River Nith, 2021.

Southpaw123

Reaction score
When is a Springer not a Springer ...... when it's a very well mended bar of silver of a kelt.
25th, opening day, sun shining, river flood over and dropping in, temp about 8 degrees, what else could we ask for. I ventured down to Nunholm and parked the car with the intension of decorating the branches of the trees on the far bank with some shiny metal bling. This I did with a bit of success, a bair spoon and a flying c in the branches and a blair spoon in among the rocks. But it was a great day to be out in the fresh air at last with the excitement of the possibility of a pull on the line. It didn't take too long before a pull came and a brisk tussle followed with a great excitement when a bright flash of silver flashed through the mirk of the swollen river. A minute or two later the brightest of silver salmon of about 6lb was on the grass, unhooked and slid back into the river. If it had not been for the eel like qualities I would have claimed a springer on opening day, no fin damage, no vent damage, no gill maggots and as bright if not brighter than a grilse in August. A great day to start the season, I will probably leave it for a couple more weeks to let the kelts head out to sea before trying again because if the fish that are heading out are all like this one then there could be some great fish returning later on.
Seen couple o folk fishing cairn mouth as I came along bypass this afternoon,did think about venturing out but decided it was to big.Unlucky with your fish bet your had missed a few beats!! Good luck to everyone for the coming season🎣

Thrasher

Reaction score
Went through town early yesterday on way to work. Had a quick look at the cakewalk, it was an ideal height for a spin. Shame I had to work.

BornagainDen

Reaction score
Some folk would ask what is the point of fishing for them just to return them, that certainly would've seemed a bit odd years ago.
Tam..the thrill of the take..rod-bending action..the glorious silver swirl..all adrenalin creating stuff ! but surely netsmen only catch salmon for profit..or even their livelihood? why bother if they have to return all they catch ?

Wee Porters

Reaction score
Tam..the thrill of the take..rod-bending action..the glorious silver swirl..all adrenalin creating stuff ! but surely netsmen only catch salmon for profit..or even their livelihood? why bother if they have to return all they catch ?
Possibly because if they stop doing it they might lose the right to do it, you know how things work, right?

Was speaking to a cousin of my dad yesterday at a funeral, he lives down Glencaple way and haafed all his days (not fit to do in now though). He was born into it, it's in his blood. He was saying there's very few do it nowadays but at least there's still a few diehards keeping it alive.

Surely there's also a buzz for them too though when after standing chest deep
In the river for however long, holding a 16ft wide haaf net a fish finally hits the net?

Maybe they're just happy to be keeping a centuries old tradition going, who knows why they keep at it?

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
Possibly because if they stop doing it they might lose the right to do it, you know how things work, right?

Was speaking to a cousin of my dad yesterday at a funeral, he lives down Glencaple way and haafed all his days (not fit to do in now though). He was born into it, it's in his blood. He was saying there's very few do it nowadays but at least there's still a few diehards keeping it alive.

In the river for however long, holding a 16ft wide haaf net a fish finally hits the net?

Maybe they're just happy to be keeping a centuries old tradition going, who knows why they keep at it?
You are so right, so many country sports now long gone like the yair nets on the Dee. There is a couple of excellent videos on you tube.

Thrasher

Reaction score

They can still keeep sea trout within the Nith code.

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Any fish seen or caught in nith so far this season...have had a day on upper nith.seen nothing but grayling...water was lowest I have seen it