River Leven/loch Lomond 2021

Reaction score
Got the LLAIA AGM paper and our catches are down last year although it think i've spotted a glaring mistake i the returns :rolleyes: on the Endrick in September there was two grilse caught for 60lb :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: either that or I'm camping out on the banks of the Endrick in September for a monster fish

Royal Game

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new member to this forum though have fished for years. I used to fish Loch Lomond when my dad was still alive and hired a boat from MacFarlane at Balmaha. Could someone please let me know if this is still possible or if there is somewhere else I should look to hire a boat as it's been many years since I've been in the central belt?

Still too cold for me but would love to get back on the loch this year.

Thanks

John

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new member to this forum though have fished for years. I used to fish Loch Lomond when my dad was still alive and hired a boat from MacFarlane at Balmaha. Could someone please let me know if this is still possible or if there is somewhere else I should look to hire a boat as it's been many years since I've been in the central belt?

Still too cold for me but would love to get back on the loch this year.

Thanks

John
McFarlane no longer have boats for hire. I too used to hire from there. There was a question on this topic in the last year forum.

Royal Game

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been spoken about, but how is the sea tout fishing in Lomond nowadays? I used to enjoy fly fishing the loch about 25 years ago but didn't see many mentions of the loch sea trout fishing in the website. I saw one guy had a good day on the competition, but not much else and was curious.

I know sea trout numbers aren't as good anywhere now as they were 25 years ago but really wanted to go round the islands like I used to and would appreciate any advice / info anyone's able to share.

Thanks

lexi

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been spoken about, but how is the sea tout fishing in Lomond nowadays? I used to enjoy fly fishing the loch about 25 years ago but didn't see many mentions of the loch sea trout fishing in the website. I saw one guy had a good day on the competition, but not much else and was curious.

I know sea trout numbers aren't as good anywhere now as they were 25 years ago but really wanted to go round the islands like I used to and would appreciate any advice / info anyone's able to share.

Thanks
Sept/Oct is probably best bet. I start fly fishing around August. Hard fishing but still a great day out on interesting drifts and you never know with Loch Lomond. I think the Insurance thing has affected boat hire. Insurers demand Class Type on boats for hire and the standard must be high. McFarlane had lovely old fly fishing boats, but they were Larch clinker built and AFAIK. nobody will insure those boats now for that purpose.

rubberwellie

Reaction score

Thanks
You could consider joining the voldac. Although that would require investing in a boat. Walk on moorings provide unrestricted access to the Loch all season long.

In addition to the sea trout you also have the option of salmon, ferox and pike as I’m sure you are aware. The salmon and sea trout fishing is hit or miss but there aren’t many better places for a day out particularly from May - July as I’m sure you are also aware.

Royal Game

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks, very helpful.

I always thought that VOLDAC was only for local residents, at least that was the case when I used to fish the loch many years ago, and as I have now moved to Glasgow didn't think this was an option, but will look into it. Appreciate the advice.

Lexi - thanks for confirming sea trout timings, and is more or less what I thought but disappointed Aug isn't producing any more. I used to fly fish from the end of July with my dad, and we did quite well in August in the 1980's both for size and quality (still silver) but not really been keeping up to speed with Lomond recently so was curious.

Not really looked at boats, and I remember the beautiful clinker boats McFarlane used to have. Just a shame they're no longer available. I didn't want to invest in a boat as I've nowhere to keep it hence I was looking to hire, but if VOLDAC is an option, then I'll look at that.

Thanks all,

John

para1

Reaction score
Leven Level 33+ins. The SEPA site has been down for some time, it should read around 2.000. Ref sandbags, not quite yet.

para1

Reaction score
1614195154852.png

para1

Reaction score
LLAIA site ok again. Level level 24ins above the red. Found another way into Sepa site, now reads 1.678.

Last edited:

para1

Reaction score
Gus, go to Sepa site water level data. Station Name Linnbrane Paage 1-19 go to page 12. Can't copy & paste.