River Leven/loch Lomond 2021

highlander gus

Reaction score
My point above is still the same jonnieb. If someone has a ticket which states something in writing and there is no requirement for them to read any facebook, blog, forum or website then they should not be held responsible for making a mistake.

It's up to the committee to sort this out and not by merely updating a webpage. Not everyone even reads this forum.
As they say ignorance of the law is no deference and you can't dispatch a fish till 1st of May, but yes they should with drawn the tickets and reissue new ones :)

Royal Game

Reaction score
Gus, as salmo76 already pointed out, the LAW requires only that no salmon are killed up till the end of March. If it is LLAIA byelaws which state that members cannot do this till 1st May then it's not enforceable by law. only sanctions by the club itself.

A very difficult one for the committee to pursue since it is the committee mistake that has given written permission to take a fish in April.

highlander gus

Reaction score
Gus, as salmo76 already pointed out, the LAW requires only that no salmon are killed up till the end of March. If it is LLAIA byelaws which state that members cannot do this till 1st May then it's not enforceable by law. only sanctions by the club itself.

A very difficult one for the committee to pursue since it is the committee mistake that has given written permission to take a fish in April.
You are correct apologies but it was voted and approved by the members so yes it’s classed as a by law, so mistake or not and they shouldn’t just put a post on the LLAIA web site but remove the tickets and re issue these to all members where it is incorrect.
a bit of a shocker they never checked these before now but i must admit i don’t read the bye laws on the permit either, so yes they have put themselves in a sticky position with it only being a bye law and not a legality under Scot’s law.

highlander gus

Reaction score
I just looked at their facepuke page where they’ve put out a statement that for catagory rules for a cat 2 river , all salmon caught before 1st may must be returned . It’s on the website news and blogs
I have to say i did read it but can’t find supporting evidence regarding the Cat 2 statement which makes me think they know they have screwed up and are trying to hid behind a non existing law, the only one i can find is the April one.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I’m only going by what they say on their website. I might be wrong, but I suspect that it’s been the same printing on the permit as it has been for years. Instead of changing it annually they just inform fishers on the particular year on the conditions according to the category level. That would seem to be the commonsensical route to take . It’s not uncommon for Leven fishers to look for something to moan about - this doesn’t seem any different

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Also the permits are probably printed up in advance of the coming season - without knowing what the cat level and conditions that will be required to be put in place

jonnieb

Reaction score
I’m only going by what they say on their website. I might be wrong, but I suspect that it’s been the same printing on the permit as it has been for years. Instead of changing it annually they just inform fishers on the particular year on the conditions according to the category level. That would seem to be the commonsensical route to take . It’s not uncommon for Leven fishers to look for something to moan about - this doesn’t seem any different

I just looked at their facepuke page where they’ve put out a statement that for catagory rules for a cat 2 river , all salmon caught before 1st may must be returned . It’s on the website news and blogs

If you care to read my first post about the dates on both the tickets they both have written permission April for the big ticket may for the leven ticket. So maybe you can let me know where the moaning bit kicks in other than you

para1

Reaction score
1618652899564.png

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
What a way to start the season, gates shut, Sammy the seal hanging about and blazing sunshine but nonetheless good to be out of glasgow for the first time 5 and a bit months.

highlander gus

Reaction score
Also the permits are probably printed up in advance of the coming season - without knowing what the cat level and conditions that will be required to be put in place
the permits aren’t printed in advance of knowing the CAT which is why the wait till December of that year to print.
It was voted on that the Lomond system would increase the time in which spring fish could not be taken until End of May as our spring run tends to be the last week in April through May.
to be honest i haven’t read the permit in years especially the small print 😂

aberisle

Reaction score
With the prospect of summer low water conditions being implemented on the R. Leven ,I feel it would be in the best interests of anglers to have the river Rep, or bailiff in attendance at the flats 100 yds down stream of the Stirling bridge, when this annual event has to be carried out to ensure we have a flow of water over the redds in this area. There may be an agreement with the water board on this matter. best be safe than sorry.

highlander gus

Reaction score
With the prospect of summer low water conditions being implemented on the R. Leven ,I feel it would be in the best interests of anglers to have the river Rep, or bailiff in attendance at the flats 100 yds down stream of the Stirling bridge, when this annual event has to be carried out to ensure we have a flow of water over the redds in this area. There may be an agreement with the water board on this matter. best be safe than sorry.
Will they not already have hatched

highlander gus

Reaction score
They tend to remain in the area of the redds for a while using the gravel as cover.
Mmh good point but we have an agreement with Scottish Water to keep as a minimum water lvls at weekend hight i think it was till June but need to check, although if there is a drought then that would over ride any compensation water

Stevieob76

Reaction score
Are there still seasons available? Was a member years ago and would like to join again.

Royal Game

Reaction score
Can't see a separate thread for the Endrick, but does anyone on the forum fish for brown trout on the Endrick? I took a walk along the banks a couple of weeks ago from Netherton right past Coolies and Brochmore to the bridge to remind myself of the river and pools when I used to fish it many years ago. Even took a short walk to see the new Hunter's stretch but didn't go far.

River was at summer low and gin clear, and was ideal for spotting trout but didn't see anything at all.

K MacC

Reaction score
Can't see a separate thread for the Endrick, but does anyone on the forum fish for brown trout on the Endrick? I took a walk along the banks a couple of weeks ago from Netherton right past Coolies and Brochmore to the bridge to remind myself of the river and pools when I used to fish it many years ago. Even took a short walk to see the new Hunter's stretch but didn't go far.

River was at summer low and gin clear, and was ideal for spotting trout but didn't see anything at all.
Try Drumtian or Barns ford areas there is usually some half decent brownies about here. But the Endrick has never been a prolific Brown Trout water. Most of the Endrick brownies migrate downstream for better feeding to become sea trout.