River Nith, 2021.

Wee Porters

Reaction score
Another season will soon be upon us, tight lines to all of you.

Not the best news to start the new year though.

Yesterday there was a strong smell of diesel or kerosene coming from the Scaur, a tributary of the Nith. It seemingly started just below Glenmarlin falls and from there it travelled downstream into the Nith. SEPA where alerted last night and I believe the river board are on site this morning.

Photos where taken off FB and are from the bridge at Penpont.

Have also posted this in the general section.

Screenshot_20210103-102928_Facebook.jpg
20210103_103010.jpg

salarchaser

Reaction score
Saw your other post. Not good news.

Hoping 21 will let me have a bit more time on the Nith.
Last year was almost a wipe out.

Thrasher

Reaction score
Not sure we will get to wet a line Thursday with todays forecast.

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
When is a Springer not a Springer ...... when it's a very well mended bar of silver of a kelt.
25th, opening day, sun shining, river flood over and dropping in, temp about 8 degrees, what else could we ask for. I ventured down to Nunholm and parked the car with the intension of decorating the branches of the trees on the far bank with some shiny metal bling. This I did with a bit of success, a bair spoon and a flying c in the branches and a blair spoon in among the rocks. But it was a great day to be out in the fresh air at last with the excitement of the possibility of a pull on the line. It didn't take too long before a pull came and a brisk tussle followed with a great excitement when a bright flash of silver flashed through the mirk of the swollen river. A minute or two later the brightest of silver salmon of about 6lb was on the grass, unhooked and slid back into the river. If it had not been for the eel like qualities I would have claimed a springer on opening day, no fin damage, no vent damage, no gill maggots and as bright if not brighter than a grilse in August. A great day to start the season, I will probably leave it for a couple more weeks to let the kelts head out to sea before trying again because if the fish that are heading out are all like this one then there could be some great fish returning later on.