River Leven/loch Lomond 2021

Royal Game

Reaction score
Thanks K MacC.

I'll take your word about most brownies migrating, but years ago I used to have good sport in the summer months with brownies (some really good ones too) upstream of Coolies so disappointed not to see a single trout.

I did see 5 goosanders though which might have had an impact. 2 took off from Coolies itself as I approached it, and a further 3 were swimming round the corner upstream when I was walking.

Never really liked Barns Ford stretch but will do as you suggest and go for a walk there.

Thanks again,

John

leetaylor1974

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks K MacC.

I'll take your word about most brownies migrating, but years ago I used to have good sport in the summer months with brownies (some really good ones too) upstream of Coolies so disappointed not to see a single trout.

I did see 5 goosanders though which might have had an impact. 2 took off from Coolies itself as I approached it, and a further 3 were swimming round the corner upstream when I was walking.

Never really liked Barns Ford stretch but will do as you suggest and go for a walk there.

Thanks again,

John
Hi John

The last couple years i have been up the Endrick to target the Trout even when the river is at summer low, Scaling everything down in size, I regularly hit trout between 1/2 to 1 pound in size. Most fish are found in the slower shaded deeper pools. It pays to creep about on the riverbank.

All the best

Lee

Royal Game

Reaction score
Thanks Lee,

I have spent the last 18 years fishing the Hampshire chalk streams so totally understand the need to be careful when going after the trout in low conditions.

I agree that the size isn't as big as salmon or sea trout, but on light tackle, even a half pounder can be great fun. The joy of spotting a fish, stalking it and getting it to take a dry fly is a joy that I hope never leaves me.

Interesting to hear that someone else goes after the trout too - hopefully get a chance to have a chat and pick your brains at some point.

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Surprised the first fish wasn't taken this week with the big tides, guess we'll see if there really is nothing there with more anglers on the bank worming this weekend, even with the low water you'd expect the odd fish to be pushing through. Back to small tides next week.

jamiew

Reaction score
Any day now Ross!! At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Heading down for a couple hours punishment today.
Hopefully there is a springer or two sitting off the castle waiting for the weir to fill enough for them to head up and meet me upstream 😀.
Good luck if your heading down. Cheers j

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Any day now Ross!! At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Heading down for a couple hours punishment today.
Hopefully there is a springer or two sitting off the castle waiting for the weir to fill enough for them to head up and meet me upstream 😀.
Good luck if your heading down. Cheers j
Aye I'm a glutton for punishment too, down on the fly from renton to blue bridge and only a wee brownie to show for it though I probably spent more time sitting on the grass watching the snooker 😂

Last edited:

tealblue

Reaction score
My nephew was telling me that there are a pod of dolphins in in the estuary between Cardross and Dumbarton rock. So what are these predators feeding on?

Royal Game

Reaction score
Trouble is that we have over-fished the inshore waters so much that the usual food they'd feed on is gone, so they have option but to to move to different waters to feed.

That said, as Ross says, pretty much anything that swims is food for them.

Tarpon

Reaction score
Guess they Dolphins have been targeting the Lomond fish and ignoring the Main river and its other tributaries, oh well sure they taste good .