River Nith 2020

gaula

Reaction score
Again today, no sign of a salmon on whole of the beat. I must admit to giving up and surrendering at 14.45 as hands were soooo verrrrry cold. Brrrrrrr.
Any news of fish seen or encountered on the Nith anywhere today?
Seems like my chances are dwindling rapidly for a specimen.
Fishpal are showing one fish caught on Dumfies Burgh today 6lb
out of interest, which beat are you fishing ?.

Greegs

Reaction score
Again today, no sign of a salmon on whole of the beat. I must admit to giving up and surrendering at 14.45 as hands were soooo verrrrry cold. Brrrrrrr.

My m8 was fishing for grayling but said he never saw a salmon on his travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keirstream

Reaction score
Tony, I feel for you.
You have worked hard for a week apparently without a splash and that is a sad indictment of the times.
Nowadays, I concentrate my trips from March (Northie) til early August (Dionard) with a fair few in the Far North in between.
September / October is now spent on local rivers (Teith and Earn) where I have just as much chance of a fresh fish as anywhere else.
The pools at that time usually are tenanted predominately with river fish and I try to avoid them by keeping the fly high in the water and concentrating on necks and tails in the hope of nicking a runner.
My rods were away mid October this year, it is sadly just not worth the effort any more.:(

TowySewin

Reaction score
Tony, I feel for you.
You have worked hard for a week apparently without a splash and that is a sad indictment of the times.
Nowadays, I concentrate my trips from March (Northie) til early August (Dionard) with a fair few in the Far North in between.
September / October is now spent on local rivers (Teith and Earn) where I have just as much chance of a fresh fish as anywhere else.
The pools at that time usually are tenanted predominately with river fish and I try to avoid them by keeping the fly high in the water and concentrating on necks and tails in the hope of nicking a runner.
My rods were away mid October this year, it is sadly just not worth the effort any more.:(
I am not Tony

Andrew B

Reaction score
Tony, I feel for you.
That’s some real thoughtful fishing about trying to nick those runners? Back in the day I’ve fished all day and seen nothing and in timing with the tide some ten miles up I remember seeing the first signs of fish entering the 500yrd long pool and then passing by in what seemed like hundreds to be gone in a flash.
But I think you’re method has real merit esp with lone runners or just a few as they enter the pool?
I think it’s these runners that can peel line off in a take, and leave you wondering how it didn’t result in a hook up.

By the way your avatar. What’s the story behind that incredible picture, looks like some giant from Norway or something?

keirstream

Reaction score
That’s some real thoughtful fishing about trying to nick those runners? Back in the day I’ve fished all day and seen nothing and in timing with the tide some ten miles up I remember seeing the first signs of fish entering the 500yrd long pool and then passing by in what seemed like hundreds to be gone in a flash.
But I think you’re method has real merit esp with lone runners or just a few as they enter the pool?
I think it’s these runners that can peel line off in a take, and leave you wondering how it didn’t result in a hook up.

By the way your avatar. What’s the story behind that incredible picture, looks like some giant from Norway or something?
No,
just a 70s giant from the Tummel.
Plenty of them in 70s through to noughties.
Different story now though.:(

keirstream

Reaction score

I am lucky I fish a beat maybe 2 miles from the tide so I can pretty much time when fish might pass through.
There are 3 definite hijacking points in the beat at pool tails where you can fish a hover and big fly and nail a runner.
I don't fish the middle of pools in the autmn nowadays, it tends to be full of river fish. I leave them alone and target a fresh runner.(y)

Andrew B

Reaction score
No,
just a 70s giant from the Tummel.
Plenty of them in 70s through to noughties.
Different story now though.:(
Wowzers that’s some fish. By the look of the trees it looks like one of those early springers for which the Tay and Tummel is famed for? Quite sad that some of the only strongholds for fish this size like the Alta or Canada and Russian rivers are near feeding grounds under the ice where man can’t get his greedy mitts on.

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
I was on the Borough waters today and watched a young man land a 7lb salmon, his second one he has ever caught. Watching his enjoyment play, land and get it back in the water was almost as good as landing one myself.

keirstream

Reaction score
Wowzers that’s some fish. By the look of the trees it looks like one of those early springers for which the Tay and Tummel is famed for? Quite sad that some of the only strongholds for fish this size like the Alta or Canada and Russian rivers are near feeding grounds under the ice where man can’t get his greedy mitts on.
The photo was taken by one of the great legends of the Tay , a certain Mr Geordie Stewart, ghillie, personality, raconteur and wind up merchant. Simply the best. (y)
Taken on the banks of the Tay on a Sunday morning, he gave me £3 a pound for it (he bought fish to send to Billingsgate, normal practice in those days), He gave me £100 for that fish and told me to keep the £1 change.
If you want to know more about the life and times of Geordie, contact Philb.
As I said, the man is a legend.:cool:

keirstream

Reaction score
The Tay system held its own throughout the world at that time and rightly so.
Not just there though, lesser known rivers like the Teith and Earn produced monsters on a regular basis.
I have had a 37lbr from the Teith and nearly a 30lbr from the Earn but I know of 40lb+ fish coming from both.
But, its a tough gig nowadays. :(

Thrasher

Reaction score
Many thanks for all your replies about my photos of fish.as stated they were my stepsons first salmon and he enjoyed his day...a few years back the annan and nith fishers were asking if they could not have seasons extended till December..I also heard a few people were allowed to fish after season ended to catch fish for the hatchery..ok we took photos of fish caught and posted them on here.i now realize what we should have done was take a photo of them in the net.lying on bank then handled it removed hooks and put them back
Every day is a school day. (y)

Andrew B

Reaction score
The photo was taken by one of the great legends of the Tay , a certain Mr Geordie Stewart, ghillie, personality, raconteur and wind up merchant. Simply the best. (y)
Taken on the banks of the Tay on a Sunday morning, he gave me £3 a pound for it (he bought fish to send to Billingsgate, normal practice in those days), He gave me £100 for that fish and told me to keep the £1 change.
If you want to know more about the life and times of Geordie, contact Philb.
As I said, the man is a legend.:cool:
Wow by maths it would be around 33lb and I would still argue that no amount of rod n line caught fish that ended up at Billingsgate had any effect on fish numbers or caused the decline that’s happened.
Those old Ghillies and characters on these rivers were something else in my book and truly knew their stuff?
Read a great story of a Tay Ghillie asking a young lad to go and catch some salmon parr with maggots? Then come midnight he took the young lad and author of the story out in the boat to go and catch “something” after two hours had gone by with nothing he said to get ready as their quarry always came out hunt at 2:00am. Sure enough their salmon parr baits were taken and two double figure cannibal trout that fed exclusively on salmon parr were duly dispatched and taken out of the equation.

Someone who remembers these knowledgeable old ghillies was the famous trout fisherman Oliver Edwards and when asked about pet hates, he replied “ 17 year old ghillies who think they know everything”😂

Bruino

Reaction score
Tony, I feel for you.
No mention of the Clyde? Come here ,have your own personal guide, picnic lunches supplied treated like a lord and you even managed to catch some fish. We know who are friends are. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hopefully we will see you back next season Tom.

Grilse1

Reaction score
I was fishing the Clyde for grayling today and hooked and landed a trout on the bugs ....... can someone report me to the fishing police 👌👌👌 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

That’s a joke for the serious chaps

keirstream

Reaction score
No mention of the Clyde? Come here ,have your own personal guide, picnic lunches supplied treated like a lord and you even managed to catch some fish. We know who are friends are. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Hopefully we will see you back next season Tom.
Kind of been warned about going off subject in this thread John. :)
I only fished the Clyde 3 times and by then it was past it's best although the fish I got in August were good.
Yes, back next year and fishing earlier if I don't get trampled underfoot in the rush for seasons.:eek::eek:
Your porridge is good thanks very much.(y)
Apologies to all for highjacking the thread.

westie4566

Reaction score
Many thanks for all your replies about my photos of fish.as stated they were my stepsons first salmon and he enjoyed his day...a few years back the annan and nith fishers were asking if they could not have seasons extended till December..I also heard a few people were allowed to fish after season ended to catch fish for the hatchery..ok we took photos of fish caught and posted them on here.i now realize what we should have done was take a photo of them in the net.lying on bank then handled it removed hooks and put them back
Fair play to your stepson on his first fish FD, he didn't know and better. With utter respect to you and I'm NOT being nasty in any way. Perhaps you should have known better in this case? Surely you should have realised the fish you were catching were spent or on the way to being spent and just stopped? The last one excepted iirc. Nowt to do with nets and pics....just a need to realise what you were targeting and reel in and go home.

Hey ho, this season is done and dusted...all the best for the next one for you and your stepson.

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Thanks for that Westie.got caught up in the moment..he takes me all over the place fishing and he has seen me catching a few.i was chuffed when he connected..Got him into trout fishing and he has done really well with it..he has tried my salmon fly rod but he is needing more time on river with it..

Rennie

Reaction score
Just a bit of Nith orientated memories getting us back on track.
When I (far too late) discovered Mid Nithsdale and fishing the Nith at the back end, I took a couple of blocks of 3 days fishing there staying at the George hotel, might have been late Oct. ish. Even then the river was dropping off alarmingly in terms of catches.Any way, I paid up and rocked up to thrash the water to a foam.
Back then it was long bellied Spey profiled full lines off my 16ft 9/10 Powerlite, way over gunned, but hey ho.
I loved the bit down at Red Broo's, Hedge End and Wee Porters. So one morning having fished through the above two pools I was just stood on the bank top at Wee Porters getting ready to jump in and flog the water.Right where it should a fish showed and it wasn't small!.So I wandered down for another look and to mark the spot, when blow me the fish showed again, a great big lump of silvery lumpiness with definitely "I'm a Grey Back" written all over it!.
Ran to the pool top, new cast of 18lb Maxima, 1" brass Willie G. tube on my Inty. line and started to work down towards the fish.Now usually, the story go's worked through the lay for no joy!.This time however, the casting went well and right where it should something obliged.
From the off, wasn't small, I knew that well enough.I was dishing out pasty aplenty, but making little ground and Salar ever so slowly dropped down stream a yd at a time.
Now the old hands will know, Wee Porter's was a restricted pool length wise as to when historically it was Porters, and I was being dragged ever more inevitably towards the beat March where a stream entered the river.
By now, I noticed I'd an audience on the opposite bank on what I took to be the beat below, a guy worming, he reeled in to watch.As I reached the stream, the last of my fly line slid out of the tip ring and the Dacron backing started to follow it.Having been playing the fish for a good while now, I thought I could exert my presence, and stop the carry on, turn the fish and get it in the net!.
No chance!, my backing continued to slide out the tip ring and it was decision time, so stealed my self and strode into the stream to follow the fish.
My audience at that point spoke up, reminded me of the fact I was about to enter another beat, that if I did, he would report me and was quite within his right to cast out at any point and maybe hook my line by accident.
I called back, I'd hooked this fish some way upstream- which he's seen- and was entitled to follow it.He spoke the same dialogue again and left me under no illusion that I wasn't to follow the fish..
So I dug the heels in, upped the brakes and still Salar dropped ever more slowly downstream.Eventually with 100yds of Dacron and 40yds of flyline out the hook pulled.
I'd a long wind in back and as I looked up the chap was on his toes off and away.It was my last day fishing and I was driving straight home on finishing fishing, or I'd have been most tempted to raise the issue further, wade the river and go chasing or at least ask back at the George whom I should be complaining to!.
Any way, lived n learned and all that, but seriously hope that guy's worms were dead every single time he ever went fishing after that!
Still wonder about that fish!
Pedro.

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
Just a bit of Nith orientated memories getting us back on track.
When I (far too late) discovered Mid Nithsdale and fishing the Nith at the back end, I took a couple of blocks of 3 days fishing there staying at the George hotel, might have been late Oct. ish. Even then the river was dropping off alarmingly in terms of catches.Any way, I paid up and rocked up to thrash the water to a foam.
Back then it was long bellied Spey profiled full lines off my 16ft 9/10 Powerlite, way over gunned, but hey ho.
I loved the bit down at Red Broo's, Hedge End and Wee Porters. So one morning having fished through the above two pools I was just stood on the bank top at Wee Porters getting ready to jump in and flog the water.Right where it should a fish showed and it wasn't small!.So I wandered down for another look and to mark the spot, when blow me the fish showed again, a great big lump of silvery lumpiness with definitely "I'm a Grey Back" written all over it!.
Ran to the pool top, new cast of 18lb Maxima, 1" brass Willie G. tube on my Inty. line and started to work down towards the fish.Now usually, the story go's worked through the lay for no joy!.This time however, the casting went well and right where it should something obliged.
From the off, wasn't small, I knew that well enough.I was dishing out pasty aplenty, but making little ground and Salar ever so slowly dropped down stream a yd at a time.
Now the old hands will know, Wee Porter's was a restricted pool length wise as to when historically it was Porters, and I was being dragged ever more inevitably towards the beat March where a stream entered the river.
By now, I noticed I'd an audience on the opposite bank on what I took to be the beat below, a guy worming, he reeled in to watch.As I reached the stream, the last of my fly line slid out of the tip ring and the Dacron backing started to follow it.Having been playing the fish for a good while now, I thought I could exert my presence, and stop the carry on, turn the fish and get it in the net!.
No chance!, my backing continued to slide out the tip ring and it was decision time, so stealed my self and strode into the stream to follow the fish.
My audience at that point spoke up, reminded me of the fact I was about to enter another beat, that if I did, he would report me and was quite within his right to cast out at any point and maybe hook my line by accident.
I called back, I'd hooked this fish some way upstream- which he's seen- and was entitled to follow it.He spoke the same dialogue again and left me under no illusion that I wasn't to follow the fish..
So I dug the heels in, upped the brakes and still Salar dropped ever more slowly downstream.Eventually with 100yds of Dacron and 40yds of flyline out the hook pulled.
I'd a long wind in back and as I looked up the chap was on his toes off and away.It was my last day fishing and I was driving straight home on finishing fishing, or I'd have been most tempted to raise the issue further, wade the river and go chasing or at least ask back at the George whom I should be complaining to!.
Any way, lived n learned and all that, but seriously hope that guy's worms were dead every single time he ever went fishing after that!
Still wonder about that fish!
Pedro.
Great story and felt I was a most there watching too.
But aside from losing that big fish what is the rule to the situation you found yourself in.
Can you follow down through another beat(s) should the fish decide to head back to sea?

and the obvious next question is: what weight do you think was in it having saw it twice?

Wee Porters

Reaction score
Cracking write up Rennie.👍

To be honest though you've got me lost, I know that section well enough, so before I reply in full can I ask 2 questions. What year roughly do you think that was and what bank were you fishing off?