River Kelvin and Signal cray fish

Reaction score
Heard on the news BBC Radio Scotland this morning that signal cray fish have been found on the Kelvin, i hope they can get to grips with this and help contain this out break, anglers who fish this river and others should take precautions to ensure that it's not spread to further rivers in the area, hopefully they can keep the numbers down to a level which will not compete with the salmon as this river has started to pick up it would now be a shame that all the good work has been undone by one careless action :(

GN

Reaction score
It is almost impossible to erradicate them. I am a member of a beat on the River Lea outside Hertford and they appeared there about 5 or so years ago. We now have 50 traps and take about 12-15000 per year and the population only appears to have stabilised. Our "worst" day was 720 in the traps.

keirstream

Reaction score
It is almost impossible to erradicate them. I am a member of a beat on the River Lea outside Hertford and they appeared there about 5 or so years ago. We now have 50 traps and take about 12-15000 per year and the population only appears to have stabilised. Our "worst" day was 720 in the traps.
How do you dispose of them?
Apart from the fact that they make wonderful eating it is an offence to remove them live from a watercourse in Scotland and Iam not sure about their use in restaurants what with all the Accredited Source legislation.
The real trick is to try and target the small crayfish and leave the larger population to police what is left of the small ones.
Easier said than done but I guess doing nothing is not an option.
Everyone is waiting for a myximatosis being developed for the bandits.

Reaction score
Protected

How do you dispose of them?
Apart from the fact that they make wonderful eating it is an offence to remove them live from a watercourse in Scotland and Iam not sure about their use in restaurants what with all the Accredited Source legislation.
The real trick is to try and target the small crayfish and leave the larger population to police what is left of the small ones.
Easier said than done but I guess doing nothing is not an option.
Everyone is waiting for a myximatosis being developed for the bandits.
Wierd that we protect an alien species in our water course, i hope SEPA or SNH will undertake the removal of these wee bandits, apparently they are nice with a rosemary sauce ;)

hingin

Reaction score
crayfish

hi all

these wee bandits can,t fly or drive along motorways
they 9 times out of 10 in rivers are planted there by
worse bandits and yes the worst of all thing is you need
a feckin licence to trap them.

HINGIN

Brian Whitelaw

Banned
Reaction score
hi all

these wee bandits can,t fly or drive along motorways
they 9 times out of 10 in rivers are planted there by
worse bandits and yes the worst of all thing is you need
a feckin licence to trap them.

HINGIN

Usan Salmon Fisheries probably already has a licence to trap them....maybe just waiting on the Scottish Government approving another E.E.C grant to make it profitable enough for them ....:rolleyes::mad:

Last edited:

Blue Zulu

Reaction score
Once established American Signal Crawfish (ASC) are very hard to eradicate. My local river system the Dee/Ken (Kirkcudbrightshire) has a massive population with loch Ken in particular being the worst affected.

Marine Scotland secured funding for a trial whereby a local lobster fisherman put a creel boat on the loch and fished for them with creels. Over a five month period last year he caught and humanely destroyed under a Million Crawfish weighing 20 tonnes.

The executive summary of the study can be read by clicking here.

This had a minimal impact on the population and the long term plan is to keep them at manageable level as it would be impossible to eradicate them altogether.

The latest Proposals from the Galloway Fisheries Trust and Scottish Power, is to help encourage European eel populations in the loch. It is hoped the "major natural predator" of young crayfish could play a part in maintaining the "ecological balance" of the loch and surrounding area.

A BBC News article can be read by clicking here.

ASC can move around out of water and can move from one particular river system to another quite easily. This is quite worrying considering the close proximity of the Doon to the Ken/Dee system and not too far away are the sources of the Tweed, Annan, Nith, Clyde etc.

I do hope that something can be done quickly to help the Kelvin. I fear however that it will be a case of “Too little – Too late”. Legislation will probably require that some sort of study is carried out then there will be the problem of funding and before you know it - it will be too late!!!!

Tarpon

Reaction score
you can buy folding sort of creels from ebay,cost a tenner i think,piece of chicken will do but a bit of liver probably the best.