River Nith 2020

Thrasher

Reaction score
Was down the burgh yesterday afternoon. A few lads out but nothing caught that I am aware of.

Saw a couple of running fish show.

salarchaser

Reaction score
With Boris having us locked down, think I'll have to give the rest of the season a miss.
Only managed 3 days end aug / early sept.
First time for a good few years without a Nith salmon.

Greegs

Reaction score
Back down nithsdale yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours.
Still fish splashing about but really low crystal clear water.

Need a lift in water that we will hopefully get today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hut pool

Reaction score
livingston west lothian or on a river 75mls from h
With Boris having us locked down, think I'll have to give the rest of the season a miss.
Only managed 3 days end aug / early sept.
First time for a good few years without a Nith salmon.
Sad days.....I always look forward to your report's, don't know if I'll get down, keeping an eye on the water levels this week, a wee rise might trigger a response ,if not there's always the...... spring run

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Greegs

Reaction score

Hopefully be plenty of fish on the move with that lift in water.

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Was down the water at Sanquhar today with my stepson.we landed 3 fish..all well coloured all fish hooked on spinners..I fished fly all day but not any offers.stepson gave me a wee shot of his spinning rod.and managed 1

Attachments

• IMG-20201120-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20201120-WA0005.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG-20201120-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20201120-WA0003.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG-20201120-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20201120-WA0002.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG-20201120-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20201120-WA0001.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 185

Lamson v10

Reaction score
I'll put the tin hat on for this post, first fish the milt is running out it and in my opinion any fish in that condition should not be handled that way, second fish with the amount of blood that's on the waders that fish is as good as a gonner, third fish the milt is running out of it, it's my opinion but fish in this condition should never be handled in this way or photographed for trophy shots

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Not any excuses.was my stepson first salmon and he wanted a photo.the fish took a flying c.lure and fish were photographed and returned as quickly as we could.the season is finished for us..but ends officially at end of November and unfortunately you can't prepare for hooking only great conditioned fish..just thought I would post the photos to let members see fish do get caught from nith..not looking for an argument...the fish were held until they swam away..1 fish had its arse ripped open probably seal had a go at it.....all fish swam away...fd

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Most members already know fish get caught on the nith ?? also looks like photo 1 is the same fish as photo 3 going by the spots on the Gill cover anal fin damage and vent damage , why the need to take two separate photos of a fish in that condition is beyond me, not a good advert for the nith, but again it's just my opinion

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.i respect that.As I have said I'm not looking for arguments over a day at fishing..

kingfisher

Stay Safe
Reaction score
Not any excuses.was my stepson first salmon and he wanted a photo.the fish took a flying c.lure and fish were photographed and returned as quickly as we could.the season is finished for us..but ends officially at end of November and unfortunately you can't prepare for hooking only great conditioned fish..just thought I would post the photos to let members see fish do get caught from nith..not looking for an argument...the fish were held until they swam away..1 fish had its arse ripped open probably seal had a go at it.....all fish swam away...fd
Was that down at the long horse and Sandys hole pools ?

Greegs

Reaction score
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.i respect that.As I have said I'm not looking for arguments over a day at fishing..

Hi buddy. Was me you were speaking to when you caught the second & third fish.

Not a lot about the past week or so.

Big run of fresh fish a couple of weeks ago but river has went very quiet.

Well done again on the Son in law getting his 1st & 2nd salmon.

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Hi buddy. Was me you were speaking to when you caught the second & third fish.

Not a lot about the past week or so.

Big run of fresh fish a couple of weeks ago but river has went very quiet.

Well done again on the Son in law getting his 1st & 2nd salmon.

Hi Greegs.nice talking to you today..was our last day because of lockdown...thanks for your reply..tight lines

Greegs

Reaction score
Hi Greegs.nice talking to you today..was our last day because of lockdown...thanks for your reply..tight lines

Same as us.

We are East Ayrshire & can’t travel down.

I witnessed 2 of the releases today & they were both back in the water very quickly.

It’s unfortunate that they weren’t clean fish but we can’t pick & choose what we catch.

fishingdaft

Reaction score
Same as us.

We are East Ayrshire & can’t travel down.

I witnessed 2 of the releases today & they were both back in the water very quickly.

It’s unfortunate that they weren’t clean fish but we can’t pick & choose what we catch.

Fished all season when allowed to visit.and although the fish were in the condition they were.that was Garry.s first fish and he is still going on about it....he had seen a couple of fish showing a few weeks back and he connected with 1 of them.after a few min he lost it...I had hoped for a fish for him all day and he managed 2.....that's him hooked.......

TowySewin

Reaction score
Was on an upper Nith beat today. Seemed like good fly water in places, too high for fly in others, some places too low for a lure like a 9cm Countdown Rapala.
Having seen a considerable amount of fish on Annan, a week ago and for previous four weeks (up to 30 shows a day) and last week saw a few fish every day on Urr, with talk of 'best season for years on Nith' for weeks and weeks, I thought I would at least see one or two today. I saw no signs of a salmon!
I fished the same beat 12 years ago, but 3 weeks earlier, with 2 to 3ft more water and saw nearly a hunderd fish show in the week I was there and caught 8 in a week.
Gauge at Dalgig 0.7 yesterday, fell to 0.61 today and now due to heavy rain, its rising.
So Nith experts, any guesses for prospects for the week ahaead? Please help to raise my hopes and spirits....
I have grayling fly tackle with me....;););)

gaula

Reaction score
Hi
A lot will depend on which beat you are fishing, and the
methods you can fish.,
at 7.45pm tonight, the height at Drumlanrig was 2ft 6'' &
rising, if the rain continues heavy overnight, it could well
be unfishable tomorrow, as the Nith has a very large catchment
area.more rain forecast tomorrow, then dry for a couple of days
or so. best chance from Wednesday onward I would say.

tight lines.

Wee Porters

Reaction score
Was on an upper Nith beat today. Seemed like good fly water in places, too high for fly in others, some places too low for a lure like a 9cm Countdown Rapala.
Having seen a considerable amount of fish on Annan, a week ago and for previous four weeks (up to 30 shows a day) and last week saw a few fish every day on Urr, with talk of 'best season for years on Nith' for weeks and weeks, I thought I would at least see one or two today. I saw no signs of a salmon!
I fished the same beat 12 years ago, but 3 weeks earlier, with 2 to 3ft more water and saw nearly a hunderd fish show in the week I was there and caught 8 in a week.
Gauge at Dalgig 0.7 yesterday, fell to 0.61 today and now due to heavy rain, its rising.
So Nith experts, any guesses for prospects for the week ahaead? Please help to raise my hopes and spirits....
I have grayling fly tackle with me....;););)

Not sure where you fished so can't comment on that beat but I'm familiar with the Thornhill stretch, the bottom end of the beat, Red Broos and Hedge End will fish the spinner and worm in a big water, 5ft+ on the Drumlanrig gauge, Scaurfoot would also fish in a big water. Access to these pools when the Scaur is big is from near Porterstown farm south of Keir village. At about 3ft you could fish from the Sewage pool, then Kellocks all the way to the Hut pool at Kirkbog on the right bank. The same height would be ok for the Cloft, Camplefoot and Mathies, [left bank]. There's usually somewhere fishable on the beat unless the river is a crazy height, even when it's low there's pools that come into there own, some on the castle stretch and also the Rock pool down the bottom end. As for fish, well I can't promise you'll see them.

As for the SEPA gauges, I'd give the one at Dalgig a miss, it's away above New Cumnock, far better going by the one at the Hall bridge between New Cumnock and Kirkconnel if you're fishing Upper Nithsdale or the one at the castle if you're fishing in the Thornhill area and downstream.

In 2008, 12 years ago we had a cracking back end run, they just kept pouring in from the Solway, think the catch returns were well over 4000 that year, sadly it's been a steep decline since then.

Last edited: