River Kent

Pancho

Reaction score
I once counted over 100 salmon on the straight on watercrook - it was 30 years ago admittedly -they wouldnt look at a thing but the fishe were there in numbers. force falls in sept/oct used to be a sight to see-the bluemills falls at backbarrow on the leven were much the same in october/november-so many fish

Wish I was borne and fished the Kent earlier mate still a fantastic river though hopefully it will come back

mastercaster

Reaction score
My mate had 3 today mate

Any size and fresh? Great to hear some action. Had a look at force falls yesterday morning but river was too big from any fish to have a go at the main stem of the falls. No one fishing the Waste which was a surprise

billy mc bride

Reaction score
I lived at grange over sands 1990 Used to go under the road bridge Levens hall. River Kent Was 100s salmon sea trout coming in off the tide wonderful sight.

Pancho

Reaction score
Any size and fresh? Great to hear some action. Had a look at force falls yesterday morning but river was too big from any fish to have a go at the main stem of the falls. No one fishing the Waste which was a surprise

Ranged from 5 - 7lb two coloured fish and one quite fresh which he retained

Pancho

Reaction score
Don't understand why anyone would kill a fish with salmon stocks as they are.

Thanks for your input I personally wouldn't take a fish this year but that's my stance but I may take an odd one in the future. I am certainly not going to criticise anglers taking an occasional fish for the table. With your rationale if stocks are so bad are we not just better not fishing for Salmon !!!

digbyhodgson

Reaction score
Thanks for your input I personally wouldn't take a fish this year but that's my stance but I may take an odd one in the future. I am certainly not going to criticise anglers taking an occasional fish for the table. With your rationale if stocks are so bad are we not just better not fishing for Salmon !!!

There is always the possibility that the EA could introduce a total ban on rivers at any time for not meet their required spawning targets and that would not be in anyones interest. if say 500 rods take "one for the table" that's 500 that will not spawn. There are plenty of so called "do gooders" just waiting to get Country Pursuit Sports banned. We should therefore not give them any ammunition for this to happen.

Pancho

Reaction score
I get that mate but total catch and release also plays into the hands of the looney ban it brigade in that we are just fishing for sport other than to bring food to the table. Enforcement with regard to bag limits / catch and release with regard to each river are what is needed based on the runs of each river and solid science. EA totally out of touch. The Kent has been in decline since 2012 if in 2012 a bag limit had been introduced lets say for 2 fish we could have seen a different picture but oh no lets do nothing for 7 years and then produce a sledgehammer

carma2

Reaction score
I get that mate but total catch and release also plays into the hands of the looney ban it brigade in that we are just fishing for sport other than to bring food to the table. Enforcement with regard to bag limits / catch and release with regard to each river are what is needed based on the runs of each river and solid science. EA totally out of touch. The Kent has been in decline since 2012 if in 2012 a bag limit had been introduced lets say for 2 fish we could have seen a different picture but oh no lets do nothing for 7 years and then produce a sledgehammer

none of the rivers in the north west of England have been the same since 2012 not just the Kent , I believe kill numbers by anglers are nothing to do with the sudden falling off a cliff of fish numbers .
more likely netted at sea by the Faroese and Greenlanders as they threatened to do in 2010.

Pancho

Reaction score
none of the rivers in the north west of England have been the same since 2012 not just the Kent , I believe kill numbers by anglers are nothing to do with the sudden falling off a cliff of fish numbers .
more likely netted at sea by the Faroese and Greenlanders as they threatened to do in 2010.

Spot on mate

mastercaster

Reaction score
100% agree Pancho, several more fish caught late last week and some quality fish too. Seen more fish photos in the past month than the past 8 years combined. Bloody typical when I'm going to miss most if not all the season with a snapped achilles :mad:

Pancho

Reaction score
Ouch sorry to hear that mate the run started just as I was back to work from furlough LOL. I got a 7lb bar of silver on Sunday though safely returned

Stang

Reaction score
Can you still get day tickets for Staveley AA from the post office in Staveley? Cheers

Stang

Reaction score
Thanks Mrh.... Tickets were easier to get than the fish! Didn't expect much, need some rain.... Nice place to lose a day though

mastercaster

Reaction score
Stopped for over an hour at Stramongate weir on Sunday this week and saw only a handful of coloured seatrout, no signs of any salmon. On a good running water it was disappointing. Similar with the news I have on the Lune, looks like a decent summer run of fish has not been backed up an autumn influx of fish.

long Preston

Reaction score
n
Stopped for over an hour at Stramongate weir on Sunday this week and saw only a handful of coloured seatrout, no signs of any salmon. On a good running water it was disappointing. Similar with the news I have on the Lune, looks like a decent summer run of fish has not been backed up an autumn influx of fish.
no its all gone rather quiet in line with the last 3/4 years-not much fresh fish activity after early sept

Pancho

Reaction score
Had a coloured fish 8lb yesterday safely returned a few about showing but all coloured we have had a decent summer run but the autumn run hasn't happened we had no water in September so maybe that's a factor

mastercaster

Reaction score
Looks like some much needed rain now back in the forecast for next week. Well done on your fish Pancho. Heard of a few taken the past two weeks from pretty much all areas of the KAA stretch so must be some sort of head of fish on the Kent, although have heard not many fish showing which may give the impression the river is empty

Pancho

Reaction score
Looks like some much needed rain now back in the forecast for next week. Well done on your fish Pancho. Heard of a few taken the past two weeks from pretty much all areas of the KAA stretch so must be some sort of head of fish on the Kent, although have heard not many fish showing which may give the impression the river is empty

Seen more fish this year than the last 5 years combined mate they seem to be in small pods though Watercrook Golf course and Trough some of the usual spots like Bluebell Sheepdub etc seem to be devoid of fish