River Tay 2021

Matthew19811

Reaction score
Fished Cargill today fly and harling .

One kelt at about 9 lb released at the side of boat .

Hooked a springer ( 100% ) on a yellow kynoch took off 100m down stream , had it on for a good 20 mins got it to the boat and it made one last jump attempt and threw the hook.. was thick set and probably about 12-4 lb of pure silver ....hey ho tough luck .. was a great day out and good to know there are fresh fish in the river 😀

I live well within the 5 mile radius

Andrew B

Reaction score

Hooked a springer ( 100% ) on a yellow kynoch took off 100m down stream , had it on for a good 20 mins got it to the boat and it made one last jump attempt and threw the hook.. was thick set and probably about 12-4 lb of pure silver ....hey ho tough luck .. was a great day out and good to know there are fresh fish in the river 😀

Way to go and bad luck on losing it but it must sound crazy to some folk how we would count a fish after releasing it in the water anyway? To get a take from a Jan springer and have it on for so long is a good days fishing either way.

Matthew19811

Reaction score
Totally agree ... was good to have a go.. was freezing in the boat and actually warmer wading with the fly

I get what you mean about the releasing .. to be fair if touch it you have caught it ( unless you make an arse and drop it) 🤣🤣🤣.... I see no point in dragging a fish in to the boat or bank on CnR if you can either
A - unhook it at the side ( easy with kelts as they are tired fast ) and then just support it in the water till ready to go ...
B- net it ,unhook and keep in water then release as above once recovered

However saying that I'm also not against people taking a fish for the table if its under the correct rules / guidance etc etc

And to be honest I would have taken a pic of the fresh one if I landed it

Last edited:

Andrew B

Reaction score
Totally agree ... was good to have a go.. was freezing in the boat and actually warmer wading with the fly

I get what you mean about the releasing .. to be fair if touch it you have caught it ( unless you make an arse and drop it) 🤣🤣🤣.... I see no point in dragging a fish in to the boat or bank on CnR if you can either
A - unhook it at the side ( easy with kelts as they are tired fast ) and then just support it in the water till ready to go ...
B- net it ,unhook and keep in water then release as above once recovered

However saying that I'm also not against people taking a fish for the table if its under the correct rules / guidance etc etc

And to be honest I would have taken a pic of the fresh one if I landed it
Absolutely mate

neilt

Reaction score
Fishpnds
Summer and backend ghillie position

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
🤔 where’s kirkie gone?
Believe there's a bit of a story about that mate.
Dam shame Kirkie's the best ghillie I've ever met. Really knows his stuff and that beat intimately.
And a really sound guy. I will miss him for sure.
I've heard he's off to Russia as soon as restrictions are lifted.

westie4566

Reaction score

Were you in the boat with Dylan? If so I heard about that fish. Tough luck mate.

Scierra

Reaction score
Looks like the first (reported) fish of the season has come off Dalmarnock today.
4 weeks after opening day , must be a record ? covid has limited to local anglers only within 5 miles , few rods out ? shows how much the big 4 river beats depend on anglers from afar . Dee and Tweed has faired better with "Fly Only "

glenelg100

Reaction score
Seen a live video on FB from Cargill, river 16' and rising getting a wee bit close to the hut

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210220-142227_Chrome.jpg

Hemmy

Reaction score
I think fishing is last thing on ghillies’minds at moment

Iblack70

Reaction score
Believe there's a bit of a story about that mate.
Dam shame Kirkie's the best ghillie I've ever met. Really knows his stuff and that beat intimately.
And a really sound guy. I will miss him for sure.
I've heard he's off to Russia as soon as restrictions are lifted.
Nice to your face but nasty behind your back .Nice place to fish good luck to who ever gets the position