River Nith 2020

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
How many kelts are caught on the Tay in opening day/week on spinners? Or on many other rivers?
The Tay kelts are fish that have, for the most part, spawned a month or two before. There is a world of difference between fishing then and fishing among spawning fish. Disturbing spawning salmon is an offence, is it not?

keirstream

Reaction score
How many kelts are caught on the Tay in opening day/week on spinners? Or on many other rivers?
Doesn't justify it. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
The Tay is open far too early just as the Solway rivers and the Tweed far too late now.
At least on the Tay the kelts have had a chance to recover and are in 10 times better shape than the fish pictured.
The 1st fish would have given them some sort of clue as to where and what they were likely to catch.
If anglers want to continue spinning for fish on spawning redds then there is nothing to stop them.
Except legislation. Which will happen.
Pictures of grown men holding up recently or nearly spent and blooded fish with spawn and milt flying from them do nothing for the image of our sport.
In fact, it sets it back in many peoples minds.
And rightly so.
You are trying to defend the indefensible.:(

Greegs

Reaction score
So, despite great water, would local experts say that the lack of signs of salmon means they are just not here to be caught? I.E. the Nith is still in decline and in dire form?

No.

The Nith has had some very big runs of fish this season but as usual you have to be in the right place at the right time.

As I said previously we saw loads of fresh fish running a couple of weeks ago but the past week or so we’ve hardly saw a tail.

The water hasn’t been settled though & a lot of the fish maybe won’t show in the height of water we have had.

When we did last have settled water then there was a shoal of very large (possibly greybacks) in a pool.
All fish touching 20lb with a huge fish in amongst them & all in very good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew B

Reaction score
No.

The Nith has had some very big runs of fish this season but as usual you have to be in the right place at the right time.

As I said previously we saw loads of fresh fish running a couple of weeks ago but the past week or so we’ve hardly saw a tail.

The water hasn’t been settled though & a lot of the fish maybe won’t show in the height of water we have had.

When we did last have settled water then there was a shoal of very large (possibly greybacks) in a pool.
All fish touching 20lb with a huge fish in amongst them & all in very good condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s really great news. Had to admit I was surprised in the last T&S report to hear of good numbers on the Cairn?

Andrew B

Reaction score
The Tay is open far too early just as the Solway rivers and the Tweed far too late now.
At least on the Tay the kelts have had a chance to recover and are in 10 times better shape than the fish pictured.
The 1st fish would have given them some sort of clue as to where and what they were likely to catch.
If anglers want to continue spinning for fish on spawning redds then there is nothing to stop them.
Pictures of grown men holding up recently or nearly spent and blooded fish with spawn and milt flying from them do nothing for the image of our sport.
And rightly so.

Yep none of it made sense since it’s not like the forum is made up of catch n release only type fisherman. And in any case this has nothing to do with catch and release or indeed fishing for sport. It’s just common sense that was already inbuilt into us all from the day we started fishing for trout and salmon.
The argument about taking a fresh fish for the table and hooking fish off the redds just doesn’t hold up imo.
I don’t think anyone has said anything hurtful but the very fact that the OP who showed the pics had to say I don’t want to raise any arguments kinds of suggests he knew it wasn’t wholly ok?

That said the Wear thread did deserve the scorn it got imo.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Yep none of it made sense since it’s not like the forum is made up of catch n release only type fisherman. And in any case this has nothing to do with catch and release or indeed fishing for sport. It’s just common sense that was already inbuilt into us all from the day we started fishing for trout and salmon.
The argument about taking a fresh fish for the table and hooking fish off the redds just doesn’t hold up imo.
I don’t think anyone has said anything hurtful but the very fact that the OP who showed the pics had to say I don’t want to raise any arguments kinds of suggests he knew it wasn’t wholly ok?

That said the Wear thread did deserve the scorn it got imo.
I went for a look on the Wear thread. A few fish heading for the salt barrel there!

mc andy

Reaction score
I wish the Nith would return to days of old.
The upper reaches are little more than an hour away , and I’d take a season in a flash.
Fished Thornhill for a few year and would return in a minute if things turned around, cracking water to fish. Just had the wormers to dodge round :unsure: :)

Always amazed me how much gravel bottom rivers changed each year. Great pools trashed in spate, and nothing water transformed into deep holding pools.

TowySewin

Reaction score
Another 7 hours on Nith today apart from about 20 minutes for food.
Lovely water, but no sign of a salmon; not a distant vague sound of a splash or a wee surface movement to indicate a fish.
So no signs of running fish, nor residents or spawners where I am.
Advice on grayling tactics in strong flows in upper Nith please, fly only.
Thanks.

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
Having fished since the age of 8 and reached my sixties, it saddens me the attitude of some that scorn and look down on the methods I fish with. I fish the fly, throw a spinner and worm depending on the conditions. I only fish for salmon, not even sea trout or trout. Chronic arthritis in my back and shoulders limits the time I can spend in the water enjoying the sport I have loved for 50 plus years. In low waters I can lather the water for an hour or two before heading home, or spin for the same time. Worming lasts longer as it requires less effort. As the water goes up, my time fishing goes down, or precludes some methods altogether. In an effort to enhance the salmon numbers and the environment I have spent 12 years as a unpaid voluntary water bailiff (qualified Bailiff, member of the Institute of Fisheries Management) and even worked for a season on the Nith with Mr Henderson. I was the Clerk to the Board of the D(K)SFB and assisted in their hatchery for a number of years. And yet I'm looked down apon from some younger fitter hollier than thow younger men for fishing a worm or spinning. I respectfully suggest some might wish to take care for what you wish for. You might one day be in a different position to the one you find yourself in today and without knowledge of your efforts to enhance the salmon stocks and river environment, you might like to volunteer some of your angling time to helping improve the river and fish numbers before banning methods used by the likes of me. (Tin hats available on request)

mc andy

Reaction score
Having fished since the age of 8 and reached my sixties, it saddens me the attitude of some that scorn and look down on the methods I fish with. I fish the fly, throw a spinner and worm depending on the conditions. I only fish for salmon, not even sea trout or trout. Chronic arthritis in my back and shoulders limits the time I can spend in the water enjoying the sport I have loved for 50 plus years. In low waters I can lather the water for an hour or two before heading home, or spin for the same time. Worming lasts longer as it requires less effort. As the water goes up, my time fishing goes down, or precludes some methods altogether. In an effort to enhance the salmon numbers and the environment I have spent 12 years as a unpaid voluntary water bailiff (qualified Bailiff, member of the Institute of Fisheries Management) and even worked for a season on the Nith with Mr Henderson. I was the Clerk to the Board of the D(K)SFB and assisted in their hatchery for a number of years. And yet I'm looked down apon from some younger fitter hollier than thow younger men for fishing a worm or spinning. I respectfully suggest some might wish to take care for what you wish for. You might one day be in a different position to the one you find yourself in today and without knowledge of your efforts to enhance the salmon stocks and river environment, you might like to volunteer some of your angling time to helping improve the river and fish numbers before banning methods used by the likes of me. (Tin hats available on request)
Regardless if you were? Are replying to my quote? I don't care. Mid Nith has so much water to cover it really wasn't a problem. Just once in a while it might of been nice that someone reeled in and let you fish through. Personally I wouldn't judge anyone for the method they choose to fish, as long as they, we all abide by the same rules! Step and cast.

Cheers andy

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score

Tin hats off to you Sir for the voluntary effort you have put back into your sport over the years.
To be highly commended, thank you. (y)
I'm afraid, however, that any criticism of any part of salmon fishing inevitably attracts some vitriolic reactions
and this thread has seen quite enough of that.
However, you have grasped the wrong end of the rod as it were.
There was never any attack on any method of fishing be it spinning or worming.
Only questions as to whether using those methods on spawning fish breaches morality rather than legality.
Can you, as a bailliff and a member of the I.F.M. actually condone what has been seen on here?
These fish are well spent, but targetted specifically by flying Cs and literally dragged off the redds with absolutely no energy left to fight. Then held aloft for trophy shots with milt, ova and blood flying from them.
Not only that, one of the anglers decides that after he has seen fish hauled out, he needs to get in on the act, gets the spinning rod and has another go himself.
Spinning and worming are perfectly acceptable at the right time and in the right place.
I would suggest that neither of these parameters were ticked in this instance.
As I have said, if we don't restrain ourselves from these actions, legislation will do that for us.

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
Tin hats off to you Sir for the voluntary effort you have put back into your sport over the years.
To be highly commended, thank you. (y)
I'm afraid, however, that any criticism of any part of salmon fishing inevitably attracts some vitriolic reactions
and this thread has seen quite enough of that.
However, you have grasped the wrong end of the rod as it were.
There was never any attack on any method of fishing be it spinning or worming.
Only questions as to whether using those methods on spawning fish breaches morality rather than legality.
Can you, as a bailliff and a member of the I.F.M. actually condone what has been seen on here?
These fish are well spent, but targetted specifically by flying Cs and literally dragged off the redds with absolutely no energy left to fight. Then held aloft for trophy shots with milt, ova and blood flying from them.
Not only that, one of the anglers decides that after he has seen fish hauled out, he needs to get in on the act, gets the spinning rod and has another go himself.
Spinning and worming are perfectly acceptable at the right time and in the right place.
I would suggest that neither of these parameters were ticked in this instance.
As I have said, if we don't restrain ourselves from these actions, legislation will do that for us.
Many thanks for your reply and I agree with your sentiments about fishing over reds. I would however disagree with the idea that only spinners or worms catch fish on the reds as a fly will catch just as many, therefore anyone fishing those stretches would be just as guilty as the fisher standing next to him using a different method.
I'm lucky in some respects as I fish the Borough waters where fresh(ish) fish are still coming in as we discuss the decline in numbers. Opening times are decided and legislated for by people with a vastly much better knowledge of spawning times than I could ever get my head around, but they are set so the least disturbance is caused by anglers. Beat owners have the ability, and some on the river do, to shorten the season. Anglers also have the ability to to fish the lower river than the top but of course, fish numbers are much less down here at this time of year. I suppose the only solution would be to ban all types of angling and not just specific methods and that would have to be for the whole river as fish do spawn in the main river even in the lower reaches. If I was to suggest a shorter season I think I would need more than just a tin hat

Andrew B

Reaction score
Having fished since the age of 8 and reached my sixties, it saddens me the attitude of some that scorn and look down on the methods I fish with. I fish the fly, throw a spinner and worm depending on the conditions. I only fish for salmon, not even sea trout or trout. Chronic arthritis in my back and shoulders limits the time I can spend in the water enjoying the sport I have loved for 50 plus years. In low waters I can lather the water for an hour or two before heading home, or spin for the same time. Worming lasts longer as it requires less effort. As the water goes up, my time fishing goes down, or precludes some methods altogether. In an effort to enhance the salmon numbers and the environment I have spent 12 years as a unpaid voluntary water bailiff (qualified Bailiff, member of the Institute of Fisheries Management) and even worked for a season on the Nith with Mr Henderson. I was the Clerk to the Board of the D(K)SFB arnd assisted in their hatchery for a number of years. And yet I'm looked down apon from some younger fitter hollier than thow younger men for fishing a worm or spinning. I respectfully suggest some might wish to take care for what you wish for. You might one day be in a different position to the one you find yourself in today and without knowledge of your efforts to enhance the salmon stocks and river environment, you might like to volunteer some of your angling time to helping improve the river and fish numbers before banning methods used by the likes of me. (Tin hats available on request)
Like I posted earlier I think the worm is a very skilful method from what I’ve seen very difficult to replicate. I just just don’t have the feel for it and get snagged up on the bottom.

Thrasher

Reaction score
And rightly so.
Not trying to defend anything, I am trying to point out the hypocrisy of statements made about perceived acceptabilty by some on others catches.
For anyone fishes in the spring and catching a kelt, shame on you, there, got it in early in case I forget.

Sadmanfishing

Reaction score
Not trying to defend anything, I am trying to point out the hypocrisy of statements made about perceived acceptabilty by some on others catches.
For anyone fishes in the spring and catching a kelt, shame on you, there, got it in early in case I forget.
And a surviving kelt from this year could be (provided it survives the sealice, seals etc) a 20 plus for next year

kingfisher

Well known member
Reaction score
And a surviving kelt from this year could be (provided it survives the sealice, seals etc) a 20 plus for next year
You should know better then that when kelts are being caught that there are fresh fish coming into the system on most rivers.
Kelts caught are an unfortunate bycatch of genuinely trying for a Fresh run fish.
Alternatively fishing in the last few weeks of the season the odds of catching a fresh run fish are near zero and the resulting catches are as seen earlier in this thread!
I think we have to protect both tbh and pre spawning fish the most for obvious reasons.

ibm59

Reaction score
I wish the Nith would return to days of old.
The upper reaches are little more than an hour away , and I’d take a season in a flash.
Does Upper Nithsdale issue seasons for non locals ?
Very little info online.

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Many thanks for all your replies about my photos of fish.as stated they were my stepsons first salmon and he enjoyed his day...a few years back the annan and nith fishers were asking if they could not have seasons extended till December..I also heard a few people were allowed to fish after season ended to catch fish for the hatchery..ok we took photos of fish caught and posted them on here.i now realize what we should have done was take a photo of them in the net.lying on bank then handled it removed hooks and put them back

TowySewin

Reaction score
Again today, no sign of a salmon on whole of the beat. I must admit to giving up and surrendering at 14.45 as hands were soooo verrrrry cold. Brrrrrrr.
Any news of fish seen or encountered on the Nith anywhere today?
Seems like my chances are dwindling rapidly for a specimen.