the above system and have total faith in it.
As to how to fish them, it depends on conditions but as a general rule, the dirtier the water the slower I fish them but find most success making a square cast and letting the current bring the lure round like a fly, only winding very slowly. I always use braided line and you will feel every bump as the lure swings round and some pretty savage takes!"

So I got the 4 colours he suggested and the size he suggested them in. I didn't bother with the CD5 S one though as I don't think I'll use it - but you never know!

Anyway, I continued reading on and found this advice from another angler;

"i recently spent some time on the Tweed with some experienced salmon fishermen. I was told to fish a flying c upstream, a rapala across, and a toby down and across..."

So I've bought myself a mega pack of tobys on ebay ( 27 Toby Bass & salmon spoon lures mega mix | eBay ) to replace the ones I lost last season, I've already got a bag of condoms (need them now more than ever as the wife has told me she isn't having any more kids!) and I'm ready for the off!!

Cheers all
Mike

cgaines10

Reaction score
Brilliant! Thanks for sharing Mike

Ian Alex

Reaction score
Darlington Fly Fishers

Happy New year everyone,

Mike
Excuse my ignorance here, but I have never heard of Darlington Fly Fishers club, I'm only aware of DAA and DBTAA. Well I have been out of the loop until last year lol

MikeRol

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance here, but I have never heard of Darlington Fly Fishers club, I'm only aware of DAA and DBTAA. Well I have been out of the loop until last year lol
Hi Ian,

Darlington Fly Fishers Club

Membership limited to 40 members. Subs £135 per annum. Fly only (the club name gives it away.)

Used to be nearly impossible to get in but as the club membership has declined (same everywhere) they have become more progressive and opened up a bit more in order to keep the club going. Their "new" secretary (circa 2010) was quite adamant on this point to me when showing me around. Think there might be a place or two left now, but not much. They have the "meeting of the waters" pool - where the River Greta meets the Tees. I've had PM's on this forum telling me that this is arguably the top salmon hot spot for the upper Tees. For £135 it is worth finding out!

Tight lines
Mike

dave1959

Reaction score
I was in DFAC once over. Its a good club and recommend any one to join.

Just been on the Bishy website and theres no mention that they still have the Tees Eggleston stretch. I wonder if they have lost it? They seem to have reduced the membership fee, so maybe so.

cgaines10

Reaction score
Yes they no longer have that water. There was a press release on it & I think it’s in the old Wear thread.

Lovely water, it will be interesting to see who takes over it.

MikeRol

Reaction score
I was in DFAC once over. Its a good club and recommend any one to join.

Just been on the Bishy website and theres no mention that they still have the Tees Eggleston stretch. I wonder if they have lost it? They seem to have reduced the membership fee, so maybe so.
Yep, gone. I'm a member of Bishop.

Mike

dave1959

Reaction score
That's a shame Mike. I suppose the other option if you like fishing up there is Darlo brown Trout. I was in Bishy for years but got fed up of the constant threat of dropping the Tees leash, and eventually dropped my membership. There were others reasons too, but nothing regarding the club.

Dave

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score
Bac

BAC ain't got that water on the Tees anymore, yeah real shame (Not) was that cos of what was supposed to be going on in the spring months ie taking of spring fish in March? that was what i heard form Tees fishers last season and stories from seasons gone by.Hard luck at least they know now how we all felt when we lost our water At Durham city.

Taddy

Banned
Reaction score

I've just bought myself a couple of Rapalas.

Was reading some advice on what to get as I was a bit clueless with them. Here's what I read;

"I've a good bit of experience using Rapalas for Salmon and Sea Trout and now use just 4 colours and 2 different sizes of the countdown variety, these will cover you for all the differing stages of floodwater. Starting in the dirtiest water (you will catch fish in water so dirty you can't see the lure an inch or 2 under the surface!) of the flood, fish a CD7 FT, that's a countdown 7cm in Fire-tiger colour (I expect this is the one builnacraig was referring to), as the colour starts to drop out switch to a CD7 GFR or Gold Fluorescent Red (which is actually orange!), as the colour continues to drop change to a CD7 G or Gold followed by a CD7 S or Silver and finally when the waters clear but still a bit high and fast for a fly, a CD5 (5cm) S or Silver.
After many years of fishing and using too many different lures to remember, I now stick to the above system and have total faith in it.
As to how to fish them, it depends on conditions but as a general rule, the dirtier the water the slower I fish them but find most success making a square cast and letting the current bring the lure round like a fly, only winding very slowly. I always use braided line and you will feel every bump as the lure swings round and some pretty savage takes!"

So I got the 4 colours he suggested and the size he suggested them in. I didn't bother with the CD5 S one though as I don't think I'll use it - but you never know!

Anyway, I continued reading on and found this advice from another angler;

"i recently spent some time on the Tweed with some experienced salmon fishermen. I was told to fish a flying c upstream, a rapala across, and a toby down and across..."

So I've bought myself a mega pack of tobys on ebay ( 27 Toby Bass & salmon spoon lures mega mix | eBay ) to replace the ones I lost last season, I've already got a bag of condoms (need them now more than ever as the wife has told me she isn't having any more kids!) and I'm ready for the off!!

recon i watched the same video on youtube,was that the feller from the Tay who uses only the middle hook on the lure-modified so it breaks away from the bottom end of the lure useing 3lb snap-off line?