River Moy breakdown of catches .

(Smolt)

Reaction score
Any idea where the Lions share of the fish were caught? The "other" beat?

simoncassidy

Reaction score
3577 from Ballina to above Foxford,11 fisheries with a total average of 325 each to fill the quota.Costing between e20 and e50 per day excluding Foxford and Mount Falcon.IFI charge e120 for a half day on a fishery that produced 163,
Something doesn't add up:noidea::noidea:

(Smolt)

Reaction score
3577 from Ballina to above Foxford,11 fisheries with a total average of 325 each to fill the quota.Costing between e20 and e50 per day excluding Foxford and Mount Falcon.IFI charge e120 for a half day on a fishery that produced 163,
Aye, state of Denmark and all that :lol:

kenny sloan

Reaction score
I was in contact with some of the waterkeepers for salmon caught during 2019 , what i have so far is (1 ) Foxford Salmon Anglers 663.....(2) Foxford Private 495 ....(3).Knockmore 250......(4) Attymass.....approx 50 . (5) Mount Falcon after 2 requests no reply ,(6) Ballina the same .,(7) Coolcronan the same . Still to contact (8)Gannons, (9)Armstrongs, (10)Byrnes fishery have heard no anglers fishing here .

Hibernicus

Reaction score
The breakdown of catches for East Mayo were reported as:
March 9; April 60; May 62; June 363; July 127; August 88; and September 56.
Total 765 as stated above.
The first two week of June were extraordinary and seem to reflect a later run of what would have been May springers.
I didn't get up this year!
H

Last edited:

kenny sloan

Reaction score
The breakdown of catches for East Mayo were reported as:
March 9; April 60; May 62; June 363; July 127; August 88; and September 56.
Total 765 as stated above.
The first two week of June were extraordinary and seem to reflect a later run of what would have been May springers.
I didn't get up this year!
H
Yes East Mayo Club fished very good ,also The Foxford Private Fishery, then again it would depend on number of anglers and water conditions ,the Ridge pool area water conditions were not great Aug,Sept .

Woodsy

Reaction score
Attymass got well more than 50 i'm sure. I saw about 20 lifted in one day at the end of July myself.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Seen this on Facebook...
The Jewel in the Irish Salmon Crown is under pressure.

Here is a cutting from the Western People.

COUNCIL TO MEET IFI AND OPW ABOUT POOR MOY ANGLING

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18, 2019
Representatives of the OPW and Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI) are to be invited to meet Mayo Co Council representatives in Ballina to consider how to improve salmon fishing on the Moy.

River Moy in Ballina
Salmon catch numbers on the Moy for the 2019 angling season were unexpectedly low.

The meeting was proposed by local Cllr John O’Hara who told a Ballina Municipal District meeting that he had received a lot of calls expressing concern about how bad the fishing has been in Ballina and Foxford.

Last September the IFI’s manager for the River Moy, Mr Declan Cooke, told the Western People that salmon catch numbers on the Moy for the 2019 angling season had been unexpectedly low and “really very poor”.

The 2019 season total catch was just over 4,000 which represents a 20% reduction on the Moy’s salmon catch total for 2018 which was 5,200.

More concerning is the fact that, with minimum floods, the weather conditions were mostly conducive to a good season this year which leaves the drop in catches unexplained.

Speaking at last Wednesday’s Ballina Municipal District meeting, Cllr O’Hara argued that the stretch of the Moy between Ballina and Foxford needs to be dredged and its banks cleared.

If Ballina is to continue to be marketed as the Salmon Capital of Ireland then the river needs to have a better stock of fish, he stressed: “We should call a meeting in January and come together with the IFI and OPW to get things moving. Salmon angling and the proposed Salmon Life Centre are things we need in order to be able to sell Ballina.”

Ballina Municipal District cathaoirleach, Cllr Michael Loftus, supported Cllr O’Hara’s notice of motion.

He said the OPW should be asked about cleaning the river, given that lots of debris has been washed into it during the storms of recent years including 129 bales of silage.

Noting that the town should be referred to as the Salmon Capital of Europe, Cllr Annie May Reape said it was also unfortunate that freshly caught wild Moy salmon cannot be eaten in any of the town’s local restaurants.

Filed under: Ballina News, Foxford News, IFI. OPW, River Moy, Salmon Angling

kenny sloan

Reaction score
They can make up whatever numbers they want . "Speaking at last Wednesday’s Ballina Municipal District meeting, Cllr O’Hara argued that the stretch of the Moy between Ballina and Foxford needs to be dredged and its banks cleared." ..Well that should bring the numbers of salmon back .

wilbach

Reaction score
God almighty, some people talk a load of **** at best, dredging the river, do you really think that will make any difference? I despair at these sort of views. Dredging the river originally certainly helped with its present decline. The way things are it won’t get any better, you have not seen the worse yet!

ArchieL

Reaction score
4000 or 5000 fish caught is a stuff of dreams for most river systems in Scotland now. There still must be a healthy enough stock of fish running the system if rods can catch 4000 fish ? Why do you think you are getting lower catches on the system ? I grew up reading the fishing reports from the Moy system and could not believe the numbers people were catching back in the day. Really should have made a point of going when it was it its peak but our local rivers were also a magnificent place to catch fish so i never did get round to fishing the famous Moy.

wilbach

Reaction score
One lost yesterday by a good friend of mine, a good springer but if you do fish with a 7 lbs leader, yes well. He was fishing light and fine with a single worm on East Mayo. Ideal weather height at the moment!