River Leven/loch Lomond 2021

para1

Reaction score
1617185956127.png

jonnieb

Reaction score
Any one know of the reason why a big ticket holder is allowed to take a springer from the system from the 1st of April when the leven ticket is the 1st of may seems to be unfair .

Bulmer

Reaction score
Any one know of the reason why a big ticket holder is allowed to take a springer from the system from the 1st of April when the leven ticket is the 1st of may seems to be unfair .
Didn't know that but it doesn't surprise tbh😏

kinnaber

Reaction score
I’m sure the committee and most of the membership would see it a bit differently from allowing you to chap a fish in April . I’m unaware of llaia recommendations these days but if there not recommending returning all fish throughout the season they certainly should be as that system has level 3 screaming out of it most seasons now . Early fish really need protection from any level of harvesting now .

highlander gus

Reaction score
Jonnieb it's a mistake as under Scottish law it's illegal to chap a salmon before 1st of May so no you can't even if the Committee bollixed up the permits

salmo76

Reaction score
Jonnieb it's a mistake as under Scottish law it's illegal to chap a salmon before 1st of May so no you can't even if the Committee bollixed up the permits
Think you`re mixed up , is it not the 1st of April under Scottish law ? Don`t want to start another ccr debate but there is absolutely no evidence that chapping an April rod caught fish as against a May fish makes the slightest difference to salmon runs , results in more springers and is therefore a crucial component of salmon conservation. Others may think differently , however , their views are based solely on dogma , with no evidence to back up their thesis that April run fish are a different breed to May, June , July or August run fish. Personally, I`m of the view that if you wish to retain a fish it should always be one that is in prime edible condition and I prefer to return fish later in the season. That used to be the old orthodoxy of some very wise anglers in the distant past but like much in the modern age , their thinking has been turned upside down by the new kids on the block.

Last edited:

Royal Game

Reaction score
Thanks Salmo76.
Likewise don't want to get into another Compulsory C&R debate as the opposing views in my opinion are deeply embedded without much definitive evidence either way, but even looking at the trends, although there was a downward trend for many years - this has become much more pronounced since anglers were forced to return fish.

My question is really what damage is catching and returning a fresh run salmon actually doing? Is it causing more damage long term than keeping the fish?

I read in the Bitter and Twisted blog a post which I took heart from and actually backed up something I have been reading about for a while now and this is the effect on fertility that stress causes. From what I have read, the natural stress on a migratory fish changing from salt to fresh water is immense. Although a fish can naturally cope with this it cannot cope with additional stress such as this caused by an angler hooking and playing it.

Although I cannot find anywhere definitive info on how many fresh run salmon and sea trout die after being released, there are quite a few published papers which quantify the reduction in fertility that stress causes.

Perhaps it would be better not fishing for them at all as this is the only way to guarantee an angler doesn't stress a fish.

John

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
1st of may is what it says as above. That’s the ruling for full members . There’s obviously a mistake on the permit and not some conspiracy to get one over non members

Royal Game

Reaction score
1st of may is what it says as above. That’s the ruling for full members . There’s obviously a mistake on the permit and not some conspiracy to get one over non members
That's all very well for existing members who have seen the annual report.

For new members - going by what's written in black & white on the permit they receive - then there's a definite chance of making a mistake.

The committee need to firstly check the writing on the tickets before they go out to correct this in future - especially if it's been ongoing for 3 years, but also there needs to be some communication to everyone to confirm a mistake has been made, apologise for it and ensure that everyone to include new members aren't penalised for this.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I just looked at their facepuke page where they’ve put out a statement that for catagory rules for a cat 2 river , all salmon caught before 1st may must be returned . It’s on the website news and blogs

jonnieb

Reaction score
??? Don’t know
Mystery solved LLAIA UPDATED THERE WEBSITE last night on when you can take a fish now if only one of the committee members could have replied to my original post last week it could have been sorted out a lot quicker 😉

Royal Game

Reaction score
Mystery solved LLAIA UPDATED THERE WEBSITE last night on when you can take a fish now if only one of the committee members could have replied to my original post last week it could have been sorted out a lot quicker 😉
My point above is still the same jonnieb. If someone has a ticket which states something in writing and there is no requirement for them to read any facebook, blog, forum or website then they should not be held responsible for making a mistake.

It's up to the committee to sort this out and not by merely updating a webpage. Not everyone even reads this forum.