River Leven/loch Lomond 2021

highlander gus

Reaction score
Gus, it was you who said previously that we should get the fish farmers to pay for restocking and I agreed with you. have you changed your mind?
"but they should be made to pay a levy which is used to repopulate rivers wiped out"
Only problem is it’s down to the Government to impose this which might never see the light of day

highlander gus

Reaction score
It might have been hot and toasty yesterday but 😂all I could manage was brownies

Attachments

• 6936E70A-9293-4B67-872F-19BD79167B2A.jpeg
    6936E70A-9293-4B67-872F-19BD79167B2A.jpeg
    405.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

highlander gus

Reaction score
Your wrong about the origin of the fish used for the Carron hatchery Gus. they were taken from the few fish returning naturally to the Carron and caught by anglers. I know this because I provided one of them that I caught on the system and at that time it was the only cock fish they had. Dont know where you got your information from but it is wrong to say they were from the fish farm. I have fished the West coast Carron system for more than 20 years so I know what I am talking about.
Ok but if it was only cock fish how did they get fry 🤔 and I lived in that neck of the woods for 20 years although it was the civilised side 😂😂 I thought I read it in the T&S TBH they did a bit about Bob and the boxes anglers put all fish they caught in them for him to mark & release whoch is where he said of one fish it had been re caught a few times

silver salmon

Reaction score
Ok but if it was only cock fish how did they get fry 🤔 and I lived in that neck of the woods for 20 years although it was the civilised side 😂😂 I thought I read it in the T&S TBH they did a bit about Bob and the boxes anglers put all fish they caught in them for him to mark & release whoch is where he said of one fish it had been re caught a few times
I was told they already had a few hen fish when I provided the cock fish. When you fish the Carron you are handed a keep net, into which you place your salmon if you catch one. After fixing the net to the bank securely in an area where there is a reasonable flow, you phone Bob Kindness, who collects the fish and pan-jet marks it in such a unique way that he is able to recognise the fish if it is caught again. He will either return the fish or reserve it for the hatchery. He also informed me that using the keep net allows the fish to recover properly for more than 15 mins before release, thus greatly increasing its chances of survival after being released. The system is 100% ccr.

highlander gus

Reaction score
I was told they already had a few hen fish when I provided the cock fish. When you fish the Carron you are handed a keep net, into which you place your salmon if you catch one. After fixing the net to the bank securely in an area where there is a reasonable flow, you phone Bob Kindness, who collects the fish and pan-jet marks it in such a unique way that he is able to recognise the fish if it is caught again. He will either return the fish or reserve it for the hatchery. He also informed me that using the keep net allows the fish to recover properly for more than 15 mins before release, thus greatly increasing its chances of survival after being released. The system is 100% ccr.
Mind you if you tried that on the Leven you'd need to be billy whiz to get to the fish first :LOL: :LOL: I had mentioned pan jet marking the spring fish caught to see where they go for spawning as this would be the part of the system I would concentrate my efforts on firstly then perhaps the back end fish next, the grilse run would appear to be evaporating as there wasn't that many caught last year.
Read the LLAIA update regarding fish numbers and it's not only here but over the entire country there has been a steady decline which will only continue, I think it's time to apply a full ban on killing fish over 9lb on the system if your lucky enough to get a grilse then let the angler decide with the tags, but it is complete irresponsibility to be chapping what is left of our stock just because you can.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Are you volunteering ;)
What to sort the system out single handedly? Why not... :rolleyes::D

To be honest I'm feeling quite despondent about the future of the system. It's all very well saying that this could be done or that could be done, however I am starting to reach the conclusion that the job of restoring the fortunes of the system is too big for a committee of part time volunteers. There are a lot of challenges to overcome, issues are becoming more serious and progress is slow.

Short of all the fish farms on the west coast being moved onto land no single measure is going to have a significant impact on our fishing.

The committee do some good work but it's not enough. The task now looks bigger than the level of resource being thrown at it. I would like to see a long term improvement plan made public with different work streams that volunteers can get involved in based on their area of interest or professional skills and experience - a properly managed programme of work.

Maybe the volunteers wouldn't be forthcoming, maybe they would, however the opportunity should be given to all members via an official channel. It wouldn't be difficult to send a form out with the permits asking members to tick a box if they would be interested in supporting project A, B or C - each led by an appropriate committee member. A resource pool could then be built up for when support is required.

On a separate note, jet skis on the Loch are becoming a major problem. The shoreline from Strathcashel point to the ivy cottage was unfishable yesterday, as was Inchlonaig. National Park my arse. If left unchecked they could be the final nail in the coffin of Loch Lomond as a fishing location. Maybe they will piss off when things go back to normal but without stricter policing their numbers are more likely to increase year on year.

lexi

Reaction score
It does seem that the problems for Lomond and other west coast systems are insurmountable ATM. Apart from Lamonds era of massive pollution, I don't think we have had so many cumulative problems. We are never going to be able to cull seals on our coasts and rivers with a woosy liberal society. We are up against an over powerful RSPB and add Aquaculture and controlling Fish Science that does nothing to help actual fishing. I won't give Lomond up, as it is a Rite of Passage for me, but the future of it all is in question. We should start to attack with demos outside fish farms and Holyrood, along with putting more money and resources into our Fishing Improvements and Stocking. Yip, as membership dwindles, the ticket price must go up to compensate and to try and make improvements.

highlander gus

Reaction score
What to sort the system out single handedly? Why not... :rolleyes::D

To be honest I'm feeling quite despondent about the future of the system. It's all very well saying that this could be done or that could be done, however I am starting to reach the conclusion that the job of restoring the fortunes of the system is too big for a committee of part time volunteers. There are a lot of challenges to overcome, issues are becoming more serious and progress is slow.

Short of all the fish farms on the west coast being moved onto land no single measure is going to have a significant impact on our fishing.

The committee do some good work but it's not enough. The task now looks bigger than the level of resource being thrown at it. I would like to see a long term improvement plan made public with different work streams that volunteers can get involved in based on their area of interest or professional skills and experience - a properly managed programme of work.

Maybe the volunteers wouldn't be forthcoming, maybe they would, however the opportunity should be given to all members via an official channel. It wouldn't be difficult to send a form out with the permits asking members to tick a box if they would be interested in supporting project A, B or C - each led by an appropriate committee member. A resource pool could then be built up for when support is required.

On a separate note, jet skis on the Loch are becoming a major problem. The shoreline from Strathcashel point to the ivy cottage was unfishable yesterday, as was Inchlonaig. National Park my arse. If left unchecked they could be the final nail in the coffin of Loch Lomond as a fishing location. Maybe they will piss off when things go back to normal but without stricter policing their numbers are more likely to increase year on year.
Yep for a national park it’s piss poor, what you need is a 59 lb bait rod & 5oz of lead and just accidentally cast it in their direction 😱🙈 that will keep em back a bit, the LLAIA should be harrying the park rangers over this or fighting to get an exclusion zone set up for anglers, who were there long before it became fashionable

Last edited:

Cmk1983

Reaction score
Hi folks, I went and left my mcleans landing net down the piles yesterday at the Glebe side.if any one on here has heard of one being found let me know thanks.Craig.

K MacC

Reaction score
Whitetail / sea eagles are all that Loch Lomond needs. Eating killing machines taking lambs and attracting more visitors into an over crowded area. It is interesting that the parks authority put a restriction area around the first attempted nest site however they do little to restrict joy riding Jet skiers.

highlander gus

Reaction score
Whitetail / sea eagles are all that Loch Lomond needs. Eating killing machines taking lambs and attracting more visitors into an over crowded area. It is interesting that the parks authority put a restriction area around the first attempted nest site however they do little to restrict joy riding Jet skiers.
Salmon aren't fluffy or cuddly 🙄 so they won't get the visitors cooing ...

K MacC

Reaction score
They eat anything within their grip. Up in the Outer Hebribes they take geese, fish, Lambs and any carrion. The biggest problem will be the sight seers who want to see them leaving their crap behind themselves and the impact on the environment.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Wonder if they like eating goosanders 🤔🤔🤔
They are not like goosanders and other FEB's like cormorants who hoover up all the small stuff that goes down their throat. More likely to take one big meals and then sit to digest it while covering tens if not hundreds of miles while soaring. They only need about 500g of food a day even while rearing chicks. One fish and done so more sustainable. Allow eagles that are 'natural' inland and get rid of inland sea birds!

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
They are not like goosanders and other FEB's like cormorants who hoover up all the small stuff that goes down their throat. More likely to take one big meals and then sit to digest it while covering tens if not hundreds of miles while soaring. They only need about 500g of food a day even while rearing chicks. One fish and done so more sustainable. Allow eagles that are 'natural' inland and get rid of inland sea birds!
Think you quoted the wrong post 👍