River Nith, 2021.

salarchaser

Reaction score
My first trip on the Nith was in 2007 and I fished at Thornhill in November.
Anglers on most pools.
The same when I moved upstream to Sanquhar. The back road below Elliok Bridge would have cars in most laybys and more often than not there would be two in the layby upstream of the bridge by the path down to woodshead. More often than not you'd drive past as there wasn't room to stop.
Now its like having a private beat.
In 4 days this year I stopped at woods head at least once if not twice each day. Mine was the only car there.

Greegs

Reaction score
Aye, there's no waiting to get in at the head of the pools these days Huw, no craic either unless I talk to myself.

I was down on Saturday & only fished the ministers.
Never saw a tail.

2 boys I know appeared & they said they had saw one other fisher on the water & hadn’t saw any fish at all.

One of them ended up putting the salmon rod away & was fishing for grayling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greegs

Reaction score

Last days fishing for me at UNAA.

Fished 3-4 pools & never saw a tail & water was sitting perfect.

Rods cleaned this weekend & tucked away for winter.

Stevieob76

Reaction score
I'm staying in dumfries this weekend and was hoping to get a cast on Sat. Is there anywhere close by where I might have a chance at a fish? Was looking at the burgh water and the cairn?

salarchaser

Reaction score

Last days fishing for me at UNAA.

Fished 3-4 pools & never saw a tail & water was sitting perfect.

Rods cleaned this weekend & tucked away for winter.

Looks like long mains with the pipe just showing.
Indeed a good height.
Had a few fish within 25 yards of that spot.

Greegs

Reaction score
Does the pipe discharge raw sewage, overflow drain in heavy rain conditions ?

I don’t think so as it comes out the treatment works.
Or I wouldn’t like to think it does.

salarchaser

Reaction score
Well, thats the end of my season on the Nith. Another 2 days done. Fished twice as many days as last year but still only managed 6 days.

Monday saw the usual routine, 4.30 start, detour, slow on the bottom of the M6, slow across the A75. Breakfast at marchbanks.
Scraped ice off the car before I set off and there was frost on the banks as I tackled up.
River at a nice height and gin clear. Clear skies and a light downstream breeze. First pool and ice was forming in the rod rings but after an hour it warmed slightly.
Covered quite a bit of water only seeing one fish show, just opposite the pipe in greegs photo upthread.
Last light, the trusty junction shrimp in the pool I took my last fish, a short draw and a fish was on. It politely held position while I got retrieved line back on the reel before it swam slowly upstream and under the rid tip. A hectic few minutes while the fish dashed and thrashed in 18 inches of water with only the leader and half the polytip outside the tip ring. After a couple abortive attempts the fish finally slipped into the net.
By the time I'd returned the fish it was dark. The exciting bit was wading 30yds back across the run out of the pool to get back to the car.

A warmer morning on Tuesday with heavy cloud. Fished all the pools of Monday in reverse order. Great conditions with some fly hatching and grayling rising.
Despite my best efforts, no more fish. Again, no complaints.

Not sure what what good luck charm I found earlier in the year but i couldnt have expected better.
6 days fished, 5 fish hooked with 4 of them landed. Not the most Ive taken on the nith in a season but certainly the best return for effort.

After covid last year and drought this, just hoping for ' normal conditions' next year so I can spend more days on the nith targeting some early season brownies, summer sea trout and anytime salmon.

Scierra

Reaction score
I don’t think so as it comes out the treatment works.
Or I wouldn’t like to think it does.

I remember fishing The Mid Nithsdale beat back in the 90's , somewhere around the middle of the beat on the left bank ? there was raw sewage discharging trickling through a field into the river, when you waded squelched through it ,the stench was enough to make you bowk:sick:

mc andy

Reaction score
I remember fishing The Mid Nithsdale beat back in the 90's , somewhere around the middle of the beat on the left bank ? there was raw sewage discharging trickling through a field into the river, when you waded squelched through it ,the stench was enough to make you bowk:sick:
The sewage pool possibiy?

Scierra

Reaction score
No not the sewage pool , as we fished that pool with sucesss, it was further down river.Prob off a sess tank ?
what a great river it was to fish up till approx 2010.

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
I have to say you teuchters from Glasgow South and West have some brilliantly descriptive although hardly romantic
pool names on your rivers.;)
Up in the Heelands where I live we would at least think of something that sounds better.
Like òtrachas Pool maybe???:D:D
B.T.W. well done Salarfinder, good effort for your 6 days.(y)

mc andy

Reaction score
I have to say you teuchters from Glasgow South and West have some brilliantly descriptive although hardly romantic
pool names on your rivers.;)
Up in the Heelands where I live we would at least think of something that sounds better.
Like òtrachas Pool maybe???:D:D
B.T.W. well done Salarfinder, good effort for your 6 days.(y)
Your lucky its no called the s h I t pool! :unsure: :)

Last edited:

salarchaser

Reaction score
I know that pool very well ,but from the other bank ....oh for the good old days ☹️
I know I was only there 6 days this year and was often fishing away from their pools, but only saw one person on Old Mains and none on Ryehill.
In the past you usually saw people on the opposite bank at Mains Pool, Kings Scarr and Woodshead.
Saying that, didn't see a soul on UNAA waters while I was there this time either and only a couple on previous visits. Its like having a private beat.

gaula

Reaction score
It's certainly changed days, I can remember fishing from around Elliock bridge,
downstream, when the mennock lodge hotel was open, this is going back about
35 years or so, the hotel used to be full of fishers from down south, and if you
were not on the river early, (6.30- 7.00am) you had very little chance of fishing
any of the pools, as the visiting anglers would be out before breakfast, mostly
worming. I remember one morning, going down at about 7.am, and I walked
more or less down to Mc Nabs pool before I could get in for a cast, I would then
carry on down to the round horse, etc, before the long walk back to the car,
of course there were plenty of fish about then, and I hardly ever had a blank day
with the fly, even when the water was up.

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
I can remember fishing Kings Scarr one day, fishing a wee double, bang a fish took, the rod arched over it felt a good weight but the fish didn't move other than a few feet, I could feel the heavy thuds of it ,I put pressure on but still it wouldn't move , convinced I had a monster on 30,40,even 50lbs I phoned my mate to see if he was close enough to come and help me, but he was at the top of the beat (don't panic Cpt Mainwaring) I moved down below the fish trying to turn its head ,it wouldn't budge .....something wasn't right, I picked up some stones and threw them towards the fish eventually it moved down stream but kept stopping as though something had a grip of it ,I let my line go slack then put pressure on again, the fish was still on ,but starting to weaken now, I then wadded out and got behind it, it was a hen about 14lb, with my net I moved forward it started to panic it turned and went straight into my net but when I started to lift something was pulling on the net rim...I now realised why the fish didn't move it had a large sea hook in its jaw 40lb mono and a 3oz lead weight which must have been getting jammed between the boulders....and yet it still took my flee, after removing both hooks the fish shot off....I'm sure I heard a cry as it took off up stream "Freedom" , LOL.

Last edited:

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
I spent the afternoon down at Casteldykes waiting for the tide in the hope of meeting 30lb of Grayback silver. Then I woke up and thought I had better make a move and headed out. It was surprising just how warm it was once the ice melted off the car. Casteldykes is a different place since the metre of mud got washed away. Nice gravel to wander down now so I settled in. After an hour or so my line stopped and started to peel off the reel. Hellllooooow I thought to myself but alas after 3 more screaming runs the fish came to the side and I got my first look at it. I had to rub my eyes as a flash of rose red glinted along it's flanks and the size what half of what I had expected. 6lb of the feistiest rainbow flapped onto the gravel. Ah well not the fish of dreams but great fun as the season almost comes to the end.
20211125_130259.jpg

salarchaser

Reaction score
I spent the afternoon down at Casteldykes waiting for the tide in the hope of meeting 30lb of Grayback silver. Then I woke up and thought I had better make a move and headed out. It was surprising just how warm it was once the ice melted off the car. Casteldykes is a different place since the metre of mud got washed away. Nice gravel to wander down now so I settled in. After an hour or so my line stopped and started to peel off the reel. Hellllooooow I thought to myself but alas after 3 more screaming runs the fish came to the side and I got my first look at it. I had to rub my eyes as a flash of rose red glinted along it's flanks and the size what half of what I had expected. 6lb of the feistiest rainbow flapped onto the gravel. Ah well not the fish of dreams but great fun as the season almost comes to the end.View attachment 69005
where did that come from? Any fish farms in the area? Had a few escapees on different waters, but nothing that size.
A great catch, even if not what you were targeting.

I remember landing a 27 inch brown when salmon fishing a good few years back. Was a while before the disappointment faded. Then I felt guilty for being disappointed at catching such a fine fish.
Would have preferred it on an 8 foot #4 though.

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
where did that come from? Any fish farms in the area? Had a few escapees on different waters, but nothing that size.
A great catch, even if not what you were targeting.

I remember landing a 27 inch brown when salmon fishing a good few years back. Was a while before the disappointment faded. Then I felt guilty for being disappointed at catching such a fine fish.
Would have preferred it on an 8 foot #4 though.
With my luck using 8ft #4 I would hook into that greyback, mangle my reel clutch and smash the rod into three or four bits I did swap over to my 12ft #8-9 for the last couple of hours but I'm hopeless fishing from the right bank. What is good about the pool just above the bridge is that it's a right hand bend so standing 1/3 of the way out, the dangle can last for ages with the fly being worked back and forth across the flow.